Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Allarion posted:

The locket storyline is nothing original either, since Love Hina worked with a similar premise

Well, to be fair, with Love Hina you could(sort-of) see an endgame coming. Also, while Urashima basically starts off a spineless pussy that tries to get over his lack of pretty much any likable traits, Ichijou does seem to have some backbone; he's just kind of wishy-washy abou--

Okay, they're basically the same story. The only reason I think Love Hina is slightly better is due to a combination of nostalgia (I was in High School / my first year of College when I read through the American translation of the manga) and also because the bass player of my band bought the English-translated volumes (along with old-school novels) for me as an encouragement of sorts to stay in the straight and narrow. I miss that dude a ton.

Going back to Nisekoi, I think it's a mostly inoffensive manga/anime and the only thing that seems the least bit gutsy is that Shueisha decided to go with Shaft as animation studio. I'm only in episode 2, but the fanservice seems to remain at a minimum. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know, despite the fact that this comic feels generic as gently caress, I am really, really, really, REALLY hoping that the author throws a curveball to us and that Raku won't end up with Chitoge, as obvious as it looks.

Also, calling it now: If there's a proper second season, the new girl is gonna be voiced by either Yui Horie or Yukari Tamura (hopefully without needing to resort to that shrill banshee impersonation she does when trying to sound youthful).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The feel that I get from it, this series is earnestly trying to follow in the footsteps of Love Hina as hard as it possibly can, with the plus of having much better drawings, an awesome rear end in a top hat friend in Shuu, and a slightly better harem.

... okay, not that much in that last one. The characters do tend to overlap (Naru = Chitoge, Motoko = Tsugumi, Marika = Mitsune, Kosaki = Shinobu, Yui = Mutsumi from what it looks like?), but it does feel rather by numbers. Chitoge is not awful, just really bland; I guess that as far as love interests, she sort of makes sense if they decide to play it to the hilt. Of course, if it takes after To Love-Ru and it has a non-ending, this story can go gently caress itself for all I care.

Einander posted:

I think a Haru ending is the only non-Chitoge ending possible, because a Haru ending is the "to hell with genre conventions" ending. She's a tertiary character, she was one of the last ones introduced, she's the only character not tied to the past plot, she's tied really strongly to her sister... But she's also the character where the story's spent the most time pointing out their compatibility, and her lack of a personal tie to the whole key thing makes her choosing her a declaration of "let's move past the promise, whatever it was."

Her having that chance is totally reliant on the story pulling a thematic curve ball after over a hundred chapters of playing every single convention straight, though. So unless this is all some building masterstroke, it's not bloody likely.

That sounds awkward as hell. I'm kinda hoping that something like this happens now. Of course, the author can go back to his goddamn senses and have Raku pick Marika, because she's clearly the best choice.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel that authors should only care about the things they want to write about and (let's be honest here, this is WSJ we're talking about) whether the editors would veto the idea or not.

Fake edit : Wait, nevermind. SHUEISHA has the reader poll thing, right?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 26, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hanazawa is great for certain types of characters, but I don't think Onodera is one of them. Like, I could see pretty much any other actress with similar range playing Onodera.

poo poo, Hisako Kanemoto did a pretty good job in the vomic shorts. If you want to talk about great jobs so far regarding this series, Mikako Komatsu as Tsugumi or Kana Asumi as Marika are both great AND a goddamn riot. Of course, listening to Hiyama in those precious moments when he appears to remind us who's the King after all these years. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if that bastard editor still pulls any sort of mind-tricks on Komi like he did with Hiramaru Sorachi. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

I was suggested this series with claims that despite being harem it is good, and would like to be sold on it. What makes it different from other harem drek, I read the first two chapters and found it incredibly generic and not really funny. I really enjoyed TWGOK overall and alongside to the first couple chapters of that, this isn't really comparing favorably.

Manga: The reaction faces, some occasionally funny moments, a certain character named Marika. It's still painfully generic in most other aspects.

Anime: A very SHAFT affaire, visually-speaking, which kinda clashes with the overall tone because after a while. The voice actors, however, do a drat good job selling the show.

Neither version gets over the fact that it's basically Love Hina 2.0 and there's only so much mileage you can get out of that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kidcoelacanth posted:

Bring back Double Arts, in my honest opinion.

You know, given the fact that the people at Shueisha are probably still kicking themselves over the goldmine that Attack on Titan turned out to be, I wouldn't put it past them to allow a manga to be uncancelled. Pretty doubtful that they do it with Double Arts, though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Popehoist posted:

What really drives me apeshit about this series is that the harem was already solved in chapter 8.

Listen, while I would normally agree with you, the continuation of this bullshit harem is more than justified because it introduced Marika and, by introducing her, it allowed me to hear Kana Asumi doing Marika justice when it came to her Kansai accent.

Also, her dad. Holy sweet Jesus, her dad. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

So (and just to be that guy, I suppose), how well did the first season do? Did it help boost the manga or was it a success on its own in the BD / DVD camp? After Medaka Box and it's apparent crushing failure, I don't know what's up anymore with WSJ.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

buzmeg posted:

Raku, who never had that much personality, seems to have gone completely bland.

He was a relatively rambunctious punk(calling most of his father's underlings "teme~", for example) for a house husband that wanted to say "gently caress all dat Yakuza poo poo" and he also had MAD ENKA SINGING SKILLS (was that anime-only? Can't remember).

Also, why is he so dead-set on Kosaki? Her only good qualities is that she's vaguely cute and demure. Pretty much any other member of his harem is better/more interesting. poo poo, her mom and little sister are way more interesting and... maybe I should stop. Rom-com/Harem clichés can get obnoxious after a while.

Reminds of the time I was reading an old manga. Can't remember the name, but it was basically about a 20-something salary man who has to deal with the whole office moving into his lovely apartment for a while when suddenly a teenage girl coming in to live with him. I remember how, even while it was little, it portrayed a budding romance in an uncharacteristically un-clichéd way. I kinda liked that manga and I'm kinda mad that I forgot about its name.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spoilers Below posted:

Perfectly valid argument about Harem / Rom-Com Manga series.

I just hope that, when the endgame comes, people understand that Marika > everyone else. (maybe Seishirou on 2ND)

vvvv e: They're gonna end up together. It's a no-brainer. Besides being consistently funny, both had dynamite VA's in the anime. Yuuki Kaji's was basically perfectly cast as Shuu. That laughter. :allears: vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 26, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Edward IV posted:

Yet this girl is incredibly popular, for some incomprehensible reason.

It's also probably helped by the fact that they got a really popular VA (Kana Hanazawa) to voice her.

I remember something similar happening with the Azazel-san adaptation when they found out that one of the demons was loosely based on a fairly controversial, extremely conservative dude in real life, so they had the idea of casting Kazuya Nakai and boom, character got popular. Also, the aforementioned archetype/hack characterization of the good wife / YN.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

Sorry, but this ride is never going to end.

Don't most Harem/RomCom* manga have a relatively short run in comparison to stuff like Action / Adventure?

*Rumiko Takahashi's works don't count! :mad:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking back on it, I should have probably used "expiration date" rather than "run". Oh well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Skychrono posted:

I think he's a bit creepier in the anime, to be fair.

That's Takehito Koyasu for you. I know dude actually has range and everything, but I bet when most anime-watchers hear his voice, they instantly think "Oh, it's Dio/Aokiji/The Glasses Douche from SAO" (Or Rezo / Zechs / Shinya if you want to go old-school, I guess) instead of his goofy roles. Or Shingo.

Goofy, delusional yet still awesome Shingo. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

I like to imagine Komi's still bitter about Double Arts, so when he was asked to draw a harem series he thought "Oh yeah? Watch as I run the whole concept of harem series so deep into the ground no-one will be able to dig it up when I'm done."

That's impossible when that aberration called To Love-Ru still has people buying into the same trite harem bullshit. Not to mention, like, 70% of the light novel premises have an in-built excuse to have harem-friendly developments.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Not sure if many would count it, but I could see Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa/My Monster Secret as a bingeworthy series. Good pacing and actual progression while being a harem series.

e: It's also getting an anime over the summer, however, much like Nisekoi the faces really make this series shine and I would most definitely recommend the manga.

Also, the idiocy is a key part of the plot as opposed to willing suspension of disbelief. The characters are not only “rom-com dense“, they're all a bunch of idiots. Lovable, huggable idiots.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mikl posted:

:hfive:

Minidera best dera.

Bullshit: the Mom is the funkiest of the bunch. :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think killing Marika off would be a bit too dark for this manga's tone.

Making her have emergency surgery and have her mum donating an organ, though... Or chitoge. :v:

What's the darkest a rom-com harem manga has ever gotten? School Days doesn't count because that poo poo was bananas from the start.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

HOLY poo poo

:stare: Okay, you win.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My bet is that, IF Komi decides to kill off Marika (and seeing that Komi has Yoshida as an editor, I wouldn't put it past them to throw us a curveball, cliche as this manga is), Raku is going to distance himself from his harem. Kinda like Harima :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, come on! Was it lovely parents month over at WSJ or what?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This is just a teaser of the rut we're heading towards, right? :ughh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

This is a getting to be Love Hina levels of denial.

Soylentbits posted:

Nope. Keitaro knew early on that he liked Naru, was immortal, and was going to pass that drat test.
In addition:
  • Keitaro actually grew to be a likable character (for all the "bland harem protag to focus on the girls" thing this genre's supposed to be about, Raku is still loving obnoxious)
  • Naru was clearly going to be the winner (Here we're still doing the denial twist) and slightly less annoying than the remaining haremettes. With the exception of Tsugumi, of course.
  • This has been going on longer than Love Hina originally was (1 year? Year-and-a-half?)
  • JUST PICK SOMEONE ALREADY, RAKU (or better yet, reject them all and go to college to become the boring career man you so desperately wanted to be at the beginning).

If you have to make a comparison, use the Wallflower / Perfect Girl Evolution manga, which dragged on and on and on. I think it finally ended this year, whereas the anime finished airing almost 9 years ago.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

Nisekoi 199: http://imgur.com/a/Fq9Td

It's over.

Chitoge won.

No loving way. Stop doing this, Komi! STOP TRYING TO DO THE CLIFFHANGER BULLSHIT WSJ IS WELL KNOWN FOR AT THIS POINT TO KEEP ME INTERESTED.

END THIS ON A HIGH NOTE.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JosephWongKS posted:

Yui got friendzoned and Marika got "mysterious anime girl sickness"-ed. How will Mini-dera be written out of the picture?

"Yuri end!"-ed

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, Haru. Someday you'll find a boy (or girl!) who only has eyes for you. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'm hoping for a yandere Onodera ending where she poisons both beehive and the yakuza with her cooking only to be honored by the police for her actions.

Either that or one last Beehive Experimental Product chapter where the product is truth serum and is somehow injected into Raku.

Onodera is too milquetoast for that. Her mom, though...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shere posted:

It reminds me of the Love Hina manga being exactly the opposite. Escalating in ridiculous ways as it reached its forgone conclusion instead of... driving nails in the coffin? Kind of what this feels like.

Well, despite starting with a similar premise, part of the charm is that, despite the haremettes being the ostentible draw, Keitaro actually grew as a person and went from "non-descript, non-threatening nice guy with nothing going for him except his gag inhability to get injured" to "dorky young adult who is slowly coming to understand that dreams aren't just gonna be handed to you and is working for it". While Raku seems to be getting blander by the chapter.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mirage posted:

Didn't we just discard a character who had exactly this arc?

True, but Tsugumi has bigger baps and is slightly more expressive wrt her doofus behavior.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddammit, not cool, Komi!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

Tough choice Raku: do you take the super hot rich girl you already have a functional romantic relationship with, or the super hot girl who works at the bakery who you can barely hold a conversation with?

Find out after these messages!

In all seriousness, though: Just go with the goofy tsundere that likes you and that you recently started feeling comfortable with, dumbass! How is this eve-- oh, right. Harem Manga/Anime rules. My bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Chapter-207?id=265900

In which the spotlight returns to the tsunderest girl in the story.

gently caress YEAH, RURI/SHU SHENANIGANS

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

It's pretty telling that the most sensible pairing in this story involves characters whose relationship involves maybe ~10 chapters worth of non-gag storylines out of something like 208 chapters.

208: http://imgur.com/a/2JR7A

Because Shuu is a good guy who doesn't string people along... unless it's funnier that way. Also, that laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZ_HsMGBj4

And Ruri, while kinda always keeping to herself, seems to find herself unable to do so with her glasses buddy. Is this what shipping feels like?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Grimace posted:

This arc is probably the only hope for any kind of resolution whatsoever since I'm pretty convinced that the author is pretty content to string along the main Betty or Veronica plot through to the end without any kind of real resolution, just like the real Betty or Veronica plot.

No, gently caress that. Either Blondie Tsundere or The Boring Onodera.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just loving tell Blandy that you have the hots for him! Either of you. Please.

Or Blandy, how hard can it be? You already broke 4 girls' hearts(Yui, Marika, Minidera, Tsugumi). Don't you want Takeo to stop looking at you like a Gigolo? Do it for Takeo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And then it turns out that this whole love flag event is for our favorite glasses buddies. Which would be fine by me. :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

Him liking Onodera at this point feels like a perfect example of the sunk cost fallacy.

It's a ploy. There are 3 Onodera women, but only 1 of them qualifies for best girl, and that's Nanako / Momdera.

• Locked thread