Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

No Wave posted:

I wish you guys would eat better, you're making frugality look unhealthy
Every extra dollar you spend on vegetables/fruit/lean meat now is saving you a gazillion dollars in healthcare costs later. :v: (At least it is if you live in the US)

...says the woman who had canned soup for lunch today. I like cooking, but making good soup escapes me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Harry posted:

You could like, plan ahead.
And bring 15 more things with you because you want to make a moral point about phones.

It's not a 'kids these days can't live without instant communication at any time or place!' thing - it's about simple practicality. I want a camera on this trip, do I lug along a camera or the phone? I also want maps on the trip, do I bring along bulky traditional maps, spend time printing out google maps, or bring the phone? Do I take up space in my apartment with an alarm clock, or do I use my phone? Repeat for all the things the phone makes redundant.

I'm 100% serious when I say that talk, text, and web are the things I do least on my phone. (the lack of web is only partially because Sprint's data network is poo poo & you can't rely on having it when you're bored in a waiting room, I swear)

On that note, I'm going to seriously look at Ting. I'm using nowhere near enough data to justify paying what I am for Sprint's unlimited data, and this way I could keep my phone! $15-$24/mo(based on my historical usage rates) is a pretty sweet deal. I know I bitched about Sprint's data network(which Ting uses), but it doesn't bug me that much. :v:

It might take some of the sting out of moving in May, since I'm almost certainly going to see a rent increase. :( My current apartment is on the low end of rent for the area, but it's clearly that way for a reason.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Agreed. That price doesn't seem all that ridiculous for what you get. Peeler, can-opener...and a good sized container. I wish I had of bought that set instead of buying individually, since I didn't buy dollar store.

I bike to work and brew my own beer at a savings of $100+ per month so that I can afford to buy decent kitchen utensils for $100...once.
My philosophy with kitchen stuff is to buy durable poo poo that will last more or less forever. Buy a nice cast iron skillet or two and use it your entire life, or replace a nonstick skillet every few years as the coating flakes off? Buy sturdy kitchen utensils, or repeatedly buy dollar stuff stuff that will melt from cooking heat? Buy nice pots, or buy cheapo ones that will dent and warp easily?

My only exception that I do buy cheap microwaveable containers for leftovers. It's not worth the hassle of lugging breakable or heavy stuff along with me to work.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The cheapest car I've ever owned was a $500, 20 year old(at the time) Oldsmobile back in high school. It had no muffler, and I had to keep track of milage between fill-ups since the gas gauge didn't work, but hey, it drove! :v: Just taking a gander at craigslist now, I literally cannot find a single one of these mythical $250 cars. Everything is either scrap cars for parts or straight-up car parts that were put in the wrong section. The sub-$1000 car selection in general looks pretty dire, but doable if you had the car knowledge to have confidence in what you bought. I'd personally either have to learn a lot more about cars or make friends with a car geek before I felt comfortable springing for something in that range.

On that note, I walked to work for the first time since getting this job, since I now live close enough that it's feasible. A few people I know were freaking out because :byodood: there's no proper sidewalk and you have to walk back when it's dark out :byodood:, but it's a mere 15-20 minute walk and I didn't feel unsafe at any point. Score one for sinking less money into driving, at least until winter hits. :toot: