Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Captain Invictus posted:

I was suggested this series with claims that despite being harem it is good, and would like to be sold on it. What makes it different from other harem drek, I read the first two chapters and found it incredibly generic and not really funny. I really enjoyed TWGOK overall and alongside to the first couple chapters of that, this isn't really comparing favorably.

It's just like every harem, but with even less plot advancement. Main character is a Gary Stu and his harem is comprised of women we're repeatedly informed are basically 9s and 10s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I guess that I shouldn't be surprised that Onodera's dream is being subservient to Raku forever. Christ.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Evil Thing posted:

Chapter 124

In this chapter we discover that attractive girls are only attractive when they dress up like girls.

Except its been shown from the very get-go that everyone is attracted to Tsugumi all of the time regardless of what she is wearing, even when she's playing gender-bender.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Chapter 126 is out.

Well things happened in a hurry, that's for sure. So Yui is skipping the romcom song and dance and going straight for the kill. Normally this would be a signal of real poo poo going down but this is Nisekoi so there is an equal chance that this arc ends in a whole lot of nothing followed by 10 more chapters of status quo filler.

It means nothing whatsoever. She's going to get treated the same as Marika is.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 13, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This series rapidly has become "Reaction Faces: the manga."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'd give the reaction faces a good grade in this chapter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Nisekoi is pretty much the author checking through a list of harem comedy cliches with a side of funny faces. It's not pretending to be anything else either so hey, I'll take it.

"Toriyama wanted to end DBZ at X point" is quite possibly the most hilarious lie the DBZ fanbase won't let die.

Don't read Nisekoi expecting things to happen other than comedy and occasional self-referential stuff about how absurd his harem is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikl posted:

Actual plot progress? :ohdear:

Are you insane? No, she'll just stay there for some contrived reason. Its 150 chapters in; you should know better.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You guys are gonna laugh when you realize this is the ending. He'll let her in and the ending is just ambiguous.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

All this actual plot advancement is going to make the inevitable return to filler even more hilarious.

Also Claude shouldn't be nearly as amusing as he is.

Claude as the 30 year old guy who is super hot for the 15 year old girl always creeped me out a little.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/nisekoi/en/0/177/page/1

I don't even know what the gently caress to say about the fact that Yui is the first person to do loving anything in this entire series.

It's also funny that they have to add the second part to every confession in manga now because MISUNDERSTANDINGS LOL is so loving common you just expect it unless the character making the confession is excessively explicit about the meaning.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

http://manga.redhawkscans.com/reader/read/nisekoi/en/0/181/

There's pretty much no way Raku can get out of this now without rejecting Marika. Tsugumi must be up next, right? The fact we're headed towards an arc where they track Marika down just so he can properly reject her is just, I don't know.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 7, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Honestly I kinda hated Marika to begin with so good riddance.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This is a getting to be Love Hina levels of denial.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

....the actual ending is "I love Onodera and I love Chitoge, oh well I'm sure one day it will work itself out"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This is nothing. The characters would have to actually say something which they've proven they can't do for 199 chapters.

There's a reason lovely VNs have sex as straight up plot devices: because there's nothing that will spur animanga characters to make a move on another character outside of legitimate plot consequences if they don't.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mirage posted:

I guess I just hope for a satisfying ending for Onodera. She really doesn't deserve to be shat upon, since her only sin is being shy and indecisive.

Also if Raku starts dating Chitoge without resolving the Onodera plot, Ruri will probably kill the entire cast with a tire iron.

It's entirely Onodera's fault for doing and saying nothing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Well, despite starting with a similar premise, part of the charm is that, despite the haremettes being the ostentible draw, Keitaro actually grew as a person and went from "non-descript, non-threatening nice guy with nothing going for him except his gag inhability to get injured" to "dorky young adult who is slowly coming to understand that dreams aren't just gonna be handed to you and is working for it". While Raku seems to be getting blander by the chapter.

Gag? I'm pretty sure Keitaro is a member of UQ Holder. :colbert:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tough choice Raku: do you take the super hot rich girl you already have a functional romantic relationship with, or the super hot girl who works at the bakery who you can barely hold a conversation with?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's pretty telling that the most sensible pairing in this story involves characters whose relationship involves maybe ~10 chapters worth of non-gag storylines out of something like 208 chapters.

208: http://imgur.com/a/2JR7A

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

This arc is probably the only hope for any kind of resolution whatsoever since I'm pretty convinced that the author is pretty content to string along the main Betty or Veronica plot through to the end without any kind of real resolution, just like the real Betty or Veronica plot.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I wasn't paying attention: was minidera written out or can she still make a surprise entrance?

Not that I'll read much after Ruri/Shuu.
Nope, she just got a horrible haircut and internally resolved to stop pursuing Raku, same as Tsugumi (neither Haru or Tsugumi actually told Raku they liked him, they just internally gave them up to Betty and Veronica respectively. The only one that was actually put on a bus out of the plot was Marika, and I expect that even she will show up again in the send-off in the final arc.

Actually, isn't Yui still kind of there? I don't remember poo poo about the worst character. I vaguely recall she was supposed to become the don and then didn't. Or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Official chapter is out (there's a horrific translation for pirates somewhere).

I don't think Ruri should feel bad for telling Shuu he's a dipshit because being a nice guy under a stupid facade doesn't excuse your stupid facade.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Back to the obnoxious side characters' subplot in the latest chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Chapter-210?id=267892

The comedy that they're like "tonight is the night" but its painfully obvious nothing will happen.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, all this "Chitoge has to go back to America" poo poo they just randomly pulled out of their asses this chapter is dumb as gently caress. She's an adult with an extremely rich family (that is both doting and super hands-off at the same time) and the only parental figure that is actually even around is the dad who lives in Japan (not that she seems to give a gently caress about the dad anyways). Adding this in now is pretty dumb.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 21, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SpacePig posted:

She lived in America before, though, right? And now her mother lives there, I think. Plus, being an adult doesn't matter if you don't have money, and all of her money comes from her family, so she'd be pretty easily subject to their whims if she doesn't have an excuse to stay in Japan. I don't think it's that out of nowhere, and I don't think it's that she has to so much as it is that she probably will.

I can't imagine Chitoge doesn't come out on top in all of this at this point, though, so it probably doesn't matter.
The family is basically the most hands-off rich family ever and if she said "I'm staying in Japan" for basically any reason her family would let her do it unless they retconned them severely. That's not even considering the fact that it's not real life, its Nisekoi, so Raku isn't really picking the first girl he goes on a legit date with: he's probably literally picking who he's going to marry and have kids with and he is also wealthy.

I guess I just think its dumb because there's no real way to spin this random development as having any real purpose.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irisize posted:

Uh... they had a whole arc on this, didn't they?

No? If they did I don't think it's been mentioned in the last ~40 chapters.

E: they said the move was cancelled and they never really implied it was still happening even after she graduates. I mean, its a MacGuffin plot element anyways since Chitoge is obviously going to get her man.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 22, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

New chapter:

Raku is literally unconscious as a result of serious head trauma to the point he won't wake up and the girls are like "is this my chance to confess?" This isn't even the first time Raku's received serious head trauma and demonstrated significant cognitive issues due to it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 28, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

No, that's Onodera losing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The scuttlebutt is that this is ending in 3 chapters.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Why is Chitoge's dad still a criminal if his wife owns a billion dollar business?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Allarion posted:

Too bad, she's still faceless

Which makes sense given all of the characters have the same fucken face.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Well, here's your potato quality answer to the promise girl's identity: http://mangafast.online/manga/nisekoi/221/1

It's Onodera. The funny part is that it almost assuredly means he's gonna pick Chitoge.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ethiser posted:

I'll accept all the chosen girl handwringing if he ends up not picking her in the end.

Kosaki had every chance in the goddamn world and everything rolled her way constantly and she still hosed it up repeatedly. She's eating this L on a platter and she has it coming. She can't even hold a goddamn conversation with the guy.

She legit probably needs to see a therapist for her inability to follow-through.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikl posted:

I still don't get what the overall purpose of Yui was, story-wise.

Oh no, here is yet another girl who has the hots for Raku! Whatever shall Our Hero do? ...Oh, nevermind, it's resolved and she's pushed out of the running in the space of three chapters from her introduction.

You could argue she works towards providing exposition re: the book and the locket, but then again you could have any other character serve that purpose.

I think the idea was that she had some kind of secret knowledge about the Promise Girl MacGuffin Plot. She ended up not knowing poo poo and Chitoge resolved the entire Promise Girl plot on her own.

But its the same kind of thing if Raku chose Onodera: the plot would literally be meaningless. She hasn't developed as a character at all, and if he picked her, he would have undid any character development he got and none of the series' events would be relevant to anything other than the MacGuffin plot pointing to a girl he already liked.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Skychrono posted:

People seem to hate her here for some reason, but she's had development. Not a ton, but a reasonable amount for anime standards. She became less shy in this year, and without knowing she had competition she didn't really have any reason to try to hurry.

Thematically its probably the main girl but it's not like there haven't been a ton of scenes about the relationship between the other two.

Onodera tells Raku to his face he's a chick magnet very early into the manga. She knew she had competition, its just that anyone other than the main cast is completely out of focus.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chapter in English (like actual English that was proofread and everything)

http://imgur.com/a/m5ijb

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

That's because actual drama in this sucks because the characters are stupid as poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

S.S. Onodera Found on the Bottom of the Ocean; Authorities Blame Captain Kosaki's Terrible Indecision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It's funny how in shounen romantic comedies it's not enough for the protagonist to just end up with the girl he likes; all the other girls who like him must also be satisfied with his decision and continue to pine after him in silence for all eternity.

I bet you the epilogue of this series shows them meet up after college and Chitoge's got a ring on it, but all of the other girls are single, blush when Raku talks to them, and are internally sad.

In a sane universe this is the last chapter.

http://mangafast.online/manga/nisekoi/227

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 21, 2016

• Locked thread