Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

I'm growing a lot more than basil though. Eventually when it comes winter time I'll pull everything out from the beds and keep it safe under a grow light, but till then the basil is growing like weeds in the starter planters. Just keeping the cats away from it has been... Challenging.

We're growing basil, sage, thyme, dill, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, shallots (fuckers wont sprout from bulbs yet), bought a rosemary bush, and 4 types of chiles (hatch red/green, jalapenos and cayenne), and cat grass

Can't loving waaaiiit

Man, I planted this fucker on December 29th and it's going nowhere.

I think it's because the winter has 7 hours of sunlight and -35C temperatures, even though it's inside under a lamp.

Edit:

oxbrain posted:

How much basil would I have to grow and sell to fund my habit of eating out every day at lunch?

Approximately four BASILS per day.

Sundae posted:

I have never once regretted buying you that avatar. :lol:

You must be so proud of all the threads that get derailed with BASILtalk.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Sundae posted:

I have never once regretted buying you that avatar. :lol:

I don't hang out in BFC enough to get what's obviously an inside joke, so I honestly have no idea (even after the pictures of :siren: actual basil :siren: have been posted) if this is a forums-friendly weed joke or not.

Please don't spoil it for me; not being able to google an answer on the internet is a magical feeling for me. :allears:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

FadingChord posted:

I don't hang out in BFC enough to get what's obviously an inside joke, so I honestly have no idea (even after the pictures of :siren: actual basil :siren: have been posted) if this is a forums-friendly weed joke or not.

Please don't spoil it for me; not being able to google an answer on the internet is a magical feeling for me. :allears:

Go read Tuyops budget thread. Just, do it after you read the chronicals of Zurag and Slow Motions thread though. They're far better and more entertaining. No offense to you Tyuop, but I know you agree.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FadingChord posted:

The joke is that even after all these years, we're still not sure if he was going to grow pot or basil. He claims it was basil, but if you want to turn a profit from a hydroponic grow-op, you'd think pot, right? Anyway it seems it was basil all along, we're still not sure.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I did not eat out today.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I did not eat out today.

I bought a $2.50 coffee from one of the coffee shops on campus. It's kind of a gamble for me because I've gotten to know one of the workers there and she sometimes gives me my coffee (or like a three dollar muffin) for free.

The worst part: it was cold. $2.50 for cold loving coffee!

But, there's still 110 in the family fun money budget so whatever.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nocheez posted:

I did not eat out today.

Went to the grocery store Saturday and they had a sale on those bowls of ramen. The spicy one, they're loving delicious.

I get that they're not the greatest nutrition ever and that $1.20 is still not BFC optimal for a meal, but I stocked up because they're an easy no-excuse meal. Too tired to cook? No clean dishes? Kitchen dirty? Got to McD's. Make ramens. No time to make lunches for work? Eat out. Bring ramens.

Because goddamn does eating out get expensive, at ~$8.50 a go on average

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I used to live off Ramen and Mt.Dew :( and I'm glad that was a long time ago. Today when I have Ramen (which isn't often) I usually crack a couple eggs with it and some vegetables.

edit: I also did not eat out today. :)

I remember jumping in Tuyop's thread a long time ago just because I wanted to know what his avatar was about.

Nocheez posted:

I did not eat out today.

Good job :)

edit:

quote:

You must be so proud of all the threads that get derailed with BASILtalk.

It's not really a derail in this thread so I'm not rewarding him any points. If something hilarious happens in one of the other BFC threads (or something financially related in another forum) bring it up here if you want. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't have time to go through every thread.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 18, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I really need to stop spending so much money on such useless poo poo. I'm still putting a good-ish amount away each month but I could save so much more. I've bought YNAB and will try making a budget tonight.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I really need to stop spending so much money on such useless poo poo. I'm still putting a good-ish amount away each month but I could save so much more. I've bought YNAB and will try making a budget tonight.

Can you give us an example? :allears:

I'll go, last week I bought a Bluetooth speaker. 80 after shipping.

I just want one so bad. :negative:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'll go!

I'm very seriously considering building a fairly nice HTPC (~$1k), despite only owning a crappy 32" TV, and being totally happy watching stuff on my monitor anyway.

I'm justifying it by saying I don't have cable TV, and haven't had it for years, but it's still eating up a substantial amount of the amount I've saved by not.

It just seems like a fun project! I'd be able to stream Amazon/Netflix/Hulu, and use it as a NAS/subsonic server so I could turn my main (much more power consuming) PC off when I wasn't using it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Bluetooth speaker is/was one of my favorite buys ever. But I did it in true frugal fashion by using gift money :smug:

Tomorrow we'll find out just how endless my stupidity is. Long story short, decided to get some car maintenance done by an acquaintance since he's trying to do some work on the side. Well, he does the work and then I get the car and it runs absolutely awful (multiple cylinder misfire, running ultra rich, way down on power). So I'm taking it to my mechanic and writing the $450 (acquaintance labor) off as stupid tax. Of course the acquaintance wants to "make it right". No thanks.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
:worship: BFC is my shepherd, I shall not want. :worship:

I'm very happy with the bluetooth Logitech headset I got off of Amazon (daily deal) a couple weeks ago. Now I can sit on the couch or go to the bedroom and listen to what I want when my wife wants to watch something else on her laptop.

edit: I went the extra mile this morning and packed some food for my wife to take to work this morning.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 18, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

tuyop posted:

As I said it's mostly small stuff that can add up. Pizza now and then (~£10), lottery tickets, games on Steam etc.

Absolutely fine in moderation (I'm preaching to the choir here :D ) But I don't keep track of what I buy apart from a cursory glance at my balance every few days. Which causes me to go "It's that low? Whaaa" etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

As I said it's mostly small stuff that can add up. Pizza now and then (~£10), lottery tickets, games on Steam etc.

Absolutely fine in moderation (I'm preaching to the choir here :D ) But I don't keep track of what I buy apart from a cursory glance at my balance every few days. Which causes me to go "It's that low? Whaaa" etc.

Why would you ever buy lottery tickets?

Unless you just don't understand math, which I get, math is hard. But still, :psyduck:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The most I've splurged in the last several months was going on two dates and buying myself an iron and a new file box for all my personal records.

I've hit the wall where all the financial tips in the world won't help me any further. I need to increase my income.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Once in a blue moon I'll buy a couple lottery tickets (I probably spent $7-8 bucks last year on lottery tickets) but only when the jackpot is obscenely high. I enjoy having the "What would you do with the money if you won" conversation with my wife, co-workers, friends and family that are also playing. I know I won't win but it's fun to participate in the social aspect of it.

That said, I have a hard time understanding people that play it every day, I even know someone that probably gambles hundreds of dollars a month away on lottery tickets.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 18, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

buying myself an iron and a new file box for all my personal records.

You think this counts as splurging?

I guess I am splurging on a Vegas guys weekend starting Friday, but I also paid for it with my vacation fund (flight and hotel) and blow money (which I saved the last 4 months to have). With any luck I will pick the NCAA games well and the weekend will be low cost.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

tuyop posted:

Unless you just don't understand math, which I get, math is hard. But still, :psyduck:

Mostly it's a mental exercise for me. I'll spend £1 (£2 for a Euromillions ticket), and as I'm walking to or from work I'll run through what I'd do with the money. Whether I'd give any to specific friends, whether I'd buy a house or go travelling, whether I'd continue working depending on the amount... I actually find it pretty helpful to evaluate where I am in life, who I consider to be my friends.

Of course if I win I'll invest in your :siren:BASIL:siren: growing enterprise.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

You think this counts as splurging?
In my life? Yes. :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

That said, I have a hard time understanding people that play it every day, I even know someone that probably gambles hundreds of dollars a month away on lottery tickets.

Once in a while if I have a few bucks in my pocket (read: $6 to $10 in cash), I'll put it into Keno, because hey, it's kinda fun, but I see people plugging at least a hundred into Keno every day.

Then again the other day I was there when someone did win $61,000.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

tuyop posted:

Technically when the lottery prize pool breaks a certain point (~260m iirc) then buying a lottery ticket makes mathematical sense (your expected value is positive), which means you should play. Realistically though, you're not going to win.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Grumpwagon posted:

I'll go!

I'm very seriously considering building a fairly nice HTPC (~$1k), despite only owning a crappy 32" TV, and being totally happy watching stuff on my monitor anyway.

I'm justifying it by saying I don't have cable TV, and haven't had it for years, but it's still eating up a substantial amount of the amount I've saved by not.

It just seems like a fun project! I'd be able to stream Amazon/Netflix/Hulu, and use it as a NAS/subsonic server so I could turn my main (much more power consuming) PC off when I wasn't using it.

Don't do this. I accomplish everything you mentioned using my slim ps3 and an application called ps3 server. My roommate connected a subsonic server to it as well.

Netflix Hulu and all that crap are on there.

PS3 hard drives can be upgraded too.

Or just get chromecast for 35$ which I'm pretty sure can stream Netflix.

Also I'm sure your pc isn't consuming that much power if all it's doing is idling or playing a movie. Especially compared to running everything at full tilt in a game or photoshop.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ranbo das posted:

Technically when the lottery prize pool breaks a certain point (~260m iirc) then buying a lottery ticket makes mathematical sense (your expected value is positive), which means you should play. Realistically though, you're not going to win.

Yes, if you gamble then a lottery ticket can be a fair bet, but that's very rarely the case.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Don't do this. I accomplish everything you mentioned using my slim ps3 and an application called ps3 server. My roommate connected a subsonic server to it as well.

Netflix Hulu and all that crap are on there.

PS3 hard drives can be upgraded too.

Or just get chromecast for 35$ which I'm pretty sure can stream Netflix.

Also I'm sure your pc isn't consuming that much power if all it's doing is idling or playing a movie. Especially compared to running everything at full tilt in a game or photoshop.

A PS3 is something I hadn't thought of, and I'm going to research its capabilities now. One of the goals of this project is to have a low power device so I can turn off my very high power consuming desktop. I'm not sure a PS3 can do the more advanced home server things I'm thinking of offloading from my main computer, but I'll be the first to admit I haven't looked into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm using a Chromecast now, and it's good for what it is. It streams Netflix/Hulu very well, and I can even play audio/video from subsonic using chrome tab mirroring (there have been report of audio desync using tab mirroring, but I've found as long as network latency is low, it works well). When playing local media though, it's very limited.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I took a PC that my office was going to throw out, didn't even reinstall XP, and I've had that hooked up to my TV, and it works completely fine for streaming whatever I want. You really don't have to go expensive to get something that works well.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
My friend crew will occasionally pop into the corner store to buy our booze and pick up a few scratchers in solidarity with one another. On nights like those, winning $2 on a $1 scratch-off becomes the coup of the century. It's fun to watch.

We're also good at casually disregarding the fact that the rest of the scratchers are losers so a $2 win actually becomes a $6 net loss. :shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I ate out. McDonald's.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

tuyop posted:

Yes, if you gamble then a lottery ticket can be a fair bet, but that's very rarely the case.

At least in the big multistate lotteries, it's never a fair bet, no matter how large the jackpot gets. The reason being that as the jackpot grows, the number of ticket sales per drawing grows in an unfavorable way. This increases the odds that you'll have to split the jackpot to the point where your expected payout is negative.

Maybe it could work for a smaller local lottery that has a different sales curve due to less media exposure, but megamillions and powerball won't be fair bets even if the jackpots somehow get to be in the billions.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I ate a ramen and drank a free coke from the company fridge. I would have eaten out of the garbage but I had a moment of weakness.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I wish you guys would eat better, you're making frugality look unhealthy

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Juanito posted:

I took a PC that my office was going to throw out, didn't even reinstall XP, and I've had that hooked up to my TV, and it works completely fine for streaming whatever I want. You really don't have to go expensive to get something that works well.

This is also a good point. I also have an old computer that would do the trick. 2 downsides to doing that are noise and power consumption. Noise is really key to enjoying an HTPC, and as currently constructed, my recycled parts would fail this miserably. Still, buying quieter case fans, or even a quiet case is a lot less expensive than buying an entire PC.

From talking this over, if I do this, I'm going to revise my price point down a lot, through some amount of recycling and lower speced components (or a PS3).

Thanks guys!

No Wave posted:

I wish you guys would eat better, you're making frugality look unhealthy

This too. Despite talking about dropping $1000 on a computer, normally I live quite frugally. Healthy food is extremely important, and doesn't have to be expensive. Cooking is fun, BudgetBytes is a great place to start.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, at the very least, I'm sure you could build a budget htpc for like 350-400 bucks. Some cheap old case, apu (gpu+pcu) and a 1tb drive (80 bucks?) would probably do you fine.

What kind of power is your normal pc kicking out when it's doing server duty?

There might be some driver issues with the ps3, but I can't recall. It isn't nearly as bad as the 360, which is a big pain in the rear end. Any standard laptop hdd will slide right into the fatty and slim ps3s. I don't know about the super slim budget one they just released though.

In other news, I really need to start using my crock pot more. Or making huge casserole dishes I can freeze for later. I hate waking up a little late then feeling like I'm wasting time making a decent meal, cause it's insane logic.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I did not eat out today and I even went for a 2 mile walk afterwards.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

HTPC chat: I have an hp desktop that is almost silent and came with a core2duo 8500. Monopricee USB wifi adapter and a cheap fan-less video card and it can play anything I throw at it without any sort of issue. Starting with the c2d, I think computers are all pretty much fast enough for anything other than modern games or hardcore workstation type stuff. My 3ish year old laptop will probably never get too slow.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm glad everyone is talking about HTPCs. I've had one for 3 or 4 years now and it's paid for itself. I was thinking about upgrading it so it boots faster, but is it really worth it to enjoy Archer or Workaholics 15 seconds sooner?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dream of setting up an NAS and using it to play music through sonos speakers in every room and back yard and serve my tv.

Now we just chromecast YouTube and Netflix from our phones and plug in an otherwise-useless laptop through hdmi.

I'll probably do the former after a few years of teaching on reserves in the north, pulling in whatever absurd salary they pay with the minimal expenses living in a teachage implies. Last month I checked and I'm eligible for a $16 000 bursary for 9 weeks of a practicum in a northern school. My disability pay makes it only worth about 8k, but still!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Maybe this is out of scope for this thread, but has anyone used a Chromebox to pull HTPC duties? You'd have to boot Linux, obviously, but I was planning on doing that anyway. Seems like a cheap way to get Haswell's power savings at a very low price.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

This thread actually promoted me to look at my finances properly. I need to stop spending so much on taxis, holy poo poo D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

This thread actually promoted me to look at my finances properly. I need to stop spending so much on taxis, holy poo poo D:

If you need any help with your YNAB setup don't hesitate to ask. There's some really wonky things in there.