Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds atrocious. I haven't gotten that yet. I don't do any recurring transfers so who knows.

Their money market account is 1.2%. Buyer beware.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why buyer beware? I've got almost all my short-term savings in Capital One 360 accounts, and will probably move them to either the 360 MM fund or Ally since the rate is better. Feels like it would be easier to just keep it at Capital One vs a new bank, but I can be convinced to move it if there's a compelling reason.

The new website design is pretty bad, I agree, not sure it's so annoying that I'd want to change banks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Going back to the online savings account chat, I found a couple banks with better rates than Ally, and was about to sign up with Synchrony Bank since I've already got a couple of their branded store credit cards, when I found this: https://www.discover.com/online-banking/savings-lng-04/?cmpgnid=affl-bk-offer&src=HMB1017&TPR=057&van=Dbank

Discover has an online savings account with 1.20% APY, but if you sign up before 10/31/17, and deposit $15k or more, you get a bonus $150. Or, if you deposit $20k, a $200 bonus. For whatever reason their website puked while I tried to sign up and I ended up having to call to open the account, for an extra $200 I'll park my cash here for a while before I consider jumping to one of the banks offering 1.30% or better.

RIP ING, I shouldn't feel sentimental about leaving a bank but I still miss the good old times back in the mid-00's with their 5% APY online savings accounts and generous referral bonuses.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

spwrozek posted:

Ally up to 1.35%, keep the good times rolling.

Just checked and it's 1.45% now! Guess I'm finally going to open an account.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HamsterPolice posted:

How hosed would I be if I quit my job without another job lined up? I hate my current job and have enough savings to survive. The idea would be to use the new time from not working to applying and interviewing for jobs since it's really hard right now to juggle both my job and interviewing. I keep having to take vacation days for instance.

edit: sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in.

Don't do it. You'll hate burning through your emergency savings and not having health insurance/paying out the rear end for COBRA even more than you hate your job. I've been on both sides of that equation (just recently got a new job, left a job I hated and a boss who was abusive), and not having a job while desperately searching for one was by far the most stressful time of my life. I say use up your vacation time or abuse sick time if you need to to go to interviews, send out resumes on the clock if you can.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

zaurg posted:

2002 Saturn SC2 and just hit 53k miles

Car wouldn't start again this morning despite driving it for 30 mins last night after getting a jump. Got a jump this morning, drove to the shop, and won't start again for the mechanic. So Trying to get a new battery today, should still be under warranty, current Delco battery is less than 1 year old.

KBB says this car is maybe worth $2500 if it's in very good condition (sounds like it's not), and you sell to a private party for cash. Otherwise, dealer trade-in value is closer to $1500 (again, assuming very good condition). Sell it, take the money from that and what were going to spend on the new transmission, and go buy a used car that isn't made by GM.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Applied for a mortgage pre-approval with Quicken today, and they tell me that I qualify for a loan 5.5x my base annual salary, with a monthly payment that is 62% of my net take home.

:wtc:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah I guess the common advice is housing expense should be max 30% of your gross pay, which imho max 30% of net seems more reasonable. (Confession: I have to google the difference in gross and net almost every time I need to reference it :downs:)

The Quicken loan rates still comes out to 43% of my gross monthly pay which I find ridiculous. Currently looking to buy something that would give me an all-in payment at or less than 16% of my gross/23% of net.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

For new AND existing Ally bank customers, they are offering a 1% bonus on cash moved to Ally (up to $1k), but you have to opt in before the 21st: https://allypaybacktime.com/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mocking Bird posted:

Can someone reassure me that it's ok to spend $$$ on professional movers? I hate to pay for it after going broke on deposit/some overlapping rent/utility deposits, but otherwise it will be me, my medically disabled partner, and my 55 year old dad doing all the heavy lifting.

Self move: $200-300 truck and accessories
Movers: $800-900

I've finally had credit cards at zero for a decent stretch and I can probably hustle together the cash, but man, ouch.

Moving is a miserable experience, paying movers is 100000% worth it and I strongly recommend it.

If you want to cheap out a bit, check out Uhaul's Moving Help site: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp/. You can read reviews and see what the per-hour rate is for everyone, I've done this every time I've moved apartments (which is too many loving times) and never had a bad experience. Rent your own truck, then get the movers to load/unload it for you, or have them pack your boxed AND load it, most will even drive the truck for you if you want. Last couple times I've used MovingHelp I probably paid <=$300, plus tip.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Couch chat: anyone own an Ikea Kivik, chaise version? I need a new sofa when I move soon-ish and really like the look (and price!) of this, but have read a few reviews that say the cushion in the chaise portion is a different material than the rest of the sofa and seems to wear out a lot faster. I could just pick up the regular 3-seater plus an ottoman if that is the case, but really want the chaise part of it if it doesn't suck.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Robinhood is launching a new banking service, with a 3% APY interest-bearing checking and savings account. I've gotta wait for my Ally bonus money in January before I can potentially take advantage of this, but I did sign up for the wait list. Here is my referral link: https://share.robinhood.com/cs-VwhkhmVuDvLguCVuriQaLa (or here if you'd prefer a non-referral link)

This actually looks like a terrible idea, don't sign up for this service. See more here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-14/sipc-says-it-has-serious-concerns-about-robinhood-s-new-product

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 14, 2018

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

FDIC insured? I'm tempted.

Apparently no but it will be SIPC insured. Found more info on this: https://www.investopedia.com/investing/is-robinhood-safe/

I added myself to the wait list, not sure I'll actually pull the trigger when it's available. Their app had a major outage yesterday and there are a ton of pissed off users in r/robinhood right now which doesn't bode well for me.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-14/sipc-says-it-has-serious-concerns-about-robinhood-s-new-product

quote:

SIPC Says It Has Serious Concerns About Robinhood's New Product

The Securities Investor Protection Corp. said a new checking account from Robinhood Financial LLC raises red flags and that the deposited funds may not be eligible for protection.

Robinhood, a no-fee stock trading app, rolled out its take on the traditional bank account Thursday, promising a 3 percent interest rate on deposits. The Checking & Savings service will be run through the firm’s brokerage arm rather than a bank, which would be insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Robinhood said the service will be insured by the SIPC.

“I disagree with the statement that these funds are protected by SIPC,” Stephen Harbeck, president and chief executive officer of SIPC, said in an interview Friday. “Had they called us, I would have told them what I just told you in that I have serious concerns about this. This has gigantic ramifications for the banking industry.”

Welp!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Joined a new gym last year and it's really a pretty nice place, class sizes are very small and all the equipment is brand new. I know all the owners at this point, and it has a real family vibe when you go in.

Today I got an email that is a "reminder" about an annual 'maintenance fee' that they are going to charge everyone in June- $69. This has literally never been communicated to anyone, is not in any documentation I received when I singed up, and isn't on their website at all. Trying to decide how much of a stink I should make about this. It's not enough to leave the place over but, what the hell you can't just spring a $70 bill on people and pretend like everyone already knew it was coming.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I didn't even have a debit card until Chase got rid of their ATM-only cards and made them debit as well. :argh: Chase

However, that still didn't stop someone from stealing my ATM-only card number one time to pay their Comcast bill. Since I only ever used the thing on Chase ATMs, there was either a skimmer set up somewhere and I didn't notice it, or a random number generator got lucky.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have accounts with both Ally and Discover and they are pretty comparable. They have been keeping pace on interest rates for a while, so expect to see Discover up to 2.2% soon. Ally does do bonuses from time to time (they recently did a 1% cashback up to $1k for all new money added to your account), so imho I would open an account with Discover for the free $200, move over all your cash, then wait for an Ally deal and eventually transition there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you are looking to get into IT and are already living in Madison/Verona, you should throw your resume at Epic. They are always hiring and take people from all kinds of backgrounds. Training experience would be a plus here as well.

Edit: didn't re-read your original post. Epic does have remote locations/sends people out to work full time at customer locations. Still might not hurt to apply.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Four years after applying, my friend just told me he got his free tuna voucher from that Sunkist price fixing class action lawsuit in the mail. $5.03 in free tuna.

I missed out on that LCD panel class action from years back that paid out hundreds of dollars, but it's this goddamn free tuna one that I am still mad about. WHERE'S MY FREE TUNA, SUNKIST?? I'M STILL WAITING :argh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:woop::woop::woop:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You should absolutely freeze at all three bureaus.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You might want to cross post to the Working in IT thread, you might get more/better engagement there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pro-tip: Ally has a 11 month no-penalty CD with 1.85% APY if you deposit $5k or more. 1.65% if less than $5k. Both are still better than their current savings account rate of 1.6%. If you've got anything hanging out in an Ally savings there is 0 reason not to move it over to the CD.

The 3yr CD I opened with them last week at 2.05% is now 1.75%, so I would expect these rates are gonna drop any time now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AnnualCreditReport.com is not a credit monitoring service. It's just a site that will let you pull your credit report directly from the three credit reporting bureaus. Credit Karma only pulls data from two of them (TransUnion and Equifax). It's good practice to pull your credit report from each agency at least once a year just to make sure they are all consistent. You'll also be able to see additional info that Credit Karma wont tell you, like what addresses and contact info is on file for you, dates accounts were opened and closed, soft inquiries, comments on accounts, etc. If you find anything that is incorrect it could be a mistake, or it could be a sign of identity theft. Either way you'll want to get it corrected ASAP.

Edit: I use Credit Karma too (along with another paid service, thanks to the OPM!) and appreciate the alerts, but I don't consider it a substitute for checking my full credit report(s) regularly.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 22, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^ lol

Yeah I've always just signed and scanned, never filled out the memo field either.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Marman1209 posted:

Anyone ever have luck getting a bank you don’t have an account with to cash out paper EE bonds? I’m getting a lot of nos from branches so far.

My wife has a stack of them and neither of our credit unions do it, and I’m hesitant to mail them in to treasury if I don’t have to.

I don't know where you are but I cashed in some at a Chase bank a year or so ago, they seem to be just about everywhere in the US, maybe open a new account for this and then just close it soon afterward? Plenty of big name banks will even give you a couple hundred bucks to open a new account these days.

Edit: in fact here's a list of current account opening bonus offers: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Im guessing I cant make transfers to my Ally savings account right now because they're getting hammered with all of this GME activity? Fun times!

It is working for me now, but I couldn't access my Ally savings accounts this morning either.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Beach Bum posted:

I've just finished slaying a debt monster and very shortly I'm going to have $10k floating around for an e-fund doing nothing. At my current rate of expenditure my base monthly expenses run about $2k, so I've got a decent safety, but like, what do I do with the money? Regular savings accounts are a joke, HYSAs have absolutely tanked in the last couple years, and I'm extremely wary of opening any sort of investment account for funding that should be readily liquid and available, but that seems like the only mechanism for growing money while keeping it in a somewhat liquid vehicle.

Some of the articles I've read suggest just that (investment accounts) because of credit cards. I do have a 14k limit on my primary card and another 15k or so between the BT and Amazon cards, so I suppose I could feasibly throw any sort of unexpected expense on card and then withdraw the same from the investment account? I gather I would choose a fairly low-risk fund for investment so some "market adjustment" doesn't poof't my E-fund.

Edit: I forgot about Money Market accounts, I'm going to go look through what I have available right quick and see if it's worth it.

You should keep your emergency fund liquid. I have moved mine into an HM Bradley account which is (currently) earning 3% APY. There are some quirky requirements to get that amount but the tl;dr is you have to direct deposit some amount of cash into the account every month, and you can't withdraw more than 80% of what you deposit. If you are interested I could send you a referral code which would get you started right at their tier 1 savings rate which is 3%, otherwise you'll have to wait to get into that tier in the next quarter. The referral doesn't net me anything btw.

More details: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-bank-account-promises-3-apy-savings-rate-when-you-save-your-paycheck-hmbradley/

Edit: Doctor of Credit has a list of all bank accounts with bonuses and high interest rates, there may be one there with an offer that works better for your situation.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 13, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I Love Topanga posted:

How do they know whether I'm depositing 20% or not in their accounts?

You just have to keep 20% of your total deposits for the quarter in the account to qualify for their top tier. So if you direct deposit $1k every month you'll have $3k in the quarter, they don't want you to withdraw more than $2400.

I personally am able to split my direct deposits so I just have a DD set up for $100/mo into this account, and then I manually moved a bunch of cash from another account into it. I have enough cash in other accounts that I am essentially parking money here with no intention of withdrawing it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

QuarkJets posted:

Looking to open up a new savings account, who does BFC recommend these days?

If you are just looking for a place to park some money, HM Bradley has a 3% APY option right now but you need a direct deposit (of any amount) and basically can't take cash out. There is a bit of fine print, you should read about it all here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/new-bank-account-promises-3-apy-savings-rate-when-you-save-your-paycheck-hmbradley/

It's currently invite only but I could send one via email or PM. I've been using it for about 6mo now though, no complaints.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread or not but meh

So my wife just got hit by unemployment fraud. Got a notice a few weeks ago with a "summary of benefits," meaning someone has started the process. And apparently this state is one of the easiest to file fraudulent unemployment claims in.

She's already reported this to the federal (FTC/DOJ) and state authorities (NC DES), checked and frozen her credit reports, and her employer has reached out to her to coordinate as well. Only thing I know she hasn't done yet is to file a police report.

So what other steps need to be taken here? She's taking precautions and changing passwords for e-mail and banks. But I guess I'm not sure what else needs to be done? Nothing else obvious has come up... I'm sure the credit freezes will take care of near future stuff, but I don't know if there's anything to watch out for or if these incidents are generally isolated to unemployment.

She needs to file a police report because this will enable her to enroll in the 7yr long credit alert. The alert is different from the freeze. I would probably also consider some kind of credit monitoring, even if it's just something free like Credit Karma. Set up multifactor authentication on any bank that has it as an option, this is more important than changing the passwords imho.

I've been through this too and it was mostly a bunch of my time wasted going to a police station, filling an affidavit in person with the unemployment agency, calling a bunch of banks, etc.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you can direct deposit $5k in a 30 day period, there is a SoFi account bonus available right now for $300 that might be less hassle for you: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sofi-checking-5000-direct-deposit-required/

Edit: Oh this one is even better (I forgot about it since I already have a Chase account): $300 bonus if you open an account and direct deposit any amount within 90 days: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-600-checking-savings-bonus/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That commercial is kinda lovely and mean spirited but no it's not a Hereditary reference. In Hereditary the kid is sticking her head out the side window and gets it knocked off by a telephone pole.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mysteryberto posted:

US bank refused to cash two 30 year old EE Bonds to me today. They said it was their policy which may change December 8th. It was only for about $200 redemption value.

https://www.usbank.com/customer-service/knowledge-base/KB0209712.html

As a long time customer I’m pretty annoyed and am considering other banks now. Anyone else had a similar experience. It seems like my only recourse is to mail the bonds in to the treasury.

My local subreddit had a similar thread going about this just yesterday. I can tell you I cashed some EE bonds at a Chase branch a couple years back to add to a home downpayment fund. I was/am a customer of theirs and it was pretty routine. No clue if these places are local to you but I learned from the Reddit thread that Huntington and Citizens Bank will cash bonds for non-customers up to a limit of a couple thousand bucks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

drat Bananas posted:

Uughhhh. Thanks, I’ve forwarded it along.

Make sure all his accounts are also enabled for multi factor authentication. Especially Google, Yahoo, and his bank accounts if possible.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ally has been battling with a massive amount of fraud/account compromise issues over the past couple of weeks (which I'm sure is what prompted that initial email about changing MFA methods). If you're at all on the fence I would probably recommend bailing for SoFi or another similar online bank with a good HYSA rate right now. Ally does not seem to have it's poo poo together.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Unsinkabear posted:

Is there any reason I should not use Synchrony as the HYSA that I shove my emergency savings into and then forget about?

They seem to update the rate regularly, I haven't heard any nightmare stories about their savings accounts (while I have seen a few negative data points about Ally and Marcus on the forums lately), and right now they're the top earner that isn't a sketchy no-name bank or something with complications and/or hoops to jump through each month.

If you're just dumping cash there and never needing to touch it, it's totally fine. I will just share that from my personal experience they have the shittiest web UI and customer service of any bank/credit provider I've ever had to deal with, but most of my ire with them stems from multiple incidents of identity theft where a scammer tried to open a line of credit in my name through Synchrony.

Depending on how much money is in your emergency savings, you may be able to beat the rate Synchrony has now if you go with a bank that has a lower rate but offers a bonus to open an account. Most require you set up direct deposit to qualify for the bonus but not all of them: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank-account-bonuses/

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah I've seen stories about Michigan egg prices across several different platforms in the last week, all talking about how prices have more than doubled and are now averaging about $5/doz due to mass culling of chickens from avian flu. I haven't been to a grocery store in a minute so I'm not sure if we're seeing shortages in addition to the price hikes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Looks like a dozen eggs is $4.39/doz at my usual mid-range supermarket location (Meijers). They were $3.29/doz last time I bought some, on December 2. On New Year's Day they were $5.29/doz.

tl;dr egg prices, a study in regional volatility

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 7, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Capital One has an 11mo CD at 5% deal that expires on the 14th if you're able to park that money for a while. Otherwise, SoFi offers 3.75% on their savings accounts. You can probably find something even better here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/high-interest-savings-to-get/

It's probably more worth it to open a new account somewhere that gives you a bonus of a couple hundred bucks, as moving to a new HYSA that's only a fraction of a percent higher than what you're earning now is only gonna net you a few bucks annually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Unsinkabear posted:

If you're going to go the CD route and it's semi e-fund money, Ally might still have their 5% CD that you can cancel at any time and only lose two months interest. I think Ally is largely overrated, but that particular offering is a tempting solution even to me

The no-penalty CD with Ally is currently at 4%.