Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A few years ago I had a conversation with someone who was a high level quant at one of the big investment banks, and he told me about a project he led to study what sort of products they could offer to wealthy retirees. The main thing they found is that having good insurance is what really made the difference between the people who stayed rich and those who had problems. Of course since the bank didn't offer insurance policies they shelved the project, but the insight's out there at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At minimum, make sure you've got that in something that has decent returns - HYSA, T-Bills, short term fund like SGOV, etc.

Yep. If you have money that you know you won't need in the next year, lock down some returns.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I realized I'm probably going to have a emotional reaction to number goes down as I sell my gigantic pile of T-Bills to pay for a house at some point. I should probably figure out how to deal with that.

In your neck of the woods houses have historically and recently been a pretty strong investment vehicle, so just think of it as rearranging your portfolio.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The CoL calculators are really only good for getting a ballpark idea of how two metro areas compare. If you need specifics, you're going to have to make more detailed comparisons.

I'm sure there are rankings out there but the cost of living in a metro area depends a lot on how you're going to live. Boston vs. Manhattan with a car is pretty different from Boston vs. Manhattan with no car, for instance, and you can probably find bigger disparities with a bit of research.