Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JosephWongKS posted:

Anyone who could frighten Marika has got to be quite a character.
It's probably because she knows Marika's real accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Jesus Christ this latest episode, every girl gets better and better. I really should just read the manga cause of those faces.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm just glad everyone knows the situation now. It would have really annoyed me if he never bothered to tell them.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tyberius posted:

Jesus Christ this latest episode, every girl gets better and better. I really should just read the manga cause of those faces.

The manga really took off after Marika was introduced. Somehow her existence elevates the quality of the whole, even in the chapters where she doesn't actually appear. Even the filler chapters post-Marika are funner than those pre-Marika.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
New OP's alright, but :wtc: at the spiderweb imagery at the end. Are you trying to imply something, Shaft?

EDIT: Gonna take a wild guess here and say that Tsugumi's the staff favorite.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 19, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Marika's dad was perfect. Gendo's VA, The Pose, and the NERV references in the elevator.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

JosephWongKS posted:

The manga really took off after Marika was introduced. Somehow her existence elevates the quality of the whole, even in the chapters where she doesn't actually appear. Even the filler chapters post-Marika are funner than those pre-Marika.

Would I be missing out on much if I started off in the manga where she appears if I've only been following the anime? If not, which chapter is it cause I need more Marika.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Marika first shows up in chapter 33. And no, you haven't missed a thing, Nisekoi has great faces and some amazing characters but it's still a generic romcom.

Incidentally, to put things in perspective we're 3/5ths of the way done with the anime and only at chapter 37. I'm betting the series will end at chapter 50, the play.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 19, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

I'm just glad everyone knows the situation now. It would have really annoyed me if he never bothered to tell them.

That was the most unbelievable thing I've seen in a long time. An anime romcom, and they somehow gather together all the involved parties and discuss the situation in an almost calm manner.

E: Oh yeah, the opening shot. Shaft urban architecture. Why would anyone build something like this?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

nielsm posted:

That was the most unbelievable thing I've seen in a long time. An anime romcom, and they somehow gather together all the involved parties and discuss the situation in an almost calm manner.

E: Oh yeah, the opening shot. Shaft urban architecture. Why would anyone build something like this?

Actually, having seen some urban art that one is totally believable. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

nielsm posted:

The kicker is that this actually exists

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

But why

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

It's probably because she knows Marika's real accent.

I think she's more worried that Raku's come into contact with the only other girl that doesn't have the memory-span of a goldfish :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HiveCommander posted:

I think she's more worried that Raku's come into contact with the only other girl that doesn't have the memory-span of a goldfish :v:
Comedy ending: Tsugumi is actually the promise girl, but she forgot about it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Comedy ending: Tsugumi is actually the promise girl, but she forgot about it.

Extra comedy option: The reason Raku doesn't remember anything about the childhood promise is that it wasn't him, it was his lost twin brother separated at birth who died in a car accident shortly after getting the locket.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Extra comedy option: The reason Raku doesn't remember anything about the childhood promise is that it wasn't him, it was his lost twin brother separated at birth who died in a car accident shortly after getting the locket.

So you read To The Moon as well huh?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

One of the theories is that Shuu naturally has black hair, and as a kid he handed out keys and promises to a whole bunch of girls so that he could troll the poo poo out of Raku in highschool.
Given how crafty he is, I would not be surprised but this is a generic harem.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
so in like 5 years how many key girls do you think we will have?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly, going by the fairy tale we're supposed to max out at 4.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know, despite the fact that this comic feels generic as gently caress, I am really, really, really, REALLY hoping that the author throws a curveball to us and that Raku won't end up with Chitoge, as obvious as it looks.

Also, calling it now: If there's a proper second season, the new girl is gonna be voiced by either Yui Horie or Yukari Tamura (hopefully without needing to resort to that shrill banshee impersonation she does when trying to sound youthful).

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Oh wow, those Evangelion references.

never stop being SHAFT

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Ch-120--Need-to-Know?id=194121

Haha, got some good faces in today's chapter.

survivalstrategy
Oct 19, 2012

Let's see how many people you can kill with the power of love.

Wark Say posted:

You know, despite the fact that this comic feels generic as gently caress, I am really, really, really, REALLY hoping that the author throws a curveball to us and that Raku won't end up with Chitoge, as obvious as it looks.

The best troll ending would be if Raku just said "you know what, building my entire life up to this point upon a vague promise that keeps getting more and more confusing and definitely has the potential to hurt everyone around me that I actually care about is really not cool. After I graduate and stop seeing the same people at school, I think I'll try growing a backbone and start healthy relationships without relying on bullshit past baggage."

Or I dunno, maybe Shuu can be his destined girl. Maybe Shuu's penis is the fifth key.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Wark Say posted:

I would be honestly, completely, absolutely shocked if this ever had an ending where he winds up with anyone. Most of these things just wind up with a complete non-ending where the status quo is not only maintained, but reinforced.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Wark Say posted:

Also, calling it now: If there's a proper second season, the new girl is gonna be voiced by either Yui Horie or Yukari Tamura (hopefully without needing to resort to that shrill banshee impersonation she does when trying to sound youthful).

I think a Haru ending is the only non-Chitoge ending possible, because a Haru ending is the "to hell with genre conventions" ending. She's a tertiary character, she was one of the last ones introduced, she's the only character not tied to the past plot, she's tied really strongly to her sister... But she's also the character where the story's spent the most time pointing out their compatibility, and her lack of a personal tie to the whole key thing makes her choosing her a declaration of "let's move past the promise, whatever it was."

Her having that chance is totally reliant on the story pulling a thematic curve ball after over a hundred chapters of playing every single convention straight, though. So unless this is all some building masterstroke, it's not bloody likely.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh look, more plot advancement is being teased. I wonder how that'll go. :geno:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh look, more plot advancement is being teased. I wonder how that'll go. :geno:

Pretty obvious really Yui is the promised girl, is what I can gather. It does explain why Marika was so mortified when she made an appearance, because Marika remembers that Yui is the promised girl, too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The feel that I get from it, this series is earnestly trying to follow in the footsteps of Love Hina as hard as it possibly can, with the plus of having much better drawings, an awesome rear end in a top hat friend in Shuu, and a slightly better harem.

... okay, not that much in that last one. The characters do tend to overlap (Naru = Chitoge, Motoko = Tsugumi, Marika = Mitsune, Kosaki = Shinobu, Yui = Mutsumi from what it looks like?), but it does feel rather by numbers. Chitoge is not awful, just really bland; I guess that as far as love interests, she sort of makes sense if they decide to play it to the hilt. Of course, if it takes after To Love-Ru and it has a non-ending, this story can go gently caress itself for all I care.

Einander posted:

I think a Haru ending is the only non-Chitoge ending possible, because a Haru ending is the "to hell with genre conventions" ending. She's a tertiary character, she was one of the last ones introduced, she's the only character not tied to the past plot, she's tied really strongly to her sister... But she's also the character where the story's spent the most time pointing out their compatibility, and her lack of a personal tie to the whole key thing makes her choosing her a declaration of "let's move past the promise, whatever it was."

Her having that chance is totally reliant on the story pulling a thematic curve ball after over a hundred chapters of playing every single convention straight, though. So unless this is all some building masterstroke, it's not bloody likely.

That sounds awkward as hell. I'm kinda hoping that something like this happens now. Of course, the author can go back to his goddamn senses and have Raku pick Marika, because she's clearly the best choice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Marika is in that awkward position of being the obvious comedy role but still being the best character.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Of course, the author can go back to his goddamn senses and have Raku pick Marika, because she's clearly the best choice.

I like you already. I'm very partial to the mischievous types myself, it's a trope that doesn't turn up that much (compared to tsun/kuudere, typical Japanese 'I want to be a wife when I grow up' etc.).

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

HiveCommander posted:

Pretty obvious really Yui is the promised girl, is what I can gather. It does explain why Marika was so mortified when she made an appearance, because Marika remembers that Yui is the promised girl, too.

Well, I have my doubts about this, because I feel like Marika's reaction was explained in this chapter (Yui constantly embarrassing her) but if it were to be the case...

I wouldn't call it the worst plot development, because this whole promised girl thing is ridiculous anyway so it's not like we're hitting a new low, but if Raku still picked Yui as promised girl over Chitoge, who has had the most straight up -romantic- development, or Onodera, who is the most normal of the key girls, and yes, or Marika, who apparently has been in love for like a decade and is considerably more interesting than her cliche role would normally imply, it'd be extremely unbelievable.

...although, having Einander bring it up, the thought of Haru ending is actually kind of amusing. Breaking away from all this baggage to go make desserts together.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

booksnake posted:

Well, I have my doubts about this, because I feel like Marika's reaction was explained in this chapter (Yui constantly embarrassing her) but if it were to be the case...

I wouldn't call it the worst plot development, because this whole promised girl thing is ridiculous anyway so it's not like we're hitting a new low, but if Raku still picked Yui as promised girl over Chitoge, who has had the most straight up -romantic- development, or Onodera, who is the most normal of the key girls, and yes, or Marika, who apparently has been in love for like a decade and is considerably more interesting than her cliche role would normally imply, it'd be extremely unbelievable.

...although, having Einander bring it up, the thought of Haru ending is actually kind of amusing. Breaking away from all this baggage to go make desserts together.

You mean going to make desserts that don't taste like rear end. Minidera is a lot more interesting than her sister, but I'd be satisfied with anything other than an Onodera/Chitoge/status quo ending. I did see Marika's reaction as being a lot more extreme than "Oh poo poo, I really don't like dealing with this person", but we'll have to see how this arc pans out. Curse you, Nomi Kaoshi!

Just remember, even TWGOK (of all series) ended with Keima picking a girl. There's hope for the harem genre yet!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TWGOK was actually pretty unique. Nisekoi is... not.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Good point, but nobody was honestly expecting Keima to give a drat about a girl outside of a game. Still should've chosen Haqua or Ayumi though :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's kinda sad that for all of its faults, Love Hina still ended with the main character picking someone. Many harem series have been created in its wake, and very few of them have made the same decision. I do not think Nisekoi is going to change this trend. Then again, that kinda makes sense. With Love Hina you had two college-age people getting married at the end. It makes realistic sense for high schoolers being unable to make that big of a decision. Yet on the other hand, if I was reading Nisekoi for realism...:downs:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

BlitzBlast posted:

TWGOK was actually pretty unique. Nisekoi is... not.

It ended?! Time to catch up...

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Skychrono posted:

It ended?! Time to catch up...

TWGOK kind of falters post-goddesses and then just... wraps everything up pretty quickly

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I think authors are pretty afraid of having the protag choose someone. I remember there being a giant poo poo storm over Ichigo 100% back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel that authors should only care about the things they want to write about and (let's be honest here, this is WSJ we're talking about) whether the editors would veto the idea or not.

Fake edit : Wait, nevermind. SHUEISHA has the reader poll thing, right?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 26, 2014

• Locked thread