Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoWake posted:

Started at a company working salary coming up on two years ago. Employment contract has no definite hours listed, just a motto to follow saying "we do whatever it takes". I averaged 48 hours/week in '23, and in two years earned a single sub-$2k bonus. I'm mostly doing back-office work, setting up projects and running budgets, occasionally on-site project management. Ownership has me clocking in on an app that tracks my location. I'm typically working from home.

On the heels of two 70-hour weeks, one on-site and one doing project reviews with ownership, I'm taking some time to stay with family, work remote out of my region and check out the eclipse. I'm up to date on all my tasks and projects. Ownership found out and is livid that I clocked out at 2 yesterday, "had no idea" what I was doing or where I was, even though my manager had approved my schedule in January and put it on the company calander.

Just today am getting in writing what my expected work hours are and how many hours I'm expected to put in per week. "10 hours a day, 50 hours a week", and "ask around for other tasks to do for others" if my workload happens to be less that week.

I've been a team player, I help others out all the time, put out fires, and I stay late when I'm needed to complete project reviews with ownership. (Sometimes they don't get around to working with me til noon or so, which of course pushes my day back when the job has to ship by Close of Business.) Friday, I had to wait and hold an hour while my boss talked to a painter working in his house. A few weeks before that, he tried starting up a 4-hour project review at 4:30pm, earlier he'd been at the airport switching out his long-term car rental. I had to be out the door by 5:45, and basically had to hang up on him. I put in a time-off request for a date 6pm-midnight the following week, and was told to knock that poo poo off.

So, anyway, this expectation that salaried employees work a minimum of 50 hours a week while getting paid a strict 40 strikes me as abusive. Especially when it's back-office work that can be planned around, especially when I'm working late due to ownership's personal errands/vacations, and then yelled at when I try and make my own plans after business hours. What say you, Goons? Is this something I should put up with or fight?

There is no "fighting" this. That's how this company chooses to conduct business so you should find another job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Your choices are not to suck it up or fight. They’re to suck it up or leave. You sound like you have pretty good project management and operational experience from your time with this employer. Great! Polish your resume and go for job interviews.

Chances are you can be working less and paid more.

There’s not really much else you can do about an abusive, exploitative employer. The owners sound like paranoid, small-minded folks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

NoWake posted:

Started at a company working salary coming up on two years ago. Employment contract has no definite hours listed, just a motto to follow saying "we do whatever it takes". I averaged 48 hours/week in '23, and in two years earned a single sub-$2k bonus. I'm mostly doing back-office work, setting up projects and running budgets, occasionally on-site project management. Ownership has me clocking in on an app that tracks my location. I'm typically working from home.

On the heels of two 70-hour weeks, one on-site and one doing project reviews with ownership, I'm taking some time to stay with family, work remote out of my region and check out the eclipse. I'm up to date on all my tasks and projects. Ownership found out and is livid that I clocked out at 2 yesterday, "had no idea" what I was doing or where I was, even though my manager had approved my schedule in January and put it on the company calander.

Just today am getting in writing what my expected work hours are and how many hours I'm expected to put in per week. "10 hours a day, 50 hours a week", and "ask around for other tasks to do for others" if my workload happens to be less that week.

I've been a team player, I help others out all the time, put out fires, and I stay late when I'm needed to complete project reviews with ownership. (Sometimes they don't get around to working with me til noon or so, which of course pushes my day back when the job has to ship by Close of Business.) Friday, I had to wait and hold an hour while my boss talked to a painter working in his house. A few weeks before that, he tried starting up a 4-hour project review at 4:30pm, earlier he'd been at the airport switching out his long-term car rental. I had to be out the door by 5:45, and basically had to hang up on him. I put in a time-off request for a date 6pm-midnight the following week, and was told to knock that poo poo off.

So, anyway, this expectation that salaried employees work a minimum of 50 hours a week while getting paid a strict 40 strikes me as abusive. Especially when it's back-office work that can be planned around, especially when I'm working late due to ownership's personal errands/vacations, and then yelled at when I try and make my own plans after business hours. What say you, Goons? Is this something I should put up with or fight?

Just another vote for get the gently caress out.

If you think there's a chance of getting a referral later, or getting paid while being told not to work, put in two weeks' notice, but if you think the bridge is burned regardless, just call them the day you want to leave and tell them you're not coming in.

What country are you in, and are they not letting you take any time off at all, or is it just this one particular time they're upset about?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://x.com/dasharez0ne/status/1125839557352742913

bfc has a resume thread

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

Just another vote for get the gently caress out.

If you think there's a chance of getting a referral later, or getting paid while being told not to work, put in two weeks' notice, but if you think the bridge is burned regardless, just call them the day you want to leave and tell them you're not coming in.

What country are you in, and are they not letting you take any time off at all, or is it just this one particular time they're upset about?

Oh, and make sure you figure out what their PTO cashout policy is, along with any retirement or bonus vesting, etc.; start optimizing your exit strategy now, even if you don't end up executing it for a few months.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Ham Equity posted:

It's becoming clear, I'm in the US so leaving is likely the only course of action if I don't like it. The pushback I'm seeing is in direct response to me getting a backbone and trying to carve out a life outside of work hours. None of my peers really do, and I'm not trying to fill in their 2x divorced and heart-diseased footsteps. It's a family business and they pay a lot of lip to having a work-life balance, until the rubber hits the road and it's "No! Not like that". I understand when things are an emergency and we need to respond for our clients, but it's back-office stuff that can be taken care of whenever, wherever. Right now it's starting to look like they're building toward constructive dismissal. It's a small industry, but I'm betting I'll find a new spot that will take my skillset.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NoWake posted:

It's a family business and

lol run. Some family businesses are fine, but there is no fixing a family business of petty tyrants.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NoWake posted:

It's becoming clear, I'm in the US so leaving is likely the only course of action if I don't like it. The pushback I'm seeing is in direct response to me getting a backbone and trying to carve out a life outside of work hours. None of my peers really do, and I'm not trying to fill in their 2x divorced and heart-diseased footsteps. It's a family business and they pay a lot of lip to having a work-life balance, until the rubber hits the road and it's "No! Not like that". I understand when things are an emergency and we need to respond for our clients, but it's back-office stuff that can be taken care of whenever, wherever. Right now it's starting to look like they're building toward constructive dismissal. It's a small industry, but I'm betting I'll find a new spot that will take my skillset.

What is their paid time off policy? How many days a year do you get? Under what conditions are you allowed to take it?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Ham Equity posted:

What is their paid time off policy? How many days a year do you get? Under what conditions are you allowed to take it?

"We don't really keep track of how much time off someone takes" but I've stuck to the standard 2 weeks/year. If it's approved and on the calander a month beforehand, its supposed to be OK.

Cue the owner texting me to call him back "for a few questions" during my last vacation, ended up chewing me out for taking off two weeks in a row (Xmas on one side, NYE on the other) "Who in the hell approved this?"

Motronic posted:

lol run. Some family businesses are fine, but there is no fixing a family business of petty tyrants.

This is spot-on. e: I'll leave it at that.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 10, 2024

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Family business + that treatment = Out you go. New job time. Sorry dude. :(

quote:

but I've stuck to the standard 2 weeks/year

Drill "standard 3 weeks/year" into your head. Two weeks is not standard for a skilled office professional even in the USA. If you are doing project management work, you are firmly into the tier of professionals where 3 weeks is the standard.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m considering a career change, is there a good place to learn more about a CFP career track? I guess the career path thread, but if anyone has any more resources.

I’ve realized all the stuff I have to do land another design job is making me cranky, unhappy and unwilling to do it. I think I’m totally burned out on it. There are things I loved, but I’m pretty done with tech and seems to be the only place to nab a UX job when the tech market isn’t undergoing a correction.

I’m thinking of CFP bc of the growing interest I have in finance, and I like the idea of helping others to set themselves up for a good financial future. Even better if I could use my job knowledge to help people historically underserved. A lot of what I liked about UX design was why people do the things they do and being the person to listen to issues and problem solved for them. I have a first round interview for an entry level financial consultant position on Thursday, so I want to come in with good questions.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

NoWake posted:

You're getting heavily taken advantage of. If I were you I'd comply with their 10 hour/day schedule to the letter including just getting up and leave exactly 10 hours after after "clocking in" and then taking the rest of the time in my day to apply for other jobs asap. gently caress that poo poo, do the bare minimum you need to get paid and jump ship.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m shocked you have an employment contract in the US. What are the terms?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m shocked you have an employment contract in the US. What are the terms?

First off, confidential & not to be shared with other employees :jerkbag:

Actually it's my employment offer I'd signed and returned - I thought it was a contract but I guess not. It gives my responsibilities, reporting location, pay rate per week (not hourly, but weekly), eligibility of benefits, travel policies, and chain of command. No listed requirements on work hours or duration per week.

"Remote work is a privilige, not a right" - sure, except the part in the offer that says my reporting location is my employee home office, or various job sites as required.

Following the directions for "Something you would like to do during standard working hours", I wrote in a request to get a haircut tomorrow between 11a and 12p. Haven't gotten a response on that, yet.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

cheese eats mouse posted:

I’m considering a career change, is there a good place to learn more about a CFP career track? I guess the career path thread, but if anyone has any more resources.

I’ve realized all the stuff I have to do land another design job is making me cranky, unhappy and unwilling to do it. I think I’m totally burned out on it. There are things I loved, but I’m pretty done with tech and seems to be the only place to nab a UX job when the tech market isn’t undergoing a correction.

I’m thinking of CFP bc of the growing interest I have in finance, and I like the idea of helping others to set themselves up for a good financial future. Even better if I could use my job knowledge to help people historically underserved. A lot of what I liked about UX design was why people do the things they do and being the person to listen to issues and problem solved for them. I have a first round interview for an entry level financial consultant position on Thursday, so I want to come in with good questions.
I went through all of the CFP stuff a while back, happy to answer any questions. I ended up quitting before finishing the experience requirement because I realized I didn't care enough about rich people's problems, but it was fun to learn all the stuff.

I did a couple interest interviews with some local CFPs and one of them reached out a few months later offering me a job. I'd say just make sure you work for an ethical place and not one selling while life or something like that. Ask about how quickly you can increase your responsibilities, especially client side, and what the track is towards a senior spot.

I really enjoyed working in a microfirm (3 people) because I grew quickly and was able to start leading client meetings within the year. If I wanted to keep going, I would have left and started my own firm catering to the niches I enjoyed working with. If I wasn't tied to a geographic location, I would have moved to join a larger XYPN firm probably. If you're interested in the tax side as well, the Alliance of Comprehensive Planners is the place to go. So many of those folks are old and retiring soon and looking for someone to take over their businesses.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

That sounds like a poo poo job that is actually paying you less than your salary because you're working an additional 2 hours a day, 10 hours per week, an additional 100 hours assuming you worked 50 weeks/year. If your job paid you $100000 salary.. the true salary would actually be $95238.10 because you're working extra hours

Find another employer that will pay you better and treat you better. This is poo poo behavior. Yes maybe sometimes you need to work a few hours over but no way would I be happy with a 4+ hour meeting at the end of the day without some kind of prior notice.

If they're going to force you to work over the 10 hours then the very least they should be doing is accommodating you on things like a dumb haircut. If they won't even do that then they're just leeching from you.

Edit: include who I'm replying to

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

NoWake posted:

Actually it's my employment offer I'd signed and returned - I thought it was a contract but I guess not. It gives my responsibilities, reporting location, pay rate per week (not hourly, but weekly), eligibility of benefits, travel policies, and chain of command. No listed requirements on work hours or duration per week.

"Remote work is a privilige, not a right" - sure, except the part in the offer that says my reporting location is my employee home office, or various job sites as required.

Following the directions for "Something you would like to do during standard working hours", I wrote in a request to get a haircut tomorrow between 11a and 12p. Haven't gotten a response on that, yet.

that is not an employment contract just FYI, there are no real rights or responsibilities that need to be upheld by either party. I was mostly asking because an actual employment contract typically has a notice period and other things that might restrict your ability to hit da bricks and yeah you should hit da bricks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 10, 2024

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

NoWake posted:

Yeah that's not an actual contract. Also, that :jerkbag: part is, as you gathered, not legal for them to enforce except maybe the literal exact document (do not show them this piece of paper). Your compensation is always able to be shared with coworkers, and this has been broadly taken to mean other aspects individually such as your vacation days, general terms of employment, etc. Always feel free to share your compensation with coworkers if you think it is worthwhile. :)

Still, RUN. gently caress this job.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are there any CoL calculators out there that are reasonably accurate? Or just a list of metro areas ranked by cost?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The CoL calculators are really only good for getting a ballpark idea of how two metro areas compare. If you need specifics, you're going to have to make more detailed comparisons.

I'm sure there are rankings out there but the cost of living in a metro area depends a lot on how you're going to live. Boston vs. Manhattan with a car is pretty different from Boston vs. Manhattan with no car, for instance, and you can probably find bigger disparities with a bit of research.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Got an email from Wells Fargo soliciting a checking account, and that if I keep $1000 in the account, they will eventually give me $325. Anybody do this sort of thing before? Anyone else get the email? What's the catch?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Otis Reddit posted:

Got an email from Wells Fargo soliciting a checking account, and that if I keep $1000 in the account, they will eventually give me $325. Anybody do this sort of thing before? Anyone else get the email? What's the catch?

It's legit. Read all the fine print and follow it accordingly. You might be required to keep the account open for some period after receiving the bonus. Withdraw all the cash and close the account after you're in the clear. Rinse and repeat at a new bank for more bonus cash. Remember that come tax time you'll probably need to pay a bit of that bonus to the feds.

Catch is that they hope you'll continue to use their banking services and they'll make money off you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The catch is that these bank accounts typically have poo poo interest rates so you end up losing out on interest income while you park your money to get the bonus. It usually works out better though.
But there are also fine print details like how long you have to keep the money in the account, minimum balances if any, and at the end of the day you'll probably get a 1099 for every bank signup bonus so you'll have to report those and also pay taxes on them. It's not 100% free money but it is free money, with strings.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

And best of all, your giving your financial information to Wells Fargo, who will certainly never misuse it in a massive case of customer fraud. I'm so mad that they bought up my last mortgage, but glad I didn't have any new accounts with them magically opened in my name.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpelledBackwards posted:

glad I didn't have any new accounts with them magically opened in my name.

The fun part about that is the "customers" rarely knew about the accounts so maybe you do!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Motronic posted:

The fun part about that is the "customers" rarely knew about the accounts so maybe you do!

I just checked my credit report last month and I'm good, but the reason I checked it was to figure out who was sending me banking offers with a slightly incorrect name. My 3 reports didn't show any alternate names and I've never used any other name, so it must be in some other system that I have no idea to check (is there some sort of equivalent report for Chex systems, etc.?). Could still use advice on next steps there. My posts from the 1 page ago:

SpelledBackwards posted:

There's at least one credit card / bank sending me card offers in the mail with an incorrect middle name. I'm worried there's some weirdness in my credit report somewhere, but last time I tried to get my report from the 3 bureaus through annualcreditreport.com, only 1 gave it to me electronically while the other 2 said I needed to send in all this PII via insecure snail mail to confirm my identity. No thanks.

I got a few of these misnamed offers a year or two ago and forgot about them, but got a new one again last week and want to actually fix the issue now.

How can I get this cleared up? I have an uncommon name, so it's unlikely this is a case of mistaken identity and more likely a clerical error, but I don't even know where this error supposedly exists.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yeah, I was using Firefox with an ad blocker last time I tried, so maybe that was it. I used a bare Chrome instance like you suggested just now and was able to get all 3 reports. None of them have any incorrect names listed for me, so maybe it's just this one provider. Still not sure how to suss it out or get it corrected in someone's system. Maybe I can contact the company making the CC offer. But obviously it's someone I don't have an existing relationship with, since they have my name wrong.

Fake edit: the latest thing was a savings account offer, not a credit card offer. Hmm, that might be new.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

And best of all, your giving your financial information to Wells Fargo, who will certainly never misuse it in a massive case of customer fraud. I'm so mad that they bought up my last mortgage, but glad I didn't have any new accounts with them magically opened in my name.

yeah Wells Fargo is on my "don't ever give them money" list of institutions

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SpelledBackwards posted:

I just checked my credit report last month and I'm good, but the reason I checked it was to figure out who was sending me banking offers with a slightly incorrect name. My 3 reports didn't show any alternate names and I've never used any other name, so it must be in some other system that I have no idea to check (is there some sort of equivalent report for Chex systems, etc.?). Could still use advice on next steps there. My posts from the 1 page ago:

Maybe you could check your LexisNexis report? I requested one recently and it has multiple forms of my name listed as part of the identification records section.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SpelledBackwards posted:

For Wells Fargo you'll want to pull EWS. EWS is a legit CRA co-owned by Wells Fargo. You can check out their sample report to see that they'd have daily bank account balances for all your participating accounts which is creepy af.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I use a credit Union for my basic banking needs but they savings account sucks.

Is Ally still the goon preferred universal savings account with decentish interest?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah Wells Fargo is on my "don't ever give them money" list of institutions

I have a Roth IRA with them. Are there any non-pain-in-the-rear end ways or non-fiscally-punitive ways to get my money from them into a different institution?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I have a Roth IRA with them. Are there any non-pain-in-the-rear end ways or non-fiscally-punitive ways to get my money from them into a different institution?

yes it is very not hard to open a new Roth IRA with a new institution. Transfering your money over is something you need to keep track of and might involve a couple of phone calls but imo that's a small price to pay to never give those fucks another dime.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I use a credit Union for my basic banking needs but they savings account sucks.

Is Ally still the goon preferred universal savings account with decentish interest?

Here's a good list of bank accounts with great interest rates: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/

Ally had a couple high profile security incidents in 2023 which prompted me to move my HYSA money over to Sofi, which has been fine. Their interest rate is also slightly higher than Ally. They do require direct deposit, however.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
I had a good experience with UFB Direct and I think they're still offering 5.25%

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are there any resources/templates for doing a university scholarship thing

My cousin is a teacher at a moderately rural high school in Texas and I guess one year of tuition is about $12,000 at state school UT Austin

After donating some money to their HS band program, that got me thinking, I was thinking about doing like a $1000 scholarship for seniors at that school

Is there any kind of legal liability or, whatever. I know nothing about this. Based on Reddit it sounds like $1000 is still fine that's like, 1/10th of a year of tuition

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vanguard will helpfully walk you through this process. I'm assuming Fidelity would, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Are there any resources/templates for doing a university scholarship thing

My cousin is a teacher at a moderately rural high school in Texas and I guess one year of tuition is about $12,000 at state school UT Austin

After donating some money to their HS band program, that got me thinking, I was thinking about doing like a $1000 scholarship for seniors at that school

Is there any kind of legal liability or, whatever. I know nothing about this. Based on Reddit it sounds like $1000 is still fine that's like, 1/10th of a year of tuition

You can just hand out a grand to a kid if you like. There's no tax liability, but you can't deduct it.

It would be more tax efficient to find an existing 501c3 that will let you endow a scholarship fund and have a say in where it goes.