Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
So if you’re FDIC insured up to $250k, what happens if you have retirement accounts over that? I don’t, but hypothetically let’s say I had $300k in a Roth IRA in Fidelity. Should you split it in half and take $150k to Vanguard or somewhere else? Do people really do that, like if you were getting close to retirement and had $1m+ of investments, it would be split among 4 or 5 banks? What if it was an employer 401k where you may not be able to choose the bank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don’t know anything but what I’ve googled, but it looks like a bunch of retirement account types including Roth IRAs are FDIC insured

https://www.fdic.gov/resources/deposit-insurance/diguidebankers/certain-retirement/index.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have “good” insurance, but a trip to the ER with covid-related heart pain still cost me north of $1k :shepface:

Verdict was “yeah it just happens sometimes, we dunno, nothing to be done”

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Just in case it’s crossing her mind, structuring deposits is itself a felony and you will get caught, so be sure she doesn’t try that

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
One thing to consider is that while in retirement you might not need all the latest gadgets or kid supplies, medical expenses can be pretty killer. I also always heard that your expenses go way down just due to not having to work — stuff like not needing office clothes or lunches — but wfh has shown me it’s not that huge a difference.

What are you invested in? The market overall hasn’t been so bad (unless you bought everything in Nov 2021 ig) — here’s the last three years for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 17, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ymmv but I went with a brokerage account buying USFR instead because of this tl;dr post. Like it says, this is not for long-term and won’t be ideal if interest rates go low again, but it seems like a very good expected rate with minimal hassle for now.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
94% retirement
3% emergency fund
3% cash

oops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

how are you guys pulling those numbers.. do you already have all your assets in a spreadsheet.. should i be doing that..?

i was actually going to bring this up since i haven't done this yet..
I don’t brain that much (obviously) but I only have 3 accounts, so I just added 3 numbers and divided over the total. I also rounded for easier math due to not taking :justpost: that seriously. I definitely do not gently caress with any manual spreadsheets

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 21, 2024