Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Zen is second best if you bother to abuse the clock exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess you pick up Zen Garden upgrades instead of new plants, or are you getting new seed packets all through the game?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Glazius posted:

I guess you pick up Zen Garden upgrades instead of new plants, or are you getting new seed packets all through the game?
It's been ages since I played Plants vs Zombies, but the way I remember it is that certain Zen Garden plants are low probability drops off killed zombies, keyed to certain levels. You could only ever get e.g. the Sea-Shroom in level X-X.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Glazius posted:

Zen garden plants are given as prizes during regular play dropped from zombies and I believe they are given after all other prizes have been earned (minigames, etc.). I can't remember exactly since the last time I played was several years ago and I'm not sure if certain plants are locked to certain levels. By the end of the game you should get all the basic seed packets that the game has to offer.

After the Zen Garden is opened, all items that you use are paid for by the money you earn in game: Fertilizer, plant food, the phonograph, and golden watering can must be bought out of Crazy Dave's car.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

Zen garden plants are given as prizes during regular play dropped from zombies and I believe they are given after all other prizes have been earned (minigames, etc.). I can't remember exactly since the last time I played was several years ago and I'm not sure if certain plants are locked to certain levels. By the end of the game you should get all the basic seed packets that the game has to offer.

After the Zen Garden is opened, all items that you use are paid for by the money you earn in game: Fertilizer, plant food, the phonograph, and golden watering can must be bought out of Crazy Dave's car.

You also can buy plants, but you can only buy like one type. To get the rest you have to get them from play.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Gothsheep posted:

You also can buy plants, but you can only buy like one type. To get the rest you have to get them from play.

Indeed, Dave only sells Marigold seeds. They're worth buying while your garden is small, as the seedlings cost you 2500 coins and you can sell the grown plants for 3000. Seedlings you find while playing are much better overall, though many have a downside we'll probably see later in the LP.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Phelddagrif posted:

Indeed, Dave only sells Marigold seeds. They're worth buying while your garden is small, as the seedlings cost you 2500 coins and you can sell the grown plants for 3000. Seedlings you find while playing are much better overall, though many have a downside we'll probably see later in the LP.

If you have the time, there is no downside. When I had a full garden I would set Stinky on chocolate autopilot and go make dinner or take a nap. Woke up or started to eat with more money than I started with.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Phelddagrif posted:

I actually have no idea what the difference is between different plants. Always wondered if they behaved differently or something. My policy has always been to leave 2 empty slots in my garden for new plants to drop (I have no idea what happens if you pick up a plant but your garden is already full) and then if I don't have of the new plant, I sell off one I have a lot of duplicates of.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I don't think there is any difference, it just looks nice.

Eventually, Plants vs Zombies on iOS introduced "mystery seed packets" that could be bought in Crazy Dave's shop. They came in three tiers increasing in cost, but the top tier was 100% guaranteed to contain a random plant you didn't have yet. And that's how I finally got a Scaredy-Shroom and filled out my Zen Garden.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
If you're still taking requests/not done recording, I highly recommend doing a roof level with loads and loads of chompers. It'll work on any roof level right up until the giant zombies show up, and it is ridiculous how effective it is, especially with pumpkin shield/tallnut help and 3 rows of sunflowers to pay for 'em all with.

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Also if someone doesn't still have the plants vs zombies, its now free on origin so absolutely no reason not get it

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Just a Fish posted:

Also if someone doesn't still have the plants vs zombies, its now free on origin so absolutely no reason not get it

I think that's a reason to absolutely not get it. I will gladly pay on another platform rather than support origin.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
If you want another challenge, try doing one of the later roof levels (6-10) without any flower pots. Just 15 spaces to work with!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CrazySalamander posted:

I think that's a reason to absolutely not get it. I will gladly pay on another platform rather than support origin.
It is free and you can uninstall Origin after it downloads.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
You aren't a pureblood MLG gamer if you have touched the vile scum that is Origin.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Good new! This isn't dead, and we just recorded the final two videos. Expect them to be posted in 6-8 weeks.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

4-6 weeks ahead of schedule, here's a late-night update for you! Once again, I'm joined by Agent355 and Putty.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This is the best LP.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Agent355 posted:

A totally unbiased opinion.

I am also enraged that you guys would make jokes about tribalistic tendencies regarding digital distribution systems. Don't you guys know that gaming is
:words:
uphill both ways in the snow.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I tend to ignore the various damage sprites of the Gargantuar with the frantic placements, but I never noticed it had more battle damage than bandages.

I might get back to pinball if that is ever on sale. How does a PvZ table end up on Steam?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I tend to ignore the various damage sprites of the Gargantuar with the frantic placements, but I never noticed it had more battle damage than bandages.

I might get back to pinball if that is ever on sale. How does a PvZ table end up on Steam?

http://www.pinballfx.com/

This game is on steam, the game itself is free but the tables cost a few dollars each. I own all the tables so I'm the crazy guy who spent like 60 bux to play video pinball. One of the tables recently added is a PvZ table and it's every bit as good as you'd imagine it to be.

I was actually considering doing an entire LP of it but the problem is that the tables are all wicked hard and I don't think I could actually beat them, which is what I'd want to do for a real LP.

However a bonus update for this LP is 100% a go, I'll post it after the last episode is posted and I'll try to get Sety to co-commentate it.

It's pretty cool.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 15, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I do want to see that melon-pult in action. It looks like it could be really impressive. Something to look forward to in the fall, I suppose.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

I've been caught up watching SGDQ all week, but the final episode should go up shortly after it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did this die again?

• Locked thread