Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Thundercracker posted:

I really don't know why people disagree with me that "Do Nothing" is the best idea when half the ideas in this thread amount to "Bring back the British" and the other half is "Cull the unwashed herd"

Like, this thread itself is proof enough that trying to "educate" India would be an unbelievable moral disaster. We'd like to pretend that through debate and discussion the most noble and bright ideas will be acted upon, but any look at history will tell you that what happens is that the most exploitative and racist ideas are the ones with the most traction.

Show me an instance of Western powers trying to educate a people they see as a problem, and in need of a solution that didn't turn into a complete shitshow.

I feel like, terrible posts aside, this is a weird way to interpret this thread. You could easily re-phrase the question as "What should India do to speed up its development?" and get the same sorts of answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, but that's obviously a silly idea (sanctions!), so I'm just surprised people haven't moved past it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

This isn't necessarily a good thing at all. Indian construction standards outside of the big cities is a joke at best. Even in places like Hyderabad they have 2 or 3 deaths a week due to scaffolding collapsing because they don't know how to lash it properly.

They even passed a law here in AP to spur growth that if a contractor completes 50% of the building, he receives 80% of the agreed upon contract value. At that point they cease construction and demand outrageous sums to finish. The result is you have hundreds of empty skeletons dotting Hyderabad built by contractor who never had any intentions of completing them. They're poorly built and are like unsalvageable, and will probably cost more to tear down than they did to build.

On top of that, it's not like the construction workers get anything out of it other than slave wages. They live in slums around the construction site. Their homes are whatever they can salvage for frames (trees, stolen rebar, whatever) covered in tarps. They're rampant with disease, there's no fresh drinking water or sewage, rapes are endemic, etc.

Interesting that the situation is essentially the same as it is for low-skilled Indian laborers abroad.

• Locked thread