Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Couldn't find a more suitable thread for this, but I have a question about this job at Facebook. It's in one of their Asian offices and the position is a Business Integrity Analyst. I have no idea what the position actually entails. This is the job description:

Like, I use Facebook daily and even dabble in its functionality for businesses. But what would I actually be doing in this job? What kinds of fraud does Facebook deal with? Am I essentially the guy where user reports go to? Just a little confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Company A just emailed me saying that they've decided to extend me X position. I'm waiting on two other job applications: one of them I'm pretty far along (phone interview + test), the other not so much (just a test).

I'll be on the phone with Company A in a few hours' time, when I expect they'll describe the terms of contract. I'm keen to wait on the results of the other job applications, so I'll ask for a week of time to wait.

What do I say if Company A asks me if I have other job offers on the table? And if I do want to negotiate the salary, should I be doing it over this very phone call or should I email/call them later?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been at my firm since October 2016 and plan on bailing in mid-2017. Goal is to pivot hard out of this editing and qualitative research role and into something data-related.

In the meantime, however, my company has these grand plans to send me for this costly training program in the next few months. It certifies me in some crap that has no application or notability in the positions/industries I’m moving towards. They handpicked me out of like a dozen team members.

Mostly I’m worried about burning my bridges with the company by leaving very soon after getting the job. I tried to politely turn down the offer but couldn’t insist without looking suspicious. It’s a silly situation to be in.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m looking at an industry associate position that focuses on market research. A little confused at what the job actually entails.

But the job scope has me concerned:

- Conducting primary research with key players in the entire supply chain globally to support qualitative and quantitative research objectives,
- Accessing and analysing in-house and external published secondary research materials from all international industry sources,
- Conducting data trend analysis,
- Outside of the research calendar, generating both short and long term opinionated industry analysis on the various industries.

Also, it requires “a keen attitude towards trade interviewing.”

What the heck is trade interviewing? Am I just gonna be calling a ton of industry folks and asking them what their business plans are?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't understand how management consulting firms do their presentations.

Their presentations all seem to be very wordy with complex, hard-to-parse infographics. How do these play out in practice? Do they spend like 10 minutes on each slide explaining those graphs? What's the deal?

Here's one example:

https://www.portoflosangeles.org/Board/2008/March/030608_pres_bcg.pdf

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it advisable to give more notice than you're required? I'm looking to leave in exactly four months as it'll complete my one year at the company. My contractual notice period is three months (yes it's poo poo). But my company has had a lot of trouble hiring for my position -- took'em eight months to fill my position. I figure they'd appreciate more time in that hiring process. I want to leave on good terms.

What are my risks here?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I plan to resign, and I'm not sure when to tender my notice (which, by contract, is three months!).

The problem is at my small firm, I report directly to three managers and indirectly to a founding partner. Currently, only the two junior-most managers are around. It will be at least two weeks before all four of them are in the office.

I want to tender my notice face-to-face. But I have begun my job search and I already worry that my lengthy notice will put off potential employers.

Should I tender my notice now or wait until everybody's back? I don't want to burn my bridges by being rude, but it's a long-rear end notice period.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

she views her paycheck as "this is how many dollars I can spend this month"
More than anything, this is your problem. How could you possibly live with this? This is not remotely okay for any adult human being.

You're in a world of poo poo if this mindset doesn't change, pre-nup or not.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the actionable item from "prenups should not be relied on"? Don't marry below your caste?
Stash some money in offshore jurisdictions

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nobody gives a poo poo about your opinion on hot nurses, you should indeed gently caress off

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, weird day at work. I'm on "Team A" at work, and my boss said "Hey the guy who represented all of Team B just quit so you should consider being the new Team B guy"

I wasn't sure about it but he said to talk to the Big-Big-Boss who would explain why it was a good opportunity.

Must have been a miscommunication because the "talk" was a formal interview where he thought I'd be selling myself as a candidate, and I thought he'd be selling me on the job. Neither of us was prepared, neither of us had good answers for why this was a good job/I was a good candidate. I thought the job sounded like poo poo since it's more hours and less money, and I'm sure he thought I was a big chucklefuck who didn't even know what he was interviewing for.

I didn't want to burn bridges with a big cheese so I just politely thanked him for his time and said this did not seem like a good personal fit :psyduck:
Lol at this story. Have to wonder what your boss was thinking -- if my boss recommended me for a role with more work and less money I'd think that guy is Very Bad for my career development.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

does anybody grind those new bank account offers? i have enough cash for those cash deposit requirements and i can figure out if each individual offer is worth my time but overall is this something worth most people's time? obviously because of the cash requirements not everyone can do it so for those that do... is it worth it? seems like while there's good offers, it's one of those things that seems easy enough but actually is more work than it seems. open to hearing anyone's experiences doing this.
I made $600 in the past quarter from this. It's a pretty low-risk proposition if you don't need the liquidity. Just make sure you read the terms and conditions. A few of them require you to have regular incoming transfers from your employers,. My employer makes it easy to split my paycheck, but I imagine it's a pain in the rear end for some.

Incidentally this prompted me to try a few banks that I hadn't considered and they're now my preferred banks. Which I think is the whole reason these offers exist.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Re: splitting bills with your SO, we use the app Splitwise. We try to enter all shared expenses in there upon payment or at least by the end of the day. It’s painless.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have a CapitalOne high performance savings account. It’s currently on 3.4% APY.

At the end of Jan, I had $6615.57 in that account and gained $19.96 in interest = 3.0%

At the end of Feb, I had $8,095.88 and gained $18.63 in interest = 2.3%

1. Why am I getting less interest when there’s more money in the account? Are they using some daily average balance as the base as opposed to the balance at time of interest rate payout?

2. What I’m really interested in is maximizing my interests every month. The APY of different banks should be directly comparable, right?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ammanas posted:

This is kind of a weird issue. I was hired for an analyst position around 2 years ago. Assigned a program and was diligent at improving and expanding the program. Things going well. The unit manager wanted more employees so they hired more and shuffled things around. A new analyst was assigned my program (which is a junior program to my new assignment) and I was moved onto a long-tenured analyst's program to assist its expansion. Except...I have relatively little work to do and the tenured analyst is totally able to handle the workload on their own. It's also not a program where the workload can be split easily, doing so would essentially create additional unnecessary work for both of us. I do 15 minutes to 2 hours of work a day and am extremely loving bored. While I get a lot of people would love this, I prefer to be more productive, learn new things, solve problems etc - dumb work ethic poo poo and being unproductive is giving me a fuckload of anxiety. I would like some advice for how to handle this. I want to bring it up to my manager and the unit manager and request re-assignment and have my own program but afaik there isn't other work to do - another new employee also has essentially zero work until the end of the year also. Should I just keep my dumbass mouth shut?
If you’re serious about it, you should find new problems to solve, rather than wait for your managers to give you stuff. Go talk to people outside your team and understand what pain points they have. Then help them informally or ask your manager for a more formal responsibility.

Alternatively just take online courses in your free time and learn new things.

Whatever you do, I wouldn’t directly tell your manager that you have too much time on your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Your choices are not to suck it up or fight. They’re to suck it up or leave. You sound like you have pretty good project management and operational experience from your time with this employer. Great! Polish your resume and go for job interviews.

Chances are you can be working less and paid more.

There’s not really much else you can do about an abusive, exploitative employer. The owners sound like paranoid, small-minded folks.