Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

paternity suitor posted:

Same. BFC has been the best financial advisor I could ever hope for.

Yeah it's wild how good BFC was at turning my financials around. I'm debt free and saving for retirement! wheeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Yeah, definitely at least get everything into a spreadsheet or budget program and figure out where the money went. It's super easy to not do that and just say "well, i'm just not going to waste any more money, i don't need to look back and get mad at myself." but if that were the case you'd have just not done it in the first place. These are super tough times and it's critical to get a handle on it right now, especially in case your financial situation changes for the worse.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

CornHolio posted:

(This doesn't even apply to me but does apply to several coworkers... one is a beekeeper AND a tour bus driver, one works at Advance Auto Parts in the evenings, a couple build race car engines, another owns a consulting company that's just him, etc...)
This is indeed the most Indiana set of second jobs i can imagine

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Wang Commander posted:

Is there a way to go from blue to white collar? Covid has made me realize how lovely of a deal I am getting working blue collar, but I have never worked in an office environment, and cannot move into one in my current field for a lot of reasons. How do you get a "corporate job" later in life? Is it possible?

a lot of computer toucher jobs just want you to have the right skills (or fake them and spend 80% of your work time on stackoverflow which is just fine, who cares) and don't care much about your work history/education. you could learn python or javascript or ruby in 5-6 months or whatever and probably get a job.

there are probably other white collar options but i don't know much about them

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Hadlock posted:

gently caress it, I'm eating out today

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

oh, they're gambling. yeah that does give you more money sometimes

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

you would not be out of line asking for 120k. a few weeks at a time? sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

y

This is another thing in the back of my mind. We have a large amount cash sitting doing nothing because we're not-really-looking-but-thinking-about-threatening-to-look for another house (or doing some renovations to ours) and in my mind I've wanted to keep some money liquid. Outside of dedicated retirement accounts, we don't have anything in a more traditional brokerage account. The cash cushion is nice/comforting, but it's also pretty dumb from a "this could be making some money" perspective.

Ally has no-penalty CDs (can withdraw after 6 days with no fee) at 4.55%, as well as traditional CDs 9 or 12 months at 5.00%, and 18 months at 5.15%. I'm sure there are better returns with a similar degree of safety but 5% is a lot more than 0% and it's very easy to set up