Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was out of work for almost 2 years, was hired a few months ago, had a job with a stellar record for 4 months, and was wrongfully terminated over medical issues with an EEOC complaint in progress. What the hell do I put on my resume for that so I don't keep on racking up time out of work and don't look unreliable? Recruiters, the scourge of the earth, have demanded to explain a work gap when I was a full-time student, and I've even interviewed with one of the worst companies in the world, who did the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Put school on your resume like a job.

As for the recent gap - do you have kids by chance? They're always a good scapegoat.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You worked for Twitter for those two years and got let go after Elon bought it and fired a bunch of people, don't you remember?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Put school on your resume like a job.

As for the recent gap - do you have kids by chance? They're always a good scapegoat.
No kids, but once I graduated college I tacked 13 years of full time work onto my stint as 2 there s a student worker. I'm worried about that gap growing and narrowing my chances because of absurd "rules"and "standards of HR.

I'm open to most I only have a few moral rules that rule out entire sectors or large parts of them
-- No law enforcement, or their supporters period
-- No defense industry or their supporters, unless it's
-- Not that consulting company. Yeah, that one.
-- Not the company that decided the opioid crisis was good for business.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

No kids, but once I graduated college I tacked 13 years of full time work onto my stint as 2 there s a student worker. I'm worried about that gap growing and narrowing my chances because of absurd "rules"and "standards of HR.

I'm open to most I only have a few moral rules that rule out entire sectors or large parts of them
-- No law enforcement, or their supporters period
-- No defense industry or their supporters, unless it's
-- Not that consulting company. Yeah, that one.
-- Not the company that decided the opioid crisis was good for business.

You also could have been taking care of a sick family member.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

you were "consulting" for 2 years prior and got brought on to that job and worked it for 4 months.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

You also could have been taking care of a sick family member.
You mean the 3 years I was my mom's primary caretaker while she had Stage IV pancreatic cancer for 37 months? (actual, not made up) I feel like that plus developing PTSD twice more on top of it sparks the "find any legitimate reason to hire this guy" response from HR.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 10, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What's the recommended finance tracking website or app now? We have Passiv for portfolio balancing, though I've taken a lot of money out of investments since 2021 because I needed to buy a house and the market was completely bizarre.

I've used Mint and YNAB in the past but a bunch of life changes took me out of it. We're mostly just looking for some way to keep track who's paying for what and reconciling our purchases together. I tried going back to Mint but it just kind of hung on the registration process.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
YNAB is good, but I like Lunch Money's UI a little more. It does the same stuff.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

You said it was a while ago, so did you use YNAB4 (as in, manually entered your purchases), or something with automatically imported purchases?

If you used manual, you can save yourself a subscription fee and use YNAB4, which is still perfectly usable. If you're looking for something to automatically import, there are quite a few good choices (including modern YNAB, but also lunch money and many others)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Got a whole thread for that, though there isn't really a clear cut answer.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599364

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So my father passed away recently and we are trying to figure out what to do with his vehicle. Ultimately we need an SUV with a third row so we can fit my mother, wife and our 2 kids in one vehicle. What would be the most legal/tax advantaged way to handle this?

Does she gift me the car, then I could trade it in/sell it? The car is worth more than $17,000; so there would be some tax issues there I believe.

Do I buy the car from her for $1?

Does she just come with me to trade in the car and the dealership apply the value to my purchase?

Jows
May 8, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

So my father passed away recently and we are trying to figure out what to do with his vehicle. Ultimately we need an SUV with a third row so we can fit my mother, wife and our 2 kids in one vehicle. What would be the most legal/tax advantaged way to handle this?

Does she gift me the car, then I could trade it in/sell it? The car is worth more than $17,000; so there would be some tax issues there I believe.

Do I buy the car from her for $1?

Does she just come with me to trade in the car and the dealership apply the value to my purchase?

Far and away the easiest thing is for your mother to be a part of the transaction rather than insert yourself as a middle man, giving money to the state for no reason through taxes. And you can't just buy the car for $1 dollar, your state will probably have a tax table based on the age/model/class of the vehicle.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

You don’t need a sale transaction at all. You just need to transfer the title. Transferring the title can be done at whatever local DMV your county has and will cost some money. If the title was in your fathers name and now he’s dead, you may need a death certificate and the asset’s new owner (likely your mom?) to participate in the transaction.

“Gift tax” is only a thing when the giver has exceeded some loony number like $13,000,000 of total lifetime gifts; do not worry about tax consequences of gifts unless you’re a powerball winner or something.

DNK fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 29, 2023

Jows
May 8, 2002

DNK posted:

You don’t need a sale transaction at all. You just need to transfer the title. Transferring the title can be done at whatever local DMV your county has and will cost some money. If the title was in your fathers name and now he’s dead, you may need a death certificate and the asset’s new owner (likely your mom?) to participate in the transaction.

“Gift tax” is only a thing when the giver has exceeded some loony number like $13,000,000 of total lifetime gifts; do not worry about tax consequences of gifts unless you’re a powerball winner or something.

When my grandmother died the state basically forced me to effectively buy the car from the estate (me and my sis) and had to pay sales tax on that transaction.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jows posted:

When my grandmother died the state basically forced me to effectively buy the car from the estate (me and my sis) and had to pay sales tax on that transaction.

That is very different in my state and others to a father-to-son transaction. It's literally a carve out in our vehicle code.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Jows posted:

Yeah, it really does matter if the assets are being moved through probate or if they are being transferred from the assumed owner.

Example #1: uncle with no close relatives dies without a will (and you want their car)

Example #2: your dad dies and he co-owns a vehicle where the title is in both the mom and dad’s name (and you want their car). Note: a will, if it exists, is irrelevant wrt the car

Example #3: your dad dies with the vehicle in his name only without a will but with a surviving wife

Example #4: your dad dies with the vehicle in his name only with a will with a wife

Example #5: your dad dies without a will or wife

Example #6: Medicare / ward of state / limited assets

Each of those examples are different. However, example #2 and #3 are likely common occurrences and are categorically different than the others due to how they skip probate nonsense. In 2/3 you are not purchasing the vehicle from the estate, you are being gifted it from the surviving partner.

In #3 you may need to have the title transferred from the deceased to the survivor and then from the survivor to the new owner. Idk, IANAL.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is something your probate attorney (estate planning attorney, whatever) can tell you off-hand without thinking about it. Like 12 minutes billable if you have no other business to discuss.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Yeah, I got screwed because the car wasn't specifically listed in her will or something like that. DMV lady said if my dad was still alive it wouldn't have been an issue.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Any reason to not use Affirm 0% financing for a four-figure purchase? Can I make those payments with a credit card so I can still get those rewards? I can afford to pay outright but I’d rather let the funds earn interest in a HYSA.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Easychair Bootson posted:

Any reason to not use Affirm 0% financing for a four-figure purchase? Can I make those payments with a credit card so I can still get those rewards? I can afford to pay outright but I’d rather let the funds earn interest in a HYSA.

Are you talking about Affirm "pay in 4"? That's every 2 weeks, so 2 months. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for what's going to be, at best, tens of dollars and probably a lot less. Just pay with a credit card to get the points and pay off the credit card.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
It’s 0% for 12 months on a $5000 purchase. So that’s what, $100 assuming 4.25% out of my HYSA? But $100 is also what I’d earn via 2% cash back (with no tax implications) so if I can’t get cash back on the Affirm payments (if they require bank transfer or if they charge a fee for credit cards) it’s obviously not worth it.

e: looks like CC is only an option for some payments so I think I’ll pass on Affirm

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 2, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Fidelity had a 0% for 18months card 2 month ago if you're looking for some interest float. 2% rewards as cash and everything. They gave me quite the limit which has been nice for buying poo poo for the new house. See if they still have it available?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey sorry if this isn't the right thread but i hope it's ok...

My company is not doing well. I worked for them in California for at least 4 years, but in the spring of this year I moved to Washington to work remotely in the Seattle area.

If my company dissolves, I file for unemployment in Calfornia, I think? It's a weird situation because I think you have to work in Washington for 18 months to get unemployment there. Not to mention, I don't even work here. I remote into Silicon Valley.

Anyways what are my options here?

As an aside, I am amazed how low the CA unemployment bennies are vs washington.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 3, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You should file in the state where the work is done, so in this case you'd file in Washington. If the case was you were in one state and commuting to another to work, you would file in that state instead.

Washington will get with California if they need to collect a portion of the unemployment insurance that was paid by the company to cover your claim. This also means that you may get a rate more comparable with the current California unemployment rate even though you're filing in Washington since you lived and worked in California for a portion of your time at that company. They'll figure it out.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks man.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Taima posted:

Hey sorry if this isn't the right thread but i hope it's ok...

My company is not doing well. I worked for them in California for at least 4 years, but in the spring of this year I moved to Washington to work remotely in the Seattle area.

Silly question but does work have you listed as working in Washington state, paying appropriate taxes and such? Or did you just disappear to Washington and are still basically paid "in" California?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hah- it's all official yeah as of earlier this year and we definitely pay our taxes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Taima posted:

Hah- it's all official yeah as of earlier this year and we definitely pay our taxes.

That's crucial. Glad to hear it's resolved. If it wasn't now would be the time to drop a dime on them if they knew you moved to Washington, or to move back in with someone in California.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Really appreciate the help brother. My main concern was just that I haven't been here for that long.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How is everyone estimating what they might be spending in retirement?

I'm freaking out being behind some dumb throwaway "Have 3x your income in retirement savings by the time you're 40" rule of thumb sentiment. Is this assuming that I want the same level of income at retirement? In my mind we're in a good (enough) spot assuming nothing catastrophic happens between now and retirement, but I see stuff like that and internalize that we're straight hosed.

I think most of it comes from earning significantly more in the last couple of years, greatly increasing retirement contributions, and since the market has been hot garbage it seems we're not making any progress. I know this stuff takes time but it's a little mentally defeating.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
One thing to consider is that while in retirement you might not need all the latest gadgets or kid supplies, medical expenses can be pretty killer. I also always heard that your expenses go way down just due to not having to work — stuff like not needing office clothes or lunches — but wfh has shown me it’s not that huge a difference.

What are you invested in? The market overall hasn’t been so bad (unless you bought everything in Nov 2021 ig) — here’s the last three years for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 17, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

How is everyone estimating what they might be spending in retirement?

I'm freaking out being behind some dumb throwaway "Have 3x your income in retirement savings by the time you're 40" rule of thumb sentiment. Is this assuming that I want the same level of income at retirement? In my mind we're in a good (enough) spot assuming nothing catastrophic happens between now and retirement, but I see stuff like that and internalize that we're straight hosed.

I think most of it comes from earning significantly more in the last couple of years, greatly increasing retirement contributions, and since the market has been hot garbage it seems we're not making any progress. I know this stuff takes time but it's a little mentally defeating.

It's just a rough benchmark, don't freak out about it too much. But if it gets you saving more, then it's a good thing.

The good thing right now is that you have a little choice in investment again, don't have to dump your savings blindly into the stock market to try for decent returns. You can get 7 or 8% with some pretty low risk long dated bonds.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A few years ago I had a conversation with someone who was a high level quant at one of the big investment banks, and he told me about a project he led to study what sort of products they could offer to wealthy retirees. The main thing they found is that having good insurance is what really made the difference between the people who stayed rich and those who had problems. Of course since the bank didn't offer insurance policies they shelved the project, but the insight's out there at least.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

One thing to consider is that while in retirement you might not need all the latest gadgets or kid supplies, medical expenses can be pretty killer. I also always heard that your expenses go way down just due to not having to work — stuff like not needing office clothes or lunches — but wfh has shown me it’s not that huge a difference.

What are you invested in? The market overall hasn’t been so bad (unless you bought everything in Nov 2021 ig) — here’s the last three years for me.

I don't have a great way of tracking our stuff long term, unfortunately. I have personal capital (now empower) set up but it's been pretty unreliable in keeping accounts synced and working so I'd have to look at 5 different accounts simultaneously. I looked at Vanguard which has my Roth and SEP-IRA, and my lifetime rate of return from 2015 to current is only ~4.7% (1yr is 14%, however). That seems pretty crappy, but I guess it's a positive number. I have everything in a target date fund.

Part of my problem, I think, is that I'm remembering the Nov '21 high where my 403b was from my previous employer and I'm still not back to that balance (though no further contributions are happening to that account). Also, my Roth IRA balance has been the sameish for what seems like a long time (since I also can't contribute to that anymore). All of my "growth" is from my SEP-IRA because that's where I'm dumping my money. But I do believe you're right ultimately.

Baddog posted:

It's just a rough benchmark, don't freak out about it too much. But if it gets you saving more, then it's a good thing.

The good thing right now is that you have a little choice in investment again, don't have to dump your savings blindly into the stock market to try for decent returns. You can get 7 or 8% with some pretty low risk long dated bonds.

This is another thing in the back of my mind. We have a large amount cash sitting doing nothing because we're not-really-looking-but-thinking-about-threatening-to-look for another house (or doing some renovations to ours) and in my mind I've wanted to keep some money liquid. Outside of dedicated retirement accounts, we don't have anything in a more traditional brokerage account. The cash cushion is nice/comforting, but it's also pretty dumb from a "this could be making some money" perspective.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

dreesemonkey posted:

This is another thing in the back of my mind. We have a large amount cash sitting doing nothing because we're not-really-looking-but-thinking-about-threatening-to-look for another house (or doing some renovations to ours) and in my mind I've wanted to keep some money liquid. Outside of dedicated retirement accounts, we don't have anything in a more traditional brokerage account. The cash cushion is nice/comforting, but it's also pretty dumb from a "this could be making some money" perspective.

Hello half assedly looking for a house buddy! I've been doing the same thing of stuffing money into a saving account to have it liquid in the event of house buying and also wonder if I should lock it up in something longer term or higher yield. Current half baked idea is a house in 1-2 years, and I'm curious what the goon hivemind has to say about this strat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't have a great way of tracking our stuff long term, unfortunately. I have personal capital (now empower) set up but it's been pretty unreliable in keeping accounts synced and working so I'd have to look at 5 different accounts simultaneously. I looked at Vanguard which has my Roth and SEP-IRA, and my lifetime rate of return from 2015 to current is only ~4.7% (1yr is 14%, however). That seems pretty crappy, but I guess it's a positive number. I have everything in a target date fund.

Part of my problem, I think, is that I'm remembering the Nov '21 high where my 403b was from my previous employer and I'm still not back to that balance (though no further contributions are happening to that account). Also, my Roth IRA balance has been the sameish for what seems like a long time (since I also can't contribute to that anymore). All of my "growth" is from my SEP-IRA because that's where I'm dumping my money. But I do believe you're right ultimately.

I'm in a similar position sitting on a bunch of cash and short term investments because we are pondering house purchase in probably sub 3 years. At minimum, make sure you've got that in something that has decent returns - HYSA, T-Bills, short term fund like SGOV, etc.

Also, like, don't look at the balances that much for your retirement accounts. Easier said than done, I know. But with a TDF you're relying on macroeconomic growth over a n year time horizon til you retire, so it doesn't really matter whether number is up or down until you get to the end of that time horizon when you intend to retire.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At minimum, make sure you've got that in something that has decent returns - HYSA, T-Bills, short term fund like SGOV, etc.

Yep. If you have money that you know you won't need in the next year, lock down some returns.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ultrafilter posted:

Yep. If you have money that you know you won't need in the next year, lock down some returns.

I realized I'm probably going to have a emotional reaction to number goes down as I sell my gigantic pile of T-Bills to pay for a house at some point. I should probably figure out how to deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I realized I'm probably going to have a emotional reaction to number goes down as I sell my gigantic pile of T-Bills to pay for a house at some point. I should probably figure out how to deal with that.

In your neck of the woods houses have historically and recently been a pretty strong investment vehicle, so just think of it as rearranging your portfolio.