Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
Is there like a starting a business thread or anything? I'm still on the step of making sure my idea is vaguely feasible, and I'm not 100% sure if I'm even thinking about all the right things to check. I live in a rural area full of pretty mountains a couple hours north of NYC, and I'm thinking of opening something that's partway between a campground and a bed and breakfast : the idea would separate rentable cabins on a mess of land with a more central house where guests can get a home cooked meal. Think rustic resort for people not trying to break the bank.

I've looked into financing, and that seems okay so far or at least not too bad. The state is trying to increase that kind of tourism so I have a good shot at subsidized loans. Zoning is a whole process (obviously) but I've gone through the relevant laws for the places I'm looking at and that also seems feasible (if annoying). I've got some people who might be interested in going in on the scheme with me, so I think we're good in terms of construction and actually running the place. Land is actually pretty cheap right now with some good acreage for sale.

I'm assuming there are going to be some titanic problems with this, I'm just trying to figure out what they might be. In fact, there are good odds that it's a crazy idea and I just haven't realized that yet. Can anyone point me to some other things to look into to see if this idea has any legs?

Sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Insurance! Good call!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation

Epitope posted:

Those types of places rule. Seems very much a lifestyle to own and operate one. The people who do it seem like they enjoy it. Is there already a spot with buildings? Or is building part of this potential venture?

At least some construction is currently being assumed and that's part of the plan/proto-budget*. One of my potential partners is a carpenter and I have some experience, but it'd still be nice if we could build onto prior construction to some extent. We're currently looking into older, isolated farmhouses that we could refurbish, rezone and then we can slowly add cabins to over time.

And yeah, part of this is because years ago I would've loved a place like this and I'm trying to monetize my desire to hike and make enormous fancy meals.

*Fake name I just made up for the process I'm doing now of figuring out all the stuff I need to put in an actual budget.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
These are all great questions that I should have an answer to! Thanks so much, and I'm definitely getting that book.