Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Holy loving poo poo am I glad 1) we keep a meticulous budget and 2) that we have a sizable emergency fund because our child care just accidentally charged us a $1300 overage. Fortunately the owner was unbelievably apologetic and it doesn't really cause us any problems to just use it as a statement credit toward future services but wow.
Why are you giving them a $1300 interest-free loan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not religious at all. We didn't want to live together because we both have two cats and didn't want to be the Weird Cat House.
This sounds like a great reason to pay double rent and spend drastically less time together.

tuyop posted:

It's totally off topic but I currently can't imagine a job that pays so well and still gives you enough free time and energy to maintain several cats and a girlfriend. I'm just hollowed out every evening by my ridiculous 80k a year job and can barely drum up the energy to feed myself. What are these jobs?!
Compensation isn't always based on how taxing the role is. For example, sometimes the importance of the role, or the difficulty of filling it, has a bigger impact.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

ohgodwhat posted:

If I want to take advantage of a potential employer match this year, should I back off or even eliminate 401(k) contributions for the time being?
So long as you're prepared for accelerated contributions to significantly reduce your paycheck (and possibly make up the difference with money you save now) this is a good idea.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

BlackMK4 posted:

That is what I was worried about, though it just seems like I have to nut-up and pay the tax to roll it into a Roth and it is no longer an issue. I will look into rolling into a new 401k when the time comes, thank you :)

Why would you not roll it into a traditional IRA, and then back into your next 401(k)?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Alternatively, leave the 401(k) where it is until you're ready to roll over into the next one. IIRC the only reason you'd ever want to close out a 401(k) immediately upon separation is if the fees are really usurious, but that'd have to be pretty incredibly bad to justify paying the Roth conversion taxes.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Xenoborg posted:

Got an email that Beam is live. I probably signed up for it based on something here, but looking at it again... it sounds a bit weird.

https://meetbeam.com/

Is there a consensus on this?

It's a skinner box; the returns aren't worth the time. Stay away.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Baronash posted:

I have a "how BWM is this?" question:

I'm currently employed, but started seriously looking for a new job about 2 weeks ago. The house I live in is provided by my employer, so getting a new job will also mean getting a new place. My wife and I started looking to see what was out there in our price range, and pretty unexpectedly found one that hit most of the items on our list: fenced-in backyard, dog friendly, garage (with a heated workspace!), back deck, kitchen island, and super close to her job. However, getting it would mean committing to paying rent (starting in December) on a place we don't actually need yet. We can make it work, and it's less than a quarter of our current take-home, but I'm worried about the chance of not finding a new job for a few months and wasting 2/3 grand on an empty apartment.

I know this really borders on E/N, but am I being an idiot? In my shoes, would you commit ahead of time on a place you really like?

As a very rough rule of thumb, if you just happen to find exactly what you want shortly after you start looking, similar things probably come on the market on a regular basis.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
No, that's entry level.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

H110Hawk posted:

Really any of the FAANG companies are like this regardless of role. They pay astronomical amounts of money but they own you. Get in, get it on your resume, get out. The product manager positions just happen to pay way more than you expect.

This definitely isn't true of individual contributor engineering roles in all FAANG companies. Amazon, sure.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

mrmcd posted:

I mean it's not free money the government is paying you to rent your money for 4 weeks.

I think the point is they're paying quite a lot. 5% guaranteed return in one month? Am I reading this right? That's 80% return in a year, if it were sustained (which I'm sure it won't be).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Motronic posted:

No, you're not reading that right. It's 5% annualized. For one month.

Interest rates are annualized regardless of the duration of the security/instrument.

Ah, good. Still a solid deal!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Yeah, sounds like a golden opportunity to "invest in professional development" (read: have fun studying whatever interests you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
This is a confusing breakdown. Are your retirement assets not invested?