Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Quick question, looking for an opinion.

My neighbor and I share a portion of a sewer line that runs on my property, but neither of us knew we shared it until May 2016.
I had work done on the shared portion back on Dec 2015, which affected my neighbor's connection.
May 2016, my neighbor excavates his line and discovers it runs through my property. I allow the access and the work, since I'm reasonable and my yard can't look much worse. The plumbing company reconnects his line to mine free of charge, warranty work, and we again share the line to the city sewer. The city was OKs the connection since it was pre-existing, not new construction.

We have no current agreement about maintenance of his sewer line on my property, nor maintenance of the shared portion on my property. I've consulted a lawyer about drafting something up. Meanwhile, I've already paid the mid $four-figure amount for the work done back on Dec 2015. I ask my neighbor if he will split the cost for the work done back on Dec 2015 for the line we share, he says "No, I'm not going to pay for that."

Do I have any basis to sue? He rents the house out, so I'm not worried about creating bad blood. I'm looking for about $2.5k tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
That makes sense. I'm still going to pursue drawing up a maintenance agreement, I doubt I'd be able to sell my house without it. I guess I should look at selling my neighbor an easement for the portion of my property his line runs though before the Y.

I'll be talking to a lawyer this week or next, just trying to get an informal opinion.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If it was built that way a long time ago and is a utility conduit he probably isn't going to pay you money for an easement either, but yeah an attorney might know better.

Yup, judging by the beer bottle pulled out of the trench, nobody's been down there since before prohibition.

Elgin Eagle brewing company, 1894-1920

Just remembered I'd paid for title insurance at closing, and assuming it's not just a scam, I'll be looking to them or the county recorder to see if anythings been drawn up in the last 100 years.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Started at a company working salary coming up on two years ago. Employment contract has no definite hours listed, just a motto to follow saying "we do whatever it takes". I averaged 48 hours/week in '23, and in two years earned a single sub-$2k bonus. I'm mostly doing back-office work, setting up projects and running budgets, occasionally on-site project management. Ownership has me clocking in on an app that tracks my location. I'm typically working from home.

On the heels of two 70-hour weeks, one on-site and one doing project reviews with ownership, I'm taking some time to stay with family, work remote out of my region and check out the eclipse. I'm up to date on all my tasks and projects. Ownership found out and is livid that I clocked out at 2 yesterday, "had no idea" what I was doing or where I was, even though my manager had approved my schedule in January and put it on the company calander.

Just today am getting in writing what my expected work hours are and how many hours I'm expected to put in per week. "10 hours a day, 50 hours a week", and "ask around for other tasks to do for others" if my workload happens to be less that week.

I've been a team player, I help others out all the time, put out fires, and I stay late when I'm needed to complete project reviews with ownership. (Sometimes they don't get around to working with me til noon or so, which of course pushes my day back when the job has to ship by Close of Business.) Friday, I had to wait and hold an hour while my boss talked to a painter working in his house. A few weeks before that, he tried starting up a 4-hour project review at 4:30pm, earlier he'd been at the airport switching out his long-term car rental. I had to be out the door by 5:45, and basically had to hang up on him. I put in a time-off request for a date 6pm-midnight the following week, and was told to knock that poo poo off.

So, anyway, this expectation that salaried employees work a minimum of 50 hours a week while getting paid a strict 40 strikes me as abusive. Especially when it's back-office work that can be planned around, especially when I'm working late due to ownership's personal errands/vacations, and then yelled at when I try and make my own plans after business hours. What say you, Goons? Is this something I should put up with or fight?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Ham Equity posted:

What country are you in, and are they not letting you take any time off at all, or is it just this one particular time they're upset about?

It's becoming clear, I'm in the US so leaving is likely the only course of action if I don't like it. The pushback I'm seeing is in direct response to me getting a backbone and trying to carve out a life outside of work hours. None of my peers really do, and I'm not trying to fill in their 2x divorced and heart-diseased footsteps. It's a family business and they pay a lot of lip to having a work-life balance, until the rubber hits the road and it's "No! Not like that". I understand when things are an emergency and we need to respond for our clients, but it's back-office stuff that can be taken care of whenever, wherever. Right now it's starting to look like they're building toward constructive dismissal. It's a small industry, but I'm betting I'll find a new spot that will take my skillset.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Ham Equity posted:

What is their paid time off policy? How many days a year do you get? Under what conditions are you allowed to take it?

"We don't really keep track of how much time off someone takes" but I've stuck to the standard 2 weeks/year. If it's approved and on the calander a month beforehand, its supposed to be OK.

Cue the owner texting me to call him back "for a few questions" during my last vacation, ended up chewing me out for taking off two weeks in a row (Xmas on one side, NYE on the other) "Who in the hell approved this?"

Motronic posted:

lol run. Some family businesses are fine, but there is no fixing a family business of petty tyrants.

This is spot-on. e: I'll leave it at that.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m shocked you have an employment contract in the US. What are the terms?

First off, confidential & not to be shared with other employees :jerkbag:

Actually it's my employment offer I'd signed and returned - I thought it was a contract but I guess not. It gives my responsibilities, reporting location, pay rate per week (not hourly, but weekly), eligibility of benefits, travel policies, and chain of command. No listed requirements on work hours or duration per week.

"Remote work is a privilige, not a right" - sure, except the part in the offer that says my reporting location is my employee home office, or various job sites as required.

Following the directions for "Something you would like to do during standard working hours", I wrote in a request to get a haircut tomorrow between 11a and 12p. Haven't gotten a response on that, yet.