Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Didn't eat out yesterday. Today was payday, and the most exciting purchase on each payday? Roth IRA contribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just paid $28.17 for three beers at the airport.... The sad part is it will get worse in Vegas.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

*Yankee doodle dandy plays in the background*

Well fellow patriot, have you ever considered an all gold portfolio?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

THE RED MENACE posted:

*Yankee doodle dandy plays in the background*

Well fellow patriot, have you ever considered an all gold portfolio?

Lol fantastic.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I've got to pay for an exam, a new passport, and customs charges for stuff I'm importing all on the same day! I now have nothing in my current account, having to dip into savings. Whoops.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I've got to pay for an exam, a new passport, and customs charges for stuff I'm importing all on the same day! I now have nothing in my current account, having to dip into savings. Whoops.

Did you set up your YNAB yet?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

What are you importing? :allears:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I also got paid today and I've been under my calorie limit each day this week and lost 2.6lbs since Monday :toot:

I've always said that budgeting and dieting basically the same thing, I'm good at being stingy spending money but not stingy with the food rammed down my gullet.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Juanito posted:

What are you importing? :allears:

In all seriousness, some airsoft-related products. Toy weapon accessories. Going to sell them to people for :10bux:

I only had to pay £90 which wasn't too bad. I think they actually undercharged me on the value.

Veskit posted:

Did you set up your YNAB yet?

Not yet! I've been meaning to PM you :)

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 21, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

spwrozek posted:

Just paid $28.17 for three beers at the airport.... The sad part is it will get worse in Vegas.
worth it. I love Vegas, one of the only US cities that feels substantially different from other US cities. Even going to a Starbucks there feels weird.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it bad that I'm considering moving into an apartment-share with someone for $180/month because I'll save like $3500/year instead of staying at my current apartment?

I know I'll give up my privacy, but...$3500!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You'll have a bedroom won't you?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Not yet! I've been meaning to PM you :)

You can do that, but there's a thread for YNAB, and there's also the budgeting thread for budget theories. Really just go get in what you can ASAP and sign up for a ynab class if they're around. They're really helpful. Also seriously go set it up we'll figure it out. Getting it rolling is the hardest part and after that it's smooth sailing.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

EugeneJ posted:

Is it bad that I'm considering moving into an apartment-share with someone for $180/month because I'll save like $3500/year instead of staying at my current apartment?

I know I'll give up my privacy, but...$3500!
Completely depends on the roommates. There are some people not worth living for, regardless of the savings, because it'll be a lovely situation, and then you'll be stressed out over stupid drama and never looking forward to going home.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You'll have a bedroom won't you?

Of course, but have to share bathroom/kitchen/common area.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I was roommates with my two cousins who I'm awesome friends with. One of them was going through some "drama" in his life, and ignored/ didn't speak to his younger brother for about 6 months, it was an incredibly lovely/stressful situation to be living in the middle of while I was trying to go to school.

They're mature grownups now, and all better.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lol the tenant ran off with the key today and wouldn't let any repair people in so now the sellers have to negotiate with me again because they won't get the work done before closing.

Why I agreed to buy a house with a tenant in it was beyond dumb but at thankfully I was lucky and things worked out this time. Now I'm going to force them to do a lot of things (including paying for another inspector of my choosing) before I close.

Lessons learned. Too bad I actually want this house because I could probably go further but risk losing it.

edit: Time to dig in the mini fridge and get something to eat.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 21, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Sounds like the kind of tenant that runs off with all the copper plumbing in the house, and dumps a bunch of cement down the drain..

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
As part of my ongoing flirtation with injuries and ailments, I had to have a bunch of dental care done and I dislocated my finger and had to go to the hospital.

So I went to the non emergency trauma clinic and had them inspect my finger after it had been set on the spot by my phys ed professor. All good.

And I paid the dental bills (~170 after student insurance so far) out of pocket while we sort out my dental coverage through the military.

Today, we got a cheque from the dental insurance company, $330! Awesome!

And we got a bill for the clinic, which turns out to be private. $287. What the gently caress, Alberta?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I've found that scouting out UrgentCare centers and what they charge/if they accept your insurance ahead of time saves *a lot* of hassle when you're in need of one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Yeah I've found that scouting out UrgentCare centers and what they charge/if they accept your insurance ahead of time saves *a lot* of hassle when you're in need of one.

I had no idea that such a thing even existed in Canada. I mean, I know healthcare is provincial but I've never seen a private clinic before and there was no mention of a fee when I was there.

I imagined like a McDonald's menu of procedures above triage. Yeah, I'll have an X-ray please. No I don't want to upsize to an MRI, it's just a dislocated finger.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Juanito posted:

Sounds like the kind of tenant that runs off with all the copper plumbing in the house, and dumps a bunch of cement down the drain..

Yeah, that was the sudden realization I had when I found out about it, so I really lucked out.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
I didn't have to pay for any of my work lunches this week :woop: but then went and ate out at a taqueria tonight because I was jonesing for a crispy taco :saddowns:

One step forward, two steps back. Such is life when you love tacos :(

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
I've finally saved up enough money to live off of last month's paychecks! :toot:

Now I get to learn how to budget correctly because it will be a weird transition from living week-to-week to living month-to-month (I get paid weekly).

I'm hoping that doing the month-to-month thing will make it easier to save/pay down student loans. I'm just worried I'll fall into a trap in the 4th week of each month "Oh, I get paid next week, I can go a little over..." :ohdear:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Going to a restaurant on the weekend feels much better when I haven't eat out all week.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Would there be an audience for personal finance/frugality challenge threads? Like, "Commute by bike for April" or "Buy nothing new May"?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are you master of your domain?

I'm out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are you master of your domain?

I'm out.

Well I did a couple of those in my debt thread just to get to know my relationship with money better. Each one was a really good experience.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Would there be an audience for personal finance/frugality challenge threads? Like, "Commute by bike for April" or "Buy nothing new May"?

Hell yes. Do this

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

tuyop posted:

I'd be up for some fun challenges. Only thing with commuting by bike is that a lot of people don't commute at all or couldn't bike..

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

Juanito posted:

I'd be up for some fun challenges. Only thing with commuting by bike is that a lot of people don't commute at all or couldn't bike..

The "buy nothing new" for a month challenge would be fun. :)

There'd have to be exceptions for things that are necessities. And you'd have to be pretty honest with yourself what a necessity is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The bike thing could be "bike or use transit or carpool". Driving yourself to work is a pretty big luxury that's taken completely for granted as necessary for most people.

Nether Postlude posted:

There'd have to be exceptions for things that are necessities. And you'd have to be pretty honest with yourself what a necessity is.

Yeah my rules were:

Consumables are not new things. You can buy eggs.
If a thing breaks, you can replace or repair it. Get a used thing if possible, but you probably need that thing.
Used things that don't replace something count as new things.

Basically, just don't buy anything that you don't eat, drink, or burn (in your car) for a month.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Nether Postlude posted:

I think we can all agree that the best part of the challenge will be arguing about the details.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

E:Nevermind

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Juanito posted:

I think we can all agree that the best part of the challenge will be arguing about the details.

As with everything.

edit: never mind the stuff about my cable.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 23, 2014

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

I like the idea but as a boring old married guy who already carpools to work with his wife, I don't know that there are going to be many challenges I won't fail miserably at.

Eating oatmeal at my desk this morning, sandwich packed from home for lunch. 5 lbs lost in my first week of counting calories :toot:

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

dreesemonkey posted:

I like the idea but as a boring old married guy who already carpools to work with his wife, I don't know that there are going to be many challenges I won't fail miserably at.

Eating oatmeal at my desk this morning, sandwich packed from home for lunch. 5 lbs lost in my first week of counting calories :toot:

I saw this on extreme cheapskates, but doing a week where you spend no money at all would be a neat challenge. It'd also help clean out your freezer and pantry.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

So you ate at a 2500 calorie deficit per day for a week*? You should probably rethink this diet plan.

* 1lb of fat is ~3500 calories.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I would imagine(hope) some of that is water weight, as counting calories often comes with reduced alcohol intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea I think some of that was water weight this morning, I was a little dehydrated so it's probably closer to 3-4 lbs for the week.

I don't want to derail too much, but I'm eating around 1600 calories a day. I'm not claiming counting calories is that great dietary wise, but it's simple and effective for me. It's pretty much a food-budget just making myself control my portions, not unlike spending money. And yea, I have a bunch of beer Nail Rat and I've only allowed myself a few over the last week.

I'm eating so few calories because I'm an office drone and hardly get any exercise, seriously I sit at my freaking desk all day (I've been doing 2 mile walks a few times a week just to get out of the office). I know it's not much food but I do feel better and more energetic during the day. I've been trying to ride my bike on my trainer some evenings but I just got a flat on the bike so I need to repair that before I can continue (tire lever recommendations?). To continue the excuse train I have a toddler and home renovation projects going on so free time is pretty limited as well.

For reference I'm 5'8" and started at 175.8 lbs last monday (171.6 today), so I'm not horribly overweight. I'd like to get down to around 160-165. Ideally when the weather changes and I'm done with my home renovations we're planning on walking more often at home, I want to get out on my bike, and I might start P90X3 or something for some semblance of strength training.

Sorry for the derail, I don't feel that I'm wasting away yous guys and I certainly feel better than cramming my face with food all the time. It's just hard to find time to exercise proper :(