Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

There's also the SCE books which were originally little serialized ebooks which I found fairly entertaining. You can pick up the omnibus editions on Kindle for fairly cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Has anyone read the DS9 books? It's my favourite Star Trek show by far, but the summaries I've read of the relaunch novels sound loving stupid

They're not terrible but due to some kind of management change at the publisher they kind of shifted their focus. They spent a long time post-TV expanding the world and then in the span of two books kind of reversed all the relationships they had built up. The series also took a bit of a hiatus and then when it came back some things were radically different without much explanation.

Overall, they're above average if you enjoyed the show but individually, they're a bit hit or miss.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

I was looking at the Vanguard books but I'm not really a fan of the TOS-era books. I'll probably wind up reading them when I've got nothing else to read.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

AllanGordon posted:

Can we not do this? Thank you.

Discuss books in the book forum? :confused:

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

AllanGordon posted:

this is loving sad

It's loving terrible that people choose to read what they enjoy.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yyyyeah, AllanGordon, I don't see you butting into the Star Wars EU thread to comment about how sad it is, so kindly gently caress off.

I think he took offense to my lack of interest in the TOS era. It's not an uncommon reaction among Trek fans.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

apophenium posted:

One of the more recent ones had Kirk team up with Seven of Nine in a bizarre twist of time and space and I'm positive Kirk puts the moves on her. It can't be worse than the Shatnerverse books though, can it?

I was thinking of picking that one up, but I assumed that given it was Kirk and Seven, it would be as bad as the Shatnerverse. Then again, nothing could be as bad as those.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

apophenium posted:

A character in Summon the Thunder (Vanguard #2) just rather shamelessly referenced the Great Bird of the Galaxy

The Great Bird of the Galaxy pops up quite a bit in the New Frontier novels by Peter David. While it may be a wink to Roddenberry, it's very much an in-universe thing.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

apophenium posted:

You've read the New Frontier stuff, then? How were they? I have a couple of em I think.

I really like them, but I like Peter David's stuff a lot. How you feel about his writing will greatly affect how you like them.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Are the rest of the books in the series good? Are there any consistently good series?

I thought New Frontier was consistently good. However, they're written by Peter David and from what I understand, there's a bunch of people who don't enjoy his writing.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I think The Captain's Table series is pretty good throughout, if only because I love the concept of a bar that exists outside of time and space.

Agreed, with the caveat that it's not really a series in the traditional sense. The main location stays the same but the cast changes.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

apophenium posted:

Still stumbling through the Vanguard series, Reap the Whirlwind this time. It feels really directionless. A lot of characters and plotlines are being juggled around, leaving the main thrust of the series kind of on hold every so often. Some chapters a lot of cool stuff is revealed, but then there's a few chapters in a row where characters do things that feel incredibly distanced from the Shedai/Tholian sequence. Hoping it'll start to coalesce some and at least have a decent climax. Granted, there are still 4 or so more books (+novellas and poo poo) so I certainly don't expect any meaningful conclusions to be made.

I'm in the same boat as you and feel just about the same. I'm also on Reap the Whirlwind and I've had to put it down several times due to boredom. I find it odd because I've enjoyed every other Trek book that I've read by David Mack.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

apophenium posted:

Wrapped up Reap the Whirlwind last night. It ended up partially redeeming itself in the last 50 pages. Some really cool stuff happened which has me slightly more interested in continuing the series.

It's like we're the same person. Already on book 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

apophenium posted:

This is actually really soothing to hear. I'm about to start Precipice tonight. Did you read the collection of novellas as well? Declassified?

If you skip Declassified, you're going to miss a fairly important plot point in What Judgements Come. The book explains what you missed, but when I first came across it, I initially thought I missed a book. I stopped reading that book and went back and read Declassified and it made more sense.

• Locked thread