Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Captain Invictus posted:

What makes it different from other harem drek, I read the first two chapters and found it incredibly generic and not really funny.

Nothing is really different or excellent. It's very generic, but capably executed with a minimum of fanservice.

It's nowhere near the same class as TWGOK. I read Nisekoi; I anticipated TWGOK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Sonata Mused posted:

And nothing of importance happened...

Ummmmmm, really? I don't believe we've had this kind of explicit admission before ...

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Irisize posted:

I almost thought that chapter was going to accomplish something at one point. How quickly I forget.

Noob. :D

The central conceit is the polygon. That can't resolve, or there is no story.

Although, I'm getting a bit bored overall. There's no longer a sense of conflict anymore, and Raku, who never had that much personality, seems to have gone completely bland.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Spoilers Below posted:

No arguments here. A pure heart and a direct intention are best!

Though I'll confess I'm also interested in how the Shū/Ruri situation shakes out.

I'm *more* interested in that than any of the main harem links.

I think it's the decline of Raku's personality that's bugging me. Maybe he just needs some actual screen time where he's being awesome *by himself*.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

OneDeadman posted:

Marika is the best

Ruri is still the best character and has far more martial arts potential than any of the other characters. I mean, come on, just look at that eye hand coordination and grip strength.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

HiveCommander posted:

...and then Raku becomes a harem-lord with Yakuza, Triad, Beehive and the police force at his beck and call!

e: while operating a Japanese sweets shop.

I would watch that.

Nisekoi will never become anything that good.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

MrAptronym posted:

171 chapters in three days.

Dear God, man, are you trying to kill yourself?

Any kind of RomCom or Harem like this relies on it being episodic so that you don't get hit with the concentrated turbo-denseness and want to stab the main characters.

Even established stuff that people respect like Oh My Goddess! or Kimi ni Todoke is just *painful* if you blitz it.

I'm trying to think of any "RomCom" thing that could be taken in a concentrated dose. I'm actually drawing a blank.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
You know, just once I'd like one of these harems to actually *completely collapse*, and the MC is left with nobody and a bad reputation as an indecisive player so no other girls will come around.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Twiddy posted:

I don't know if you've heard of this thing called School Days...

Yeah, no.

Not looking for the MC to be a sociopathic prick who deserves a horrible fate.

Just winding up alone and shunned because of his terminal denseness.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

BlitzBlast posted:

Well the point is more "what did Raku even come here to do?". Was he planning on appealing to pathos or something?

Sorta, more probably a "What is actually best for Marika?" argument.

To get hit with what he did would shock anyone.

MonsieurChoc posted:

If Marika had stopped being a crazy stalker of a guy who clearly didn't love her back, she might have been able to find someone she liked instead.

Um, weren't the conditions quite clearly Raku Ichijou or bust? If so, the stalker behavior is downright justifiable. I don't remember choosing another guy being an option on the table.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Chibi-dera is best Dera.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Shinjobi posted:

Tsugumi is the one girl whose fascination with Raku irks me. She could do so much better, jesus

Raku is practically the only character who actually treats her like a girl and, in addition, his actions occur *on camera*.

So, I would argue that Tsumgumi's fascination actually makes more sense than most of the harem.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Chapter-207?id=265900

In which the spotlight returns to the tsunderest girl in the story.

At least there are reasons for that relationship.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
*dera is only best girl if you get all three for the harem end.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Angry Grimace posted:

The scuttlebutt is that this is ending in 3 chapters.

Meh.

Given that the only characters I care about are Ruri and Tsugumi my reaction is unsurprising.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Algid posted:

You guys could try moving on to an actually good shonen romcom that just started a while ago:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hatsukoi-Zombie

Except that it's just kind of "meh" right now. It's moving really slowly--probably too slowly and is likely gonna get canned if it doesn't pick up the pace.

Contrast with "The World God Only Knows". By Chapter 18 we had four arcs: Ayumi, Mio, Kanon, Shiori and starting the Kusonoki arc along with random Elsea stuff thrown in.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Meh. I can't picture them writing an ending to this that won't suck. Glad it's finally getting a bullet.

Note that I didn't say that I can't picture an ending that won't suck. Simply picking someone other Tsunderilla or Boreodera would not suck. They just won't do it.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Sonata Mused posted:

These. Faces. Holy. poo poo.

Also, Ruri still might be my favorite over all.

Ruri and Tsugumi are, by far, the most interesting characters because they initiate things that are completely independent of the main characters.

This manga fails mostly because Raku never does anything useful. The kid is supposed to be the heir to a big yakuza faction. The fact that he *never* does anything truly badass makes it all fall flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Popehoist posted:

Considering Ono-D and Chitoge also both love each other I don't see why they can't just go polygamy end.

Because that would be <pick any that apply>:

A) awesome
B) interesting
C) unique
D) creative
E) cool

so ... NOOOO! YOU WILL GET A TOTALLY GENERIC ENDING AND YOU'LL LIKE IT YOU PUSSY!!!!

Where's my Tsugumi spinoff wherein she fights assassins, ninjas, professional wrestlers, and, occasionally, must foil the best laid plans of Marika?

• Locked thread