Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motronic posted:

As an already-cap-hitter, I completely and totally agree. It's complete bullshit, which I assume got lobbied for by boomers.

Nope, SS income tax was always capped. The wage base rises significantly faster than inflation though, think of it as repealing the cap on in the installment plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Unfortunately, the capped tax and capped payout were necessary to fool people into thinking that it was a forced savings plan, which it emphatically is not. Live by your marketing and die by it too.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I know, right. Obviously he shouldn't have to pay principal since you get to keep it, and just split the ITI with you.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

You don't need to open a separate account, and if this is just a one-off temporary thing, I wouldn't bother.

You will report this income on schedule E at tax time. Make sure you keep good records of all your property related expenses as you will be able to apportion some to the rental income and write it off.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Semi-Protato posted:

Is there a thread or any good places to look for how to navigate marriage financially? Ms. Protato and I are tying the knot and we're middle aged professionals getting married for the first time, so we have retirement accounts, real estate, savings, and other similar assets and are looking for some help or someone to bounce poo poo off of. Is there a financial advisor worth a poo poo that will actually advise and not try to sell us on moving our investments to their banks? Or are we fine going to our bank and talking things through with any old banker?

What are you trying to accomplish? Efficient combining of accounts? Keeping premarital assets separate? Something else?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

And you should post in the negotiation thread for help with that slight negotiation.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Weaponized Autism posted:

I feel like I need to talk to both an immigration attorney AND a tax professional on this one.

You absolutely do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Are there any resources/templates for doing a university scholarship thing

My cousin is a teacher at a moderately rural high school in Texas and I guess one year of tuition is about $12,000 at state school UT Austin

After donating some money to their HS band program, that got me thinking, I was thinking about doing like a $1000 scholarship for seniors at that school

Is there any kind of legal liability or, whatever. I know nothing about this. Based on Reddit it sounds like $1000 is still fine that's like, 1/10th of a year of tuition

You can just hand out a grand to a kid if you like. There's no tax liability, but you can't deduct it.

It would be more tax efficient to find an existing 501c3 that will let you endow a scholarship fund and have a say in where it goes.