Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Paying off my credit card debt this month. Now onto student loans. Also going to buy a car in cash. Thank you BFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

dreesemonkey posted:

Do not buy a smart car, they are pretty crappy.

Google smart car versus semi and thats why you don't buy a smart car.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Cicero posted:

Anyone used Simple? I just set up an account because I'd heard good press and it sounded like a cool idea, but after reading this review on Slate, it sounds like you really need to use their debit card as your main purchasing mechanism to get the most out of it. Is that right? That'd be kind of a bummer since that would mean losing out on credit card rewards.

Downfall for them for me is limited ATM access and no reimbursement for out of network fees like Ally. I still go to bars that use cash along with concerts. I just use two checking accounts. One for bills that I put all the needed money into that doesn't have a debit card connected to it (cause I cut it up) and the rest is fun money/savings.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 14, 2014

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So ally used to be great at phone support, but I’m looking at 1hr to being hung up on calls trying to get someone on the phone. Our debit card got skimmed and there’s $234 of pending transactions. We can’t even cancel and order new cards bc they require calling. This is day two of trying to get ahold of anyone.

Anyone else dealing with Ally? I’m wondering if there was a breach or if they’re also feeling the labor shortage.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
That’s what it felt like, thanks for the info.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Context I went from 40k debt in 2019 to having about 120,000 in various investments and cash. So enough to coast on my current expenses for 2.5 years. I was also fired from an internship in college which really scared/scarred me.

I think at this point I’m ready to take a sabbatical from my job or also quit if they won’t support me recovering from burnout. I don’t know if I’d go back to that company, my new boss is great and that’s about it other than riding the last 8 months of my IPO vestment and hopefully getting about 15k more. There’s some real structural issues at the top that are making it hard to want to hang around.

I’m working as a senior product designer with a product used by millions daily. It’s e-commerce and I’ve basically been lead on the product for 3.5 years. I have 10 years in design + technology.

Eventually I’m contemplating being in consulting part time and turning my current pottery hobby into something self supportive. This is just a general 5 year dream as I know I’m not ready for that leap yet.

It’s just I’m absolutely terrified of not working for several months which in this economy is laughable. I live with my partner who has been encouraging me to leave for the past year and also is FI and working. So I guess I could use some hype? A big push? I’m mostly afraid of losing any leverage being unemployed.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're talkin about being an individual consultant know that doing such is kind of a pain in the rear end. you've got to find clients and work and then handle a bunch of additional paperwork and poo poo. it's not just "do the job but less and smarter"

This is something I definitely need to explore more. I guess it's more on the "i want to take on projects I want to do", but i'll probably get more enjoyment just by switching to a different industry that isn't focused purely on conversion rates and ARR.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you sound like a fairly high tier talent so i wouldn't worry abut not being able to find work. not sure how old you are but if you are typical goon age (mid 30s now lol, based on your experience you probably are) you're probably a bit behind on your overall savings / retirement prep. still, taking care of yourself comes first and if you take time off to recharge that's a very good use of time and money. i would just have a plan beyond "im gonna take time off" - how long, what you are going to do with the time that will help you recover, what your milestones will be that will trigger looking for work again.

I am 34. Perfectly guessed lol. Need to add I have another ~100k in 401k and Roth. That was a "if poo poo goes completely south I have X amount to keep me afloat" number, including cash, i-bonds and taxable accounts. I have bout 30k in cash with a 10k maturing ibond in November.

Was definitely thinking about 3 to 6 months max. Quit towards the beginning of 2024 after burning some of my refreshed PTO bank.

As for what? I was going to take care of things around the apartment, polish up my portfolio (I don't have the appetite to work on it outside of work) and take my time on finding the right next step. I think my first month with be closer to a retreat sort of deal concentrating on my hobbies, with month 2 being portfolio and resume focus, month 3 I start to put in applications. This should align with beginning of fiscal year recruiting that always ramps in the spring. I know I want to go into something consumer facing, but not ecommerce, I was thinking of something with a positive impact around environmental tech or reducing the amount of cars on the road via car sharing startups like car2go, zipcar and Turo

moana posted:

Are you married to your partner? And are they FI like "$2 million in the bank, living off returns" FI or "they don't depend on anyone else for their expenses" FI? If the former, then go for it, if the latter, then just stop working hard while you interview around/ decide what to do.

He's FI latter. We've been together for 3 years and are not married. We are on good footing and just moved to the west coast from the east coast this summer. Our expenses are separate except for a joint checking and a savings account with about 4k in it for general surprise expenses/fun fund.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 21, 2022

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like you have turned the corner from "debt servicing is an important part of my budget" to basically living the DINK lifestyle. As you can see you start amassing money at a comically high rate this way, and the market going bonkers during covid helped.

First up, it sounds like you have plenty of cash and a supportive partner. Stop working so hard. Seriously. 9-5 and turn off your email.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I have always been good about a hard work life balance and boundaries. I keep slack hidden from my phone, keep work email and calendar from my personal phone and don't work weekends or late. I cried from stress for the last time last year.

I'm on the other side of the burn out train where I just could not care anymore about the work I'm doing + the resting and vesting. I'm doing enough to stay employed but not really leading anymore. My leverage is that we've lost two other designers so it's just me and my new manager in our BU and I have the most knowledge. My work buddy/partner that has been my other half is leaving Friday. Also my manager knows I'm burned out. The vestment riding was worth a whole six figure salary until the stock tanked early this year and again a few months ago. ps. always cash out ASAP. I have some coworkers learning that hard lesson now.

But the thought of jumping and starting a new position in my career at this point? I'm tired. I'll come back because I do enjoy design but I'm jaded for now. Sundays I'm sad/dreading and Monday mornings I'm angry.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m considering a career change, is there a good place to learn more about a CFP career track? I guess the career path thread, but if anyone has any more resources.

I’ve realized all the stuff I have to do land another design job is making me cranky, unhappy and unwilling to do it. I think I’m totally burned out on it. There are things I loved, but I’m pretty done with tech and seems to be the only place to nab a UX job when the tech market isn’t undergoing a correction.

I’m thinking of CFP bc of the growing interest I have in finance, and I like the idea of helping others to set themselves up for a good financial future. Even better if I could use my job knowledge to help people historically underserved. A lot of what I liked about UX design was why people do the things they do and being the person to listen to issues and problem solved for them. I have a first round interview for an entry level financial consultant position on Thursday, so I want to come in with good questions.