Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

BlackFrost posted:

Also, gently caress the god drat dragon they added to Heide's. Guess I'm not bluebro-ing for a while!

That dragon is a lil bitch if you follow this one weird trick - As you approach the set of stairs with the spear Heide Knight, kite him down with some kind of ranged attack and kill him. You don't want to get to the top of the stairs before you've taken out the knight. Once he's dead, let your stamina recharge fully, and sprint from the top of the stairs to the dragon's feet. He might start to use his fire breath while you're doing this, but if you haven't already aggroed him, you'll have time to get past the hitbox. Once you're underneath him, wail on his nutz and watch out for his super telegraphed stomps. If he starts flapping his wings, he's about to jump into the air and use his fire AOE. When you see those wings a-flappin, just run back to the other platform and wait it out. Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I'm down. Ill probably get back into DS2 when I've finished with the Old Hunters. My PSN name is ledouxca

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

DS2 definitely feels the worst in terms of animation, especially returning to it from Bloodborne, but I love its build variety and the fact that you can get a distinct one going in 30-45 mins on a new character. The level design, although definitely not as good or detailed as the other games, somewhat makes up for it with variety and having multiple paths available to you at the start. That being said, it does seem like quite a few areas are unfinished, at least in terms of textures. The Bastille in particular has lots of lovely cube rooms and outside areas where the textures on buildings are obviously tiled from top to bottom which looks quite naff. Also the distant forest view from the FOFG visible from the area with the ladder that leads to the shortsword, you know, with the same lazy texture problem and N64 trees?

The best areas in DS2 are the FOFG, No Man's Wharf, Huntsman's Copse, Doors Of Pharros, Brightstone Cave Tseldora and the Dragon Shrine and all the DLC which is the best part by far.

And fortunately the multiplayer component is the strong. Tons of coop and PVP and I get plenty of invasions which are a blast.

I love this series so much. I really hope we do get sci Fi souls after DS3 so it stays fresh.

Rank: Dark Souls - Demon's Souls or Bloodborne - Dark Souls 2

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

It must happen, its too good of an idea not to. Miyazaki crafting strange alien worlds and derelict spacecraft. Your character progressively becoming more of a weird gross cyborg (or not) with gameplay implications either way. Installing too many mechanical bits could make you weaker to shock attacks or increase your vulnerability to viruses (frenzy) at the benefit of speed and sheer murder power. Upgradeable mechanical arms wielding light sabers and automatic laser weaponry making disgusting and imaginative alien and hybrid creatures explode. Hire me From!

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Wow lightning spear at 22 faith does way less damage than just my two handed mace. It almost seems useless...

Unfortunately offensive faith spells have been turbo nerfed for awhile now. Your best resources with a faith build are just gonna be healing and utility spells. Defender great swords L2 BUFF move benefits from a high faith stat but that's literally end game equipment.

For variety after your pure strength build I'd suggest investing in dex and rocking a rapier and or a curved sword. Rapiers trivialize enemies and players alike once you've upgraded them a bit with a decent dex stat. Plus, fast weapons are fun after swinging around a log for a playthrough.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Put 15 in dex and int and you should be good for spell and weapon variety. Give yourself enough attunement for however many spells you want to have, that also will increase your agi stat which you want to be at least 100

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

I wish there were more then six character slots. I want a hall of fame of champs, freaks and gimmicks. I know I could make another PS4 account, but then no more PSN access.

I just made another new one last night that I can run with you guys Sunday or Monday if anyone is down.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is No Man's Wharf supposed to make me hate my existence and reconsider all of my life choices?

Are you using a torch? If not, you should bust it out when you get to the top level with the long armed freaks. Beware using it before that, there are hollow soldiers throwing oil bombs that will really gently caress you up if you're holding a torch

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Snak posted:

I hate to doublepost, but this thread seems kind of dead. I've been on a Bloodborne binge, but I really want to finish all the ds2 dlc before ds3 comes out. Can anyone break down for me the bare minimum requirements to start the dlc areas, and what the recommended levela are?

In original DS2, you will get the keys automatically when you buy the respective DLC.

In SOTFS, you'll find the Ivory King key in Drangleic Castle and the entrance is the fountain in the shrine of winter. Iron King key in the fire lizard pit next to the elevator in the Forest of Fallen Giants and the entrance is past the Iron King boss in at the end of the Iron Keep. The Sunken King key is in the pit in Majula and the entrance is past The Rotten in the Black Gulch.

You could be anywhere from level 75 and up and handle it if you have a decent enough weapon. Almost all of the DLC enemies have significant elemental resistance so you'll want to bring pure strength or dex weapons depending on your build.

A good time to start is either reaching Drangleic Castle or acquiring the Aged Feather so you don't get hosed if you find yourself stuck in a one way path.

Cheers! Happy spelunking!

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Assuming you mean the Heide knights, idk... They have a really weird move set, especially the sword guys. The one where they will kind of instantly stick their arm out to the side and poke you.

Yeah they can be hard to farm. The sword \ spear is worth it though, hot drat. I have mixed feelings on the armor swag. I wish they had a super rare drop of Solaire's set.

I'm probably gonna be playing a lot of this either today or this evening. I love rainy days and Souls!

On my newest character, I haven't committed to a build yet. I'm still trying to think of a weapon I'd like to center it around, but ive already used: Longswords, (U)Greatswords, all the clubs and hammers (check out the craftsmen's hammer if you haven't, awesome weapon), spears and lances, Greataxes, whips, Caestus...

Whats left? Scythes I guess but not sure about that moveset... Any suggestions?

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Don't use scythes, they're terrible (unless you're talking about the Scythe, which is alright).

You could give the Murakumo a try. It's kind of novel, and you can get it relatively early if you rush Ornifex.

Thanks, good suggestion. Will definitely try it out.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Snak posted:

Ugh, yes. I switched to google keyboard on my phone because voice typing is easier and the buttons are bigger so I can hit them more accurately, but it has some insane kind of auto-correct that I am not used to.

I like that there's lot of them to fight, because Heide's tower of flame was a weirdly empty and boring zone before, but I kind of miss the 100% drops that vanilla DS2 had. So far I basically hate SotFS compared to original DS2. I feel like they took a reasonable well balanced game and changed the enemy placements for a novelty "gently caress you" at the cost of balance. I mean hell, there's areas they loving emptied out. In order to make a dog hell pit, the moved like 3 dogs down to the bottom of the stairs in Lost Bastille, meaning there's none at all in the top part. It's just empty. There's the two giants and that's it. Also, I like fighting the Persuer, he rules, but why do you fight him like 6 times in the lost Bastille and then like, hardly ever again? Couldn't they have spread it out so it's like once per zone every zone?

Is it some bullshit story reason?

Hes probably pissed and desperately trying to kill you after failing to do so in the FOFG. You can fight him one more time in the Smelter Demon room in the Iron Keep, and two of them on NG+ in Drangleic Castle.

I like SOTFS. I think the new placements and increased enemies are for the better, plus there are far more summonable NPCs to balance out the tougher sections. You also get the Dull Ember way sooner, allowing to to craft some elemental weapons which can be a big help.

Also, Blood Pools. Awesome idea. I really hope its in DS3. Was it in the network test?

One criticism I do have is that the PS4 / XB1 box art is pretty weak. The Black Armor edition steel book is insanely cool and the only reason I haven't sold my PS3 copy.

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Loving the Murakamo, thank you for the suggestion! Awesome moveset, especially that 2H roll R1. I've been kicking rear end in both PVE and PVP

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Rapier in right hand, falchion in left is really fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Or powerstance Clubs, L1 R1 combo

Or 2H Large or Great Club and R2 pancake your way to Valhalla

• Locked thread