Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Well an unsubsidized $400 phone would actually more than pay for itself in a year versus my current plan, since my employer covers $100 and it'd be saving me $30 a month...then the second year would be just gravy. Thanks! My contract is up in September and I'll probably go with a Nexus 5 unsubsidized with T-Mobile then. It'll be nice to not have to worry about how many texts I have left and data overages.

Of course the truly frugal thing would be to stick with my RAZR M for another couple years, but 8 gigs of memory is really cramping my style, even with an SD card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I just do intermittent fasting and don't worry about cooking breakfast or packing lunch. There is no biological reason why you must eat three times a day and gorging to get to 3300 calories from 5-9 is easy and cheap and awesome.

The first ten days or so kind of suck as you recondition your hormones to not be hungry at breakfast and lunch time, but after that you actually NEVER feel hungry and skipping a day or two of food is almost unnoticeable.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
How do you even eat 3300 calories worth of basil without throwing up?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's over 25 pounds of basil.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

That's over 25 pounds of basil.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
How do you get 3300 calories in four hours? That's two pounds of butter. I'm assuming I didn't answer my own question.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My guess is that once you eat that much basil your body will develop chloroplasts and you'll be able to eat sunlight the rest of your life. The only downside is your skin will likely turn green.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The only thing about t mobile is make sure the coverage is good. It is great in Denver and then sucks everywhere else I travel for work. I am still with Verizon since I got my moto x 32gb for $100 (free since work pays $100 for phones) and my bill is only $70 a month for 2gb data (work pays up to $75 a month). Got to love free phones and corporate discounts (20%).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

How do you get 3300 calories in four hours? That's two pounds of butter. I'm assuming I didn't answer my own question.

Actually, lately I haven't been hitting 3300 just because my actual window has been reduced from 5-9 to like 7-9 due to workload.

But here's yesterday. Ignore the "4-6", that's old.

So like, 2200 calories =
4x eggs w/cheese
Trail mix
Toast w/ cinnamon sugar
Big loving salad w/a whole sausage (sausage is from my farmer, actual salt content is unknown)
Cereal with protein

A 3300 day would have those extra two hours to consume a big old stir fry with white fish or something. Maybe a couple of tuna sandwiches or salmon cakes. At this rate I'm turning into a 6" 160-lb twink pretty quickly. The other day my wife described me as "skinny" and I wept a little bit, my days of weighing 195 and running a <18 5k are behind me. :qq:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Any online resource you recommend for reading more about intermittent fasting? It interests me..

I feel like I have periods where I can go all day without eating.. but it doesn't seem healthy, since I've always been told that if you don't eat, then your body goes into starvation mode, and it becomes even harder to lose weight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

Actually, lately I haven't been hitting 3300 just because my actual window has been reduced from 5-9 to like 7-9 due to workload.

But here's yesterday. Ignore the "4-6", that's old.

So like, 2200 calories =
4x eggs w/cheese
Trail mix
Toast w/ cinnamon sugar
Big loving salad w/a whole sausage (sausage is from my farmer, actual salt content is unknown)
Cereal with protein

A 3300 day would have those extra two hours to consume a big old stir fry with white fish or something. Maybe a couple of tuna sandwiches or salmon cakes. At this rate I'm turning into a 6" 160-lb twink pretty quickly. The other day my wife described me as "skinny" and I wept a little bit, my days of weighing 195 and running a <18 5k are behind me. :qq:
What weight are you at right now? That was more simple carbs than expected.

Juanito posted:

Any online resource you recommend for reading more about intermittent fasting? It interests me..

I feel like I have periods where I can go all day without eating.. but it doesn't seem healthy, since I've always been told that if you don't eat, then your body goes into starvation mode, and it becomes even harder to lose weight.
The YLLS thread covers it. "Starvation mode" is mostly myth but sort of real in that if you do something low carb most people recommend a "carb refeed" once a week to reset your leptin levels (leptin now apparently being the thingy that causes "starvation mode"). The information on this stuff is always evolving and almost always eventually at least partially wrong, so basically look for a diet with a lifestyle/food choices you like and with people who have gotten the results you're looking for, try it out for a month, and calibrate accordingly. IF is pretty good that way and it works psychologically in the sense that it makes the window that you can think about food smaller. It can mean as little as skipping breakfast and eating a late lunch.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 19, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

Yeah that's bullshit. If that were true I'd be a fatass by now. 

But check out the IF thread in YLLS if you're interested. 

"Starvation mode" isn't very well-understood IIRC but seems to only affect people if they have like a 1k/day caloric deficit. With IF you can just calculate your intake totals per week and you're free to consume those however you want. It's pretty sweet having 14000 calories per week, eating half a pizza, then taking a day off to balance it out and continuing as normal to hit your weekly deficit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

What weight are you at right now? That was more simple carbs than expected.

6" 168lbs. I squatted 285x6 last month so I wouldn't say I'm "skinny". :mad:

And yeah, my diet has been poo poo lately. I'm kind of ashamed.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I'll second IF being awesome and point to the leangains thread in YLLS for those who are also interested in lifting. Read the general IF stuff first.

It saves me a lot of money because I don't buy breakfast/lunches at work except for social events.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I drove to work today and am standing outside the tastiest thai cart in town , waiting for my extra-hot pad thai.

Al least failure is delicious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The woman in line in front of me was buying a soup and her card was getting rejected. She was obviously super embarrassed and upset. I asked if I could help and just paid for both of our orders (I got coffee).

A few hours later I was walking by that cafe and the manager called me over. I guess the cashier pointed me out to him and he gave me like twelve bucks worth of chips and baked goods for being nice.

Damnit man, I just want to be kind, don't turn this into a transaction! :mad:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
In today's America you really should be on the news as a local hero by now.

Anyway, I didn't eat out today. I tried microwaving a couple eggs at work and that turned out great, along with an avocado, a couple bananas on the drive and a few other things throughout the day.

I think the thread is making this easy for me because it hasn't really been hard since I started. :shrug: Usually it's a struggle because I so want to leave the office but there's nowhere to go without having to drive, sit in the cold or feeling obligated to buy something.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

In today's America you really should be on the news as a local hero by now.
This Woman Was About To Return A Soup. Then This Happened.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz

tuyop posted:

The woman in line in front of me was buying a soup and her card was getting rejected. She was obviously super embarrassed and upset. I asked if I could help and just paid for both of our orders (I got coffee).

A few hours later I was walking by that cafe and the manager called me over. I guess the cashier pointed me out to him and he gave me like twelve bucks worth of chips and baked goods for being nice.

Damnit man, I just want to be kind, don't turn this into a transaction! :mad:

You could have been the next guy to start another 'pay it forward' deal like what happened at that Tim Horton's a while back.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pancaek posted:

You could have been the next guy to start another 'pay it forward' deal like what happened at that Tim Horton's a while back.

I love that doesn't devolve into a prisoner's dilemma of ever-increasingly extravagant purchases. :3:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I ate out today :(

It couldn't be helped. I live close to my office, but I had to go to a customer location on short notice.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I ate at the cafeteria today but it was part of my budget that I allocated at the beginning of the month so I'm happy about it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
gently caress that I eat out for lunch everyday at work. On the bright side it's usually under 5 dollars a day, and if I go a lil crazy it'll be 7-8 dollars. I subsidize my eating habits by not having my own car or cell phone!

Jesus christ though if I had a car and a cell phone I'd never be able to eat out. EVER

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I ate out today :(

It couldn't be helped. I live close to my office, but I had to go to a customer location on short notice.

Why didn't you just not eat? Are you a slave to food???

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I paid $2,200 in taxes today. BFC General/Daily Discussion thread. Don't pay taxes today.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

More like you paid the government back for the interest-free loan they were giving you today!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^ I like the way you think.

Sundae posted:

I paid $2,200 in taxes today. BFC General/Daily Discussion thread. Don't pay taxes today.

$2460 for me to the ole IRS. State owes me $32.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Paid $1600 today to the dentist for my SO, with at least that amount again (and probably multiples of it) to come. Sigh.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

spwrozek posted:

^ I like the way you think.

$2460 for me to the ole IRS. State owes me $32.

Ouch.

I can't really complain since I totally owed the money (it was from unpaid quarterlies from my side business), but it still hurts, especially when you see that you've already had $23K withheld and STILL owe money.

At least I'll only file for one state in 2014. I had to file in three for 2013.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mine was due to about $10,000 in gambling winnings (free windows). I knew it was coming as well but it still sucks.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I got approved for a bonus :woop: :woop:

Now to be boring and put half of it toward debt :shrug:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Veskit posted:

That is totally not boring. My bonus went taxes, charity, debt, ski passes for next year.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Yeah freedom is so boring!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah freedom is so boring!

spwrozek posted:

That is totally not boring. My bonus went taxes, charity, debt, ski passes for next year.

Thanks for the encouragement. People in my life and around me don't get how nice a feeling it is finally having income and taking care of these things. My girlfriend's brain doesn't work in the money sorta way (she's fine with money though), the rest of my friends have ridiculous savings/income and or are taken care of by their parents still, and my coworkers are... well... awful with money and stare at me blankly when I ask questions about how our retirement plans work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Thanks for the encouragement. People in my life and around me don't get how nice a feeling it is finally having income and taking care of these things. My girlfriend's brain doesn't work in the money sorta way (she's fine with money though), the rest of my friends have ridiculous savings/income and or are taken care of by their parents still, and my coworkers are... well... awful with money and stare at me blankly when I ask questions about how our retirement plans work.

I’ve found the best success in passing on the understanding of wealth = freedom by talking about tradeoffs and telling stories. To walk around China for a year would cost about 20k (say, $50/day), including airfare. What else does 20k get me? I could buy some things like a new bedroom set and a couple of one-week vacations to a resort and a ski trip. Or I could save that 20k and in a year or two when I have gap in my schedule, I could go to China and have a nice nest egg for finding a job when I get back. It’ll also be a lot easier because I won’t have to store a bedroom set and a ton of stuff I won’t use while I’m there. Not spending that 20k not only lets me spend the money on an incredible experience, but frees me from having to worry about pets and belongings. I don’t know who will watch my BASIL, though. :ohdear:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Screw that I want a tempurpedic.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I managed to avoid eating out yesterday, I think I can do the same today. Right now I'm just looking forward to moving out and getting into my new home. Once everything is settled our monthly savings will be over $500 at a minimum. We're saving about 70% on the mortgage/escrow but the HOA brings us closer to 50-60% The HOA also covers our old water/sewer/trash pickup bills as far as I know.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Why didn't you just not eat? Are you a slave to food???

I know, right? Every other day it's food, food, food.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I made the mistake of listening to Dave Ramsey's radio show this week. Also the finance related commercials on conservative talk radio are loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

THE RED MENACE posted:

I made the mistake of listening to Dave Ramsey's radio show this week. Also the finance related commercials on conservative talk radio are loving hilarious.

Go on....