Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

New Frontier - A semi-original series about the USS Excalibur. Although I haven't read any of it yet, from most accounts, it's really not bad. There's certainly worse Star Trek stuff out there.

This is the greatest published fanfiction there ever was, and I love Peter David for it. The Captain is the most Mary Sue ever, and that's including Shatner's Kirk novels. He is M'k'n'zy of Calhoun, the purple-eyed Warlord with a dashing facial scar who liberates his home planet before he's 20, makes a sworn enemy of Captain Jellico, bangs all the alien ladies, carries a sword, beats the Kobayashi Maru, adopts orphans, comes back from the dead at least twice I think, and cowboys around the galaxy while the Admirals sit at home shaking their fists at him.

This series also has Greek gods, a race of hermaphrodites, Elves, cat-people, giant planet-eating space birds, and the most in-jokes that could ever possibly be crammed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So it's very TOS then?

There is an incredible amount of references to TOS and TAS. I think one of the security chiefs is a Mugato, M'Ress and Arex from TAS, and the female first officer from The Cage are all fairly main characters.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

D-Pad posted:

One of my favorite TNG books was one of the first ones, Masks by John Vornholt. The crew get stranded on a planet with medieval level technology where your rank and/or job in society is determined by the mask you wear. The higher the rank the fewer masks there are and the supreme mask hasn't been seen in years. You can also kill people and take their mask.

I loved that book, for the ridiculous amount of detail he went into describing the masks and why the culture wears them. God, how many were there? Peddler's Mask, Thunder Mask, Wisdom Mask, Ambassador Mask, Herbalist's Mask, etc. It's crazy how much of that book I can remember years later.

Also it's kinda funny looking back at it now, because it was written so early in the series that not everyone is written in character.

Picard having crazy tent sex with the the warrior Queen of the planet while Worf and Troi just make awkward small-talk around the fire probably wouldn't show up later in the series.

• Locked thread