Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

The shaft head tilt is great.

I was more amused by Raku's utter confusion at SHAFT Architecture™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Goddamn, the faces this episode. Anyone who's watching the show and has read the manga, are the faces anywhere near as ridiculous as in the show?

Also, is the new girl this Marika everyone was talking about?

Yes and yes. Pretty much all the best faces are verbatim from the manga. See here for example.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

nielsm posted:

That was the most unbelievable thing I've seen in a long time. An anime romcom, and they somehow gather together all the involved parties and discuss the situation in an almost calm manner.

E: Oh yeah, the opening shot. Shaft urban architecture. Why would anyone build something like this?

The kicker is that this actually exists

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Comedy ending: Tsugumi is actually the promise girl, but she forgot about it.

Extra comedy option: The reason Raku doesn't remember anything about the childhood promise is that it wasn't him, it was his lost twin brother separated at birth who died in a car accident shortly after getting the locket.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Onodera Kosaki is the worst and an entire episode devoted to her is therefore the worst.

At least we got this face out of it

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The moment it all clicked for me is when I realized that this is essentially a gag manga supported by romance shenanigans and not the other way around. Maybe it's self-delusion in effect but when I approach it that way it's a lot more enjoyable.

Also last episode was great, Shaft did their usual Shafty embellishment of the play and it was fun.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Evil Thing posted:

It wasn't explicitly stated, I'm just being a bit sarcastic about their treatment of Tsugumi.

It's not like people haven't been all over Tsugumi even when she dresses like a guy, she's just incredibly dense about it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chapter 126 is out.

Well things happened in a hurry, that's for sure. So Yui is skipping the romcom song and dance and going straight for the kill. Normally this would be a signal of real poo poo going down but this is Nisekoi so there is an equal chance that this arc ends in a whole lot of nothing followed by 10 more chapters of status quo filler.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Shuu is the greatest troll there ever was.

Also of course, the King's Game, I knew I was forgetting a romcom harem cliche somewhere...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Evil Thing posted:

Which chapter is this page is from? Mamadera is a fantastic character, but I don't remember which arc this is.

Raku helps out his Yakuza friend's cake shop and it ends up outperforming Mamadera's shop by accident.

It starts on Ch 101.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 25, 2014

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Haru is so much more interesting than her sister it's amazing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

For as cliche-ridden as this manga was I wasn't expecting this at all. How could I expect Komi to go this deep into the well for overused cliches?

Soylentbits posted:

She'll probably be engaged to someone who looks like Raku.

And he'll be just like Shuu, to complete the parallels.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The princess was a dumb, superfluous character and I'm glad she's gone.

Also

Paracelsus posted:

Who cares, we got Tsugumi faces.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Get ready for some more Shafttilts.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-01/nisekoi-manga-gets-2nd-tv-anime-season/.79421

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wark Say posted:

So (and just to be that guy, I suppose), how well did the first season do? Did it help boost the manga or was it a success on its own in the BD / DVD camp? After Medaka Box and it's apparent crushing failure, I don't know what's up anymore with WSJ.

The anime discs sold modestly (roughly ~6Kish average), but manga sales shot up like a rocket. From 1.5 million total volumes in 2013 to almost 2.5 million in the first half of 2014. The anime absolutely did its job and then some.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kosaki's mom is the best.

Kosaki remains terrible.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Grouchio posted:

The most recent chapter was actually really good.

That's what happens when you prominently make it about good characters (Chitoge and Tsugumi) instead of bad ones (Yui)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I was with this chapter right up until the last few pages.

More panels of Raku and Onodera being insufferably awkward towards each other, how fun!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

At least this series has a concrete time frame (3 years of high school) and we're more than halfway through that so we might finish up before we reach 400 chapters!

In other news, Season 2 of the anime gets a date and Haru gets a VA

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

So what romance cliches haven't been used yet?

Raku still hasn't been magically transformed into a girl, but I dunno if the setting's wacky enough for that.

We're missing the requisite body swap arc that turns out to be just a dream, except maybe it wasn't.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wait hold on, is this... actual... plot?

Like events are actually moving forward that may cause actual changes to the work's dynamic?

In any other manga this would be a cause for celebration but right now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop like it always does.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's a testament to how adept Komi has been at adhering to his cliches and setups against all odds that we're going to remain utterly unconvinced that anything substantial will change even as we're supposedly seeing real development happening before our eyes.

I'm expecting Raku to evade the question and/or get interrupted, Shuu to either play it off as nothing or pretend he was joking, Chitoge gets to stay via plot-induced whatever cause her dad knows what's going on, and then back to Square One. Well, maybe Raku will finally graduate to True Love Triangle Protagonist by realizing he likes Chitoge instead of just pining for Kosaki all the time like an idiot, but that's it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

krnhotwings posted:

I'm wondering if there'll be some sort of arrangement to have Chitoge live with Raku and his yakuza family since Claude is complaining about her safety and thus barring her from living on her own. Raku's family could potentially fill in for that role, I suppose.

Hmm, well Yui is already there, and if Chitoge is there and security needs to be tight then Tsugumi needs to be around 24/7 which means she needs to live with Raku and Paula will need to tag along and then Kosaki's mom will convince her that she needs to stay with them as well and of course Marika won't take all of this lying down and then oh god it really will become Love Hina :stare:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Marika will get her time of day, don't worry. Might even win Raku's affection somehow.

And then succumb to Anime Cancer

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kosaki just did the equivalent of scoring in your own net in Soccer and it's absolutely hilarious. Poor Ruri, I don't know how she deals with that crap.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

They're halfway (maybe a little more?) into their second year, so there's still a while to go.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Komi you brilliant troll

We're going to be reading this manga forever

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mikl posted:

How many variations on the "someone accidentally interrupts a confession" trope have we had by now?

Clearly not enough.

Though to be fair I was totally expecting Raku to fall asleep there, you know, to mirror the last time that happened. Cause Komi clearly hates his audience enough.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I am enjoying the illusion of progress and eagerly await the method by which Komi bluntly enforces the status quo for another 50 chapters.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So this means Marika finally succumbs to anime cancer, right?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Skychrono posted:

Sometimes I hope we get Clue or Married Life With Archie-style endings before the real one.

We kind of already did with all the omake chapters featuring Raku and [insert girl here] being happily married in a dream sequence.

Not coincidentally, the only main girl we didn't get one of these for was Chitoge.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mikl posted:

Give me Minidera or give me death.

Mamadera and Minidera are both far superior to Boreodera any day.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kosaki was terrible even as a child, what a surprise.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So it seems like there's a new editor for Nisekoi, which apparently means it isn't ending any time soon.

I'm actually laughing right now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kosaki is awful and seeing her suffer makes me happy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I want to buy Komi a drink because that's such a perfect and fitting end to her character.

The schadenfreude is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

No, we're laughing because that's hilarious holy poo poo.

• Locked thread