Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The most I've splurged in the last several months was going on two dates and buying myself an iron and a new file box for all my personal records.

I've hit the wall where all the financial tips in the world won't help me any further. I need to increase my income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

You think this counts as splurging?
In my life? Yes. :v:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I ate at the cafeteria today but it was part of my budget that I allocated at the beginning of the month so I'm happy about it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Losing any more than 1-2 pounds a week, after accounting for like, daily fluctuations because you eat and drink poo poo, is unsustainable.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

On that note, I'm going to seriously look at Ting. I'm using nowhere near enough data to justify paying what I am for Sprint's unlimited data, and this way I could keep my phone! $15-$24/mo(based on my historical usage rates) is a pretty sweet deal. I know I bitched about Sprint's data network(which Ting uses), but it doesn't bug me that much. :v:
If you decide to switch to Ting let me know I'll send you a referral link, it'll get you a $25 credit.

I'll get a $50 credit so clearly this is only out of the good of my heart. :v:

As actual content, I bought some cheap paintings on SA Mart that I liked, decided to actually use some of that money I budgeted for home furnishings, instead of just letting it sit there unused forever.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 25, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Today I had a plum, a boiled egg, and a spicy tuna salad sandwich for lunch.

A lot of you guys in here would fit right in in Work Crew.

Come join us. :unsmigghh:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

loving getting there. Now is when the hard parts start to follow because I don't get special amounts of money anymore. By special I mean I had a 3 paycheck January and a bonus in March. Whatever though gently caress it still proud of my progress. I think I'm going to aim to put 500 toward my credit card bill and get that interest payment down. I'm getting hit for only (gently caress me) 95 dollars a month in interest. I would have posted more money now that I think about it but I helped out with car issues. I'll make it right bfc, right?

:unsmith:

Edit: I just realized this graph kinda lies in that I have 500 stashed away for rent.
:cool::hf::v:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Someday I'l see that light green tint. Someday.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a liter of water in a coleman jug I chug throughout the day.

I bring a lot of fruit to work, and carrot sticks (but more often just a whole carrot I snapped in half and threw in my lunchbox, for I am lazy).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've thought of making a MAME cabinet and renting it out to parties as a way to recoup the cost of constructing it, but yeah, arcades are holes you shovel money into.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Quick tuyop, find some friends and charge them to use your weight set. While they're over upsell them some BASIL.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm proud of myself because just about every shred of overtime I made in the last couple months went to savings.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

I could probably argue that a motorcycle might be a good option assuming this is strictly for pleasure (and you're not adverse to motorcycling)

+ Motorcycle insurance is dirt cheap
+ Motorcycles hold their value very well if you buy used
+ Performance per dollar can't be beat
+ Storage/parking much easier
+ Cool motorcycle guy wave
+ Having owned both motorcycles and a miata, the motorcycle is a better pleasure vehicle in my opinion.

- Upfront cost of gear
- Consumables (tires especially) are proportionally more than a car. But if you're only riding a few thousand miles a year this is negligeable
Motorcycles rule buy a motorcycle and park the car. :cool:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Pretty much exactly that, yes. But since he's so fat he doesn't just eat 8 ounces, or even 16, but usually 32 oz of steak in a sitting.

It's also the sheer quantity of processed garbage as well. That's all expensive stuff.

Oh AND he makes $11 an hour.
:stare:

That's over two thirds of his net pay. On food.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have my credit card on autopay but I inevitably pay off the entire balance every month before it can trigger for some reason.

I think, deep down, I still don't really trust it and like to know for sure it's paid off.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

Tuyop, been meaning to ask how school is coming along for you?

In money news, I just blew a huge amount of money on a new grill for my birthday/father's day gift. Should be here Friday. Pretty excited!

Taste the meat, not the heat.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I used to have AAA for like.... 10 years but I cut my bill by like 60% when I switched to Progressive earlier this year, and got better coverage.

AAA is nice but they are absolutely garbage if you need a tow for a motorcycle, my bike broke down a couple months ago and it took them four hours to get a truck out. The truck driver told me that everyone hates doing tows for AAA for motorcycles because they don't pay for poo poo, and they only got him out to me because they basically gave up and agreed to pay whatever he quoted.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still have roadside assistance, just not with AAA anymore.

I probably used it a couple times a year, last year my chain broke on my bike, and my alternator died in my car when I was a significant distance from the house.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I've only ever had to get a tow by driving down a dirt track ("tank road") in a sporty hatchback after a blizzard. Total cost in ten years of driving for roadside assistance: $100

Roadside assistance seems a lot like those hardware insurance plans like Applecare. They're great if, for whatever reason, you need a lot of help with your poo poo on a regular basis, but are a losing proposition for most people who just get it because they're scared of everything.

I mean, if my car killed itself (more) on the way to some important meeting, I'd just park it and call a cab and deal with it later. I don't know why anyone would wait on the side of a major road for an hour to have their car towed, because obviously at that point you had nowhere vital to be so why do you need your car seen to right now? If you do have somewhere vital to be, it wouldn't make sense to wait for the tow dude when you could just get a cab and add like ten minutes to your trip.

I guess I don't really see the use case for a roadside assistance plan except those few people who get a monthly tow.
Mine costs 10 dollars a year as an addon to my insurance. When I had AAA it was the cost of the membership (like 70 bucks a year) Even at one tow a year (which is likely) you come out ahead. They'll also change tires (if you won't), get you into your car if you lock your keys in it, or bring you gas, if you let that happen

There are no cabs in my area dude, I live in Michigan. The drive to my mom's to visit her is about 50 miles on I-75 each way. I break down halfway there and I can either wait 45 minutes for a tow and get my car taken home or to the shop, or wait probably the same amount of time until someone I know can get to me. And then I still have to deal with my car sitting on the side of the highway.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

A tow a year? I've never had one.
Michigan roads are awful. We have some of the worst roads in the country. Between the absolutely awful roads and the harsh winters, poo poo breaks down here constantly and there's nothing you can do about it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

You can get that discount just by asking for it even if you're not an AAA member like... 75% of the time :ssh:
Nowhere I ever used my AAA discount at asked to see my card.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My uncle was looking into cable plans because the cable at the house was in his ex's name and wanted to get new service since she moved out like a year ago (sheesh) and I managed to convince him to both buy a modem instead of rent one, and not to even bother with cable instead of buying the ultra expensive plan he was looking at. Small victories.

I've seen the guy watch like 10 hours of cable in the last year, and he was looking at the premium packages :confused:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you were in my area I'd come play on your sportsball team GAYS FOR DAYS.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting my wisdom teeth at the end of this month, so I was thinkin, hey, the cost of the procedure will fill out the required amount on a new chase freedom, so I can grab that and bam, 200 bucks to help pay for it.

Instantly approved and I've basically doubled by available credit limit. Aw yea. :smugdog:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
4) Cars are lame ride a motorcycle and embrace the everpresent possibility of death. :black101:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: Anyone else having issues checking mint this morning?
so radium works for mint now?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Got a new, better job!!

Yay.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's still helpdesk, but more focused for a smaller company. This place that sells automated kiosks for like, workplace snack bars and poo poo. But it starts at 36k a year, which is 6k more than I'm making now.

After I accepted the job offer and posted earlier I got a call and another interview tomorrow with Comcast Spotlight and during the phone interview earlier they said they could beat that job offer. So I'm goin in for an interview tomorrow morning before I go to the recruiter for the first job to sign paperwork. I guess this is like monitoring and reporting on their tv ad insertion. I'm kinda iffy on it but I'm gonna hear them out. Both places run 24/7 so either can potentially have crap hours but The Comcast gig would be 4-10s.

When it rains it pours, I guess.

Only crap thing is my employer match on my 401k contributions hasn't vested yet, so I'm losing like a grand and a half. It's not a lot in the long run and the higher pay more than makes up for it.

But anyway, I finally did it, I've been saying for a while that I've basically budgeted as hard as I can already and what I really needed was more income, and now I've got more income. Super psyched but I'm also not looking forward to putting in my 2-week notice. I just know it's gonna be a big thing at work because I'm on a small team. But gently caress it, it's always gonna be bad timing for my company, they'll just have to deal with losing me.

Maybe if they still weren't dragging their heels on getting me the raise I was promised six months ago I wouldn't have been looking for a new job so hard.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 19, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I interviewed with Comcast and while it sounded nice, my recruiter (who has contractors working at the same position I was interviewing for) convinced me into taking the job I accepted on Wednesday.

I pretty much agreed with him that there was a lot better opportunity for growth at the small, growing company, and I'd be learning a lot more skills that would be leverage-able into future jobs if I decided I wanted to go somewhere else.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Naw man I budgeted for the sale in advance!!! :shepspends:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So BFC I'm gonna have like... I dunno, 4 grand more in net income over the next year compared to my last year. Which is significant for me.

Everyone pick a BFC superstar and give me "advice" as if you were them.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I might consider a yurt but I'd build an actual bathroom in it, I'm not making GBS threads in a bucket.

Some of my interests actually align with tuyop's. hosed up but true.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

A 4k yurt is only going to be like 100sq feet, so it might work as a shed or absurd car port. The total cost is probably more like 5k, though, in which case you could just get a prefab 10x10 shed for <2k.

And the beauty of the composting toilet is that you don't have to spend like 30k on some other solution, just $60 worth of... Materials. And you save on compost forever. :colbert:
I'm sorry. A bucket with sawdust in it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
They are working on both a web version and an ipad version. They seem to be on Valve time in that dev cycle though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Great news! I had a little chat with my boss's boss's boss on Monday, he was trying to convince me to stay. I was polite but of course he did not convince me.

But! He said at the end of our meeting that since he has to do workforce reduction anyway he's going to put me on the list and try to get me laid off, since it will help him to not have to fire someone else. I might get severance pay for quitting! :lol:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh goodness I start my new job in three hours.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Would you be interested in being the middle-"man" on some international transactions?

For example, Amazon.com has great prices and selection on grow lights that aren't available on .ca, could I pay you to order the lights and ship them along to me? There's no reason AFAIK why that would be a problem with customs.

I know that I'd stand to save like 50% of the value of the light so marking it up 25% not including shipping would still leave me with a pretty sweet deal. And there are tons of products like that.

Do it. Help tuyop grow BASIL.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Great news!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So, update:

I put in my two week notice at my old job at the end of June. The following week I have a meeting with the big boss of the building who says he's gonna put me on the workforce reduction plan and I haven't heard much about it since then.

Today I get a call from my old boss telling me that there's some kind of layoff period where you get to try to find a new job with the company (lol) and at the end of it, which will be around the 24th, is my termination date, after which I will "receive payment for an amount equivalent to 60 days of your base pay and 60 days of benefits."

And I loving quit my job. Work Crew success story?

:woop:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
BFC, for the first time in my life I literally have more money than I know what to do with.

I've brought in over four grand more this month than I normally do, due to this ridiculous situation where I quit my job and got severance.
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Are you maxing IRA and 401k? Fully-funded emergency fund?

Then it's hookers or taxable account time!

lol no this is mostly going towards my private student loan.