Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I'm on the east coast. This is a tech college town and it's packed as hell.

At least I'm not the dude who came in with a sword hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

HairyManling posted:

IGN put their review up about ten minutes ago. They gave it a 9/10, for whatever review scores may be worth.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/03/11/dark-souls-2-review
IGN's main gripe is that it punishes you for dying.

So really it's a 11/10 :smug:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
All I can say is that it took me 5 hours to progress out of the starting area. Hope you all are prepared.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

quote:

- Players lose 10% of their total HP every time they die, maxing out at 50% (a la Demon's Souls).
From someone who died a lot in Dark Souls, this is the only part that concerns me. After dying a few times to a boss, am I just going to want to give up for good because my character is half as strong as he used to be, and the boss is still kicking my rear end?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Satorr posted:

You fool, we'll be dead before 1am EDT.

Praise the Gin

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Harminoff posted:

All I can say is that it took me 5 hours to progress out of the starting area. Hope you all are prepared.

Was it just that big or just that full of things killing you?

BJPaskoff posted:

From someone who died a lot in Dark Souls, this is the only part that concerns me. After dying a few times to a boss, am I just going to want to give up for good because my character is half as strong as he used to be, and the boss is still kicking my rear end?

Near as I can tell, you just need to expend a "Human Effigy" to totally restore your humanity and your health points and they drop semi-regularly from certain enemies. So it punishes repeat failures but not too much.

Not a big fan of the whole "you fail and the game gets HARDER!" mechanic but at least it's not as bad as Demon's Souls.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Mutation posted:

IGN's main gripe is that it punishes you for dying.

So really it's a 11/10 :smug:

Yeah, it reads like a 10 and the only real complaint is the death penalty. Odd complaint for a Souls game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BJPaskoff posted:

This is how it worked in demon souls but it's more lenient. Odds are there will be a ring that gives you health back

The penalty in ds2 is more lenient

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

Just like Demon's Souls its safe to assume that the game is balanced such that you can beat it at 50% health.

e: or they just make it super easy to regain your max health.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 11, 2014

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Speedball posted:

Was it just that big or just that full of things killing you?

Near as I can tell, you just need to expend a "Human Effigy" to totally restore your humanity and your health points and they drop semi-regularly from certain enemies. So it punishes repeat failures but not too much.

Not a big fan of the whole "you fail and the game gets HARDER!" mechanic but at least it's not as bad as Demon's Souls.

It's more of having no idea where to go than anything.

Also, you get plenty of human effigy which brings your health to full health. Don't worry about it.

If anything, the weapons degrading until you hit a bonfire is more of a scare then that.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 11, 2014

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

HairyManling posted:

Yeah, it reads like a 10 and the only real complaint is the death penalty. Odd complaint for a Souls game.

But if they give Dark Souls 2 a 10, they wouldn't be able to give more deserving games such as Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid 4 perfect 10s.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

If difficulty is balanced more around 50% health, than 100%, then no. Don't think of it as punishment, but losing a bonus. Said bonus exists to give you a buffer to learn encounters. Encounters which are otherwise balanced around you handling them well enough at 50% health, provided you have some experience under your belt. Enter, that health bonus.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

BJPaskoff posted:

In Demon's Souls it helped to just think of your health at 50% as being full and going human being a stat buff. The game was balanced for that. I'm going to assume they didn't gently caress that up returning to the Demon's Soulsish model.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
It's the loving network test all over again... Can't log in to the server! Offline mode for tonight I guess.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

superh posted:

It's the loving network test all over again... Can't log in to the server! Offline mode for tonight I guess.

Uh it's not 12am dude. PST.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Remember when the gaming press poo poo all over Demon's Souls and Dark Souls until enough people said they liked the games that reviewers actually tried them? And now Dark Souls 2 is getting a 9/10 prerelease.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

AlmightyBob posted:

Remember when the gaming press poo poo all over Demon's Souls and Dark Souls until enough people said they liked the games that reviewers actually tried them? And now Dark Souls 2 is getting a 9/10 prerelease.

Games journalism is great isn't it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Harminoff posted:

So there's not even like a Crestfallen Warrior guy who gives you a little hint on what might be next? Hmmm…sadistic.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Speedball posted:

Within the first ten minutes of that quick look you can see a vendor selling 5 human effigies. I dont think theyre going to be insanely rare.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Shindragon posted:

Uh it's not 12am dude. PST.

Got it in midnight release, I'm playing now. Not talking about psn download.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

superh posted:

Namco is California based.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol shout out to the dudes who are here for the Titan fall releases getting mad about ecigs LOLOLOL

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Though it's also super possible that the servers are just going to be busted for a while.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Harminoff posted:

Also, you get plenty of human effigy which brings your health to full health. Don't worry about it.

If anything, the weapons degrading until you hit a bonfire is more of a scare then that.

Weapons degrade? As in the damage they do per swing goes down slowly between bonfires? Or do you mean they degrade the same as in Dark Souls where they're like 100% effective until they break?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Already the most time I've spent in a gamestop and I hate it

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

superh posted:

No I meant the servers bro. They are in Namco (which is in California). Basically once it hits midnight pretty sure servers should go up for the release of the game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Ultrajeaous of the midnight crew right now. My soul is prepared to die, but my body needs to sleep first. :sigh:

This is going to be worse than Christmas when you're a kid.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Merauder posted:

Ultrajeaous of the midnight crew right now. My soul is prepared to die, but my body needs to sleep first. :sigh:

This is going to be worse than Christmas when you're a kid.

Hah I went out to the midnight thing and I'm gonna sleep before I tear into it. I'm too exhausted to play this kind of thing, I'll look like Darksydephil.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Shindragon posted:

No I meant the servers bro. They are in Namco (which is in California). Basically once it hits midnight pretty sure servers should go up for the release of the game.

They're not up. I'm attempting to log into them right now.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

GreatGreen posted:

Weapons degrade? As in the damage they do per swing goes down slowly between bonfires? Or do you mean they degrade the same as in Dark Souls where they're like 100% effective until they break?

As far as I understand it. There is a bar under your weapon and armor that decreases as you progress and sitting at a bonfire resets it.

My only issue with the game is going to a merchant I couldn't figure out how to compare what I have to what they are offering so I have no idea if it's an upgrade unless I leave that screen and go to my armor/weapon screen.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Shindragon posted:

Haven't they been up for like, a week? Or have all the streamers been offline?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
As in it hits midnight here in PST time. I"m not sure, I really haven't been paying attention (streams) I do know that people are getting banned for being online early so...

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!
So is there any truth to rumors I heard about there being less grindiness for this game compared to dark souls? If so I may have to get this ASAP.

But not midnight release. You people hanging at gamestop are scary.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Revdomezehis posted:

So is there any truth to rumors I heard about there being less grindiness for this game compared to dark souls?

Dark Souls wasn't grindy? You can speedrun through it. In what way did you feel it was? I suppose if you're relying on stats and don't get good at fighting you'll be grinding for souls to level up but you can (fairly easily) beat the game at SL1. I honestly don't understand your complaint.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Catts posted:

Why is the PC version so far away :(

EC posted:

Namco has also said that the additional time needed between console and PC release is to nail down mouse/keyboard controls.

:argh: Come the gently caress on, Namco. Shitloads of players will be using gamepads. I have my 360 Controller for Windows right here. Why can't they just release it at launch with whatever KB+M controls they have now and patch the better ones in later, so the gamepad users don't have to wait a whole 5-6 weeks?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Revdomezehis posted:

So is there any truth to rumors I heard about there being less grindiness for this game compared to dark souls? If so I may have to get this ASAP.

But not midnight release. You people hanging at gamestop are scary.

Uh, how was Dark Souls grindy at all?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Also, you pick up a lot of torches but they wont show in your inventory. Hit a fire to ignite them. That really confused me.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Robawesome posted:

Dark Souls wasn't grindy? You can speedrun through it. In what way did you feel it was? I suppose if you're relying on stats and don't get good at fighting you'll be grinding for souls to level up but you can (fairly easily) beat the game at SL1. I honestly don't understand your complaint.

Yeah, agreed. Genuinely curious what the perceived "grind" was in DS1?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

BreakAtmo posted:

:argh: Come the gently caress on, Namco. Shitloads of players will be using gamepads. I have my 360 Controller for Windows right here. Why can't they just release it at launch with whatever KB+M controls they have now and patch the better ones in later, so the gamepad users don't have to wait a whole 5-6 weeks?

5-6 weeks does sound like a lot, but then again think about how hard people shat all over Dark Souls 1 for its totally unacceptable KB+M controls?

That said... they really couldn't have found time over the last year or so to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I don't think you can call a game you can beat without leveling up "grindy".

• Locked thread