Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Tarezax posted:

Oh god, chapter 115 of the manga hit me out of nowhere and now I'm in tears. A filler chapter from a silly harem manga isn't supposed to do this goddamnit :smith:

Further cementing the best characters in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skychrono posted:

Further cementing the best characters in the manga.

But Marika didn't appear in that arc at all.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

But Marika didn't appear in that arc at all.

She appeared in 116 though. As did Chitoge's square fried egg
In greater news, Marika should be in the next episode at long last. I'm a sucker for her and I want to see a season 2 just so the parrot chapter can get animated.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah I'm pretty excited for Marika in the anime. Also the mangaka did silly extra pages poking fun at the shaft adaptation of his work.

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/nisekoi/en/0/113/5/page/2

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah I'm pretty excited for Marika in the anime. Also the mangaka did silly extra pages poking fun at the shaft adaptation of his work.

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/nisekoi/en/0/113/5/page/2

The shaft head tilt is great.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

There had better be at least one in every SHAFT show till the end of time.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

There had better be at least one in every SHAFT show till the end of time.

Oh don't worry, it already is. Just like how something's just not an MGS game without boxes, or Atelier game without barrels. It's easily SHAFT's most recognizable artistic quirk.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

I was more amused by Raku's utter confusion at SHAFT Architecture™

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

And the sudden lack of people in the school

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's completely different in the manga, isn't it?

e: Just took a look in the manga, and that's a pretty normal looking school compared to the SHAFT version. I like to think that they've spent so much time with the abstractness of -monogatari that they've forgotten how to draw things normally.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I have a theory that SHAFT draws their inspiration much more from theatrical conventions than cinematic ones. The backgrounds are more like set backdrops that suggest the environment than they are like standard backgrounds that actually depict it, crowds of people are either suggested or abstracted rather than being actually shown, and there's a tendency towards one-on-one conversations instead of group scenes. If you go back to Pani Poni Dash! (possibly the SHAFTiest thing that SHAFT ever did), the backgrounds were literal sets, with crew and understructure visible during many scenes.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Words n' stuff

You know, that makes a ton of sense and I wouldn't be surprised if SHAFT themselves admit that this is the full intention behind their animation. It certainly draws enough attention and differentiates them from other studios, which could be another alterior motive behind SHAFT doing SHAFT things.

ViggyNash posted:

It's completely different in the manga, isn't it?

e: Just took a look in the manga, and that's a pretty normal looking school compared to the SHAFT version. I like to think that they've spent so much time with the abstractness of -monogatari that they've forgotten how to draw things normally.

They honestly believe that the human neck is a ball-and-socket joint :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HiveCommander posted:

You know, that makes a ton of sense and I wouldn't be surprised if SHAFT themselves admit that this is the full intention behind their animation. It certainly draws enough attention and differentiates them from other studios, which could be another alterior motive behind SHAFT doing SHAFT things.
I think there are two important insights that SHAFT made in their style choice. The first is that they treat animation as its own medium, not as a substitute for film, which frees them from a number of constraints about how things are "supposed" to be shot* and allows them to use the more theatrical shortcuts.

The other is that it's possible to produce striking and memorable imagery in a fashion that will often minimize the workload on their animators, or at least conserve their available man-hours for the crazy stuff. Take the scroll paintings from the most recent -Monogatari series; they're visually gorgeous and it's easy to remember how impressive they are, but when you get down to it they probably didn't take much more time than something like 6 or seven ordinary backgrounds you'd use in a couple of minutes of ordinary footage, then they can draw the use of those paintings out for minutes at a time, not have to bother with coming up with keyframes or farming out the in-betweening for that entire time, and if the audience is anything like me they'll eat it up regardless.

Similarly, they're free to cut out all the extraneous stuff that gets tossed in to make things look more "real," like having a whole host of animated (or even drawn stills of) background characters that the audience fundamentally doesn't care about but everyone adds in anyway; instead they replace them with crude stills (PPD), pink/blue icons (HS), or barely-glimpsed foreground stills/general emptiness (BMGT). This both keeps the audience focused on where the story is going (no, the classmate bullying Nadeko isn't going to become a recurring character, they exist only as a force set against the protagonist) and saves lodsamone.

*Not to say that they ignore how they're shooting; they're one of the best in the business at framing single images. They just aren't hung up on those images being part of a sequence that moves in time with normal human perception.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I was expecting this to be the new seto no hanayome. It certainly isn't. It looks really nice due to shaft, though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goddamn, the faces this episode. Anyone who's watching the show and has read the manga, are the faces anywhere near as ridiculous as in the show?

Also, is the new girl this Marika everyone was talking about?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Goddamn, the faces this episode. Anyone who's watching the show and has read the manga, are the faces anywhere near as ridiculous as in the show?

Also, is the new girl this Marika everyone was talking about?

Yes and yes. Pretty much all the best faces are verbatim from the manga. See here for example.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Next week, gentlemen. Next week is the time for my fellow Marikabros to rejoice!
At first I wasn't sure about Kana Asumi as her VA, but it's pretty fitting considering a lot of her previous major roles are girls who are far from why about their affections (like Nyaruko, Chihiro, Mio, etc.) and she's done some good work in the past in her less genki roles.

I'll have to hold my final judgement for ep14 but even in the worst case scenario, I doubt I'll be as disappointed as I was with Yaya's VA from Machine Doll.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Kana Asumi and Kana Hanazawa are miracles of the universe. As usual, SHAFT delivers.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The raw for ch.118 is out, and it looks like poo poo's getting real.

Whoever the new girl is, Marika knows her. From my understanding, new girl appears to be a relative of Raku's (most likely his cousin, Japanese love using cousins as love interests). Looks like we're in for some actual plot development this arc!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The author is pretty much a master of teasing plot development ("I love you." *chapter break* "ZZZZZ OH WHAT I WAS ASLEEP") so I kind of doubt it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

The author is pretty much a master of teasing plot development ("I love you." *chapter break* "ZZZZZ OH WHAT I WAS ASLEEP") so I kind of doubt it.

True, but this chapter is definitely going to stir up the status quo. It'd be kinda interesting if Shuu started to fall for the new girl just as Ruri starts warking up to him. The series needs to do a bit more with those two. Those few chapters from last month didn't give either of them all that much character development.

Why is the anime so drat amusing? I hope the sales are good enough for a S2, considering Log Horizon's already got one planned for late this year and it stagnated hard after the first 8ish episodes.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

HiveCommander posted:

Why is the anime so drat amusing?

SHAFT and the best faces as source material?

(I don't care that it was probably a rhetorical question)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HiveCommander posted:

The raw for ch.118 is out, and it looks like poo poo's getting real.

Whoever the new girl is, Marika knows her. From my understanding, new girl appears to be a relative of Raku's (most likely his cousin, Japanese love using cousins as love interests). Looks like we're in for some actual plot development this arc!

Translation's out.

I was wondering who was going to replace their old homeroom teacher. Two birds with one stone, I guess?

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Marika's loving face

I just

This is why I read Nisekoi

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Gravefront posted:

Marika's loving face

I just

This is why I read Nisekoi

my sides

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I mean plotwise its interesting because it means Marika knows her somehow but goddamn her face. Everything about that face is amazing

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I forgot their awesome homeroom teacher left :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was tempted to mention that face when I read the raw, but I didn't want to spoil the glory for anyone else. :allears:

Man Raku had a lot of childhood girlfriends.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I was a fan of this one, personally:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This episode stepped it up so much that I almost feel like I'm watching a different show entirely.

I think I know why you guys like Marika now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's the iron law of romantic comedies: the funniest one is the best.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BlitzBlast posted:

It's the iron law of romantic comedies: the funniest one is the best.
Which is why Tsugumi and Ruri are vying for the top spot. :colbert:

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Guys, please. Everyone knows that the best girl is Chitoge, why you gotta pretend it isn't?

:smugdog:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

This episode stepped it up so much that I almost feel like I'm watching a different show entirely.

I think I know why you guys like Marika now.

If Marika's improving your opinion of the show, then you should really check out the manga. The anime has just covered chapter 33 so you could probably start reading from then on as you won't have missed much (I don't recall any major plot points/funny chapters that the anime has skipped yet), and there's some pretty great Marika chapters later on.

Oh, and welcome to the Marika camp, where the food is well-presented AND tastes good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly, I don't like Marika as much as you guys are assuming, but what I really like about her character is how she changes the dynamic of the whole cast. Her appearance made everything feel fresh and new despite having mostly the same elements. The one thing I do love about her personally is she knows exactly how to rile up a shitstorm, and it owns.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Ch-119--Teacher?id=193198

Uhhhhh, I might have a new favorite.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Yeah, she's... She's pretty incredible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What the hell was wrong with Raku as a child?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think the better question is where did he even get all these keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone who could frighten Marika has got to be quite a character.

• Locked thread