Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm not sure why education about FGM or wife burnings needs to be put in quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Considering that the OP is arguing that the impetus for change will come externally, I don't see why it's weird to interpret the thread as Colonialism 2.0

OwlBot 2000 posted:

I'm not proposing any kind of invasion of India, just strong guidance from other countries on key issues backed by the threat of sanctions. Is that colonialism? Of course, but if it's in connection to women's rights issues, poverty reduction, or public health I'm all for it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Do you believe outside NGOs are colonial powers?

If you can't differentiate between an NGO holding educational classes on contraceptives and a foreign government imposing sanctions...

Look at the can of worms that Jim Kim and the World Bank just opened by killing a bunch of loans to Uganda due to them not hewing the line on gay rights...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Actually the post I quoted explicitly stated sanctions so you're pretty much wrong.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Wife burnings and caste are egregious but where do you draw the line on what deserves foreign intervention?

Women get paid $0.77 for every $1 that men get. Racism is still entrenched in vast swathes of the country with widespread attempts at disenfranchisement.
Should we send foreign peacekeepers into the States and impose sanctions on US exports till this changes?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How about prison culture in the US?
That poo poo is enough for UN peacekeepers I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yup, the Economist, neoliberal paper of note, refused to endorse Modi due to his involvement in the anti Muslim pogrom. I'm not sure Western media has been that fawning of him.

• Locked thread