Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
I've finally saved up enough money to live off of last month's paychecks! :toot:

Now I get to learn how to budget correctly because it will be a weird transition from living week-to-week to living month-to-month (I get paid weekly).

I'm hoping that doing the month-to-month thing will make it easier to save/pay down student loans. I'm just worried I'll fall into a trap in the 4th week of each month "Oh, I get paid next week, I can go a little over..." :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sometimes I can't help but think "If everyone was like me or your typical BFC goon with money would the economy collapse?" and the answer I always arrive to is "yes.". I can drive down the street right now and point to a lot of companies that would go out of business overnight. Then several that would probably collapse because I don't use them very often.

edit: Sorry for the dbl post. The question I posed is a little extreme but often times I have friends tell me "There should be a life 101 class in college/high school that teaches kids to be financially responsible with money, how to create a budget and how to be better at saving money, invest, etc." and I can't help but think "Gee, that would probably suck long term."

As a Masters level economics student, I have to respectfully disagree.

If over night, everyone shifted their preferences to save more, then yes, several businesses would shut down quickly. There would be lost jobs.

But then the economy would adjust. The job losses would likely be temporary. An increase in savings means that interest rates would decrease, so borrowing would become cheaper. This would mean new businesses cropping up from individuals looking to take a higher risk for a larger rate of return.

I believe if everyone were financially responsible, there would be far fewer sad/funny stories of people having financial troubles. In the long run, I believe everyone would be better off.

But you can also take this with a grain of salt because I haven't taken Macro Theory yet.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

John Kelly posted:

I just got notice from my landlord that they are selling the building I rent in to make more condos. I now have 60 days to find a new place which so happens to be the busiest time of year for my work. The good news is that I shouldn't dip into my savings too much although my goal of saving for a new car is going to wait a month or two because of this. I really liked this building too :(

Are they allowed to just kick you out like that? Did they buy your lease out or anything?

If you're in the U.S. several states have renter's protection laws that keep landlords from just kicking people out if they have a lease that's not in default.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Lazerbeam posted:

What criteria should I consider when compare two job offers?

There's a lot to consider.

Pay, benefits, hours working/week, company culture, how long the commute is, which job responsibilities you'll enjoy more, etc.

A few of these things are easy, but others are entirely up to your preferences. Are you willing to make some more money for a longer commute? How about sacrificing pay for a more relaxed setting?

It will probably require some thinking and listing of your priorities.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I was so excited to get my first paycheck in six weeks today, until I looked at my paystub to see that a quarter of my pay went to taxes. My living expenses have doubled but I'm bringing home the same amount I was at my last job, and now I'm salaried so I can't even get overtime now. Thanks PA! :suicide:

I started this job two weeks ago, would it be bad form to start looking for something that pays more already? I'm not sure my fiancée and I can live on our combined income if that's all I'm taking home, we already cut a lot of extraneous expenses out of our lives since we have a wedding to save for, though that could be the source of my current freakout.

Is your withholding set at the correct level? If it's a new job/company (sounds like it is) you could be having too much withheld. This might help your situation some.

To answer your question, I think it is bad form, but as long as you don't get a reputation in your industry for doing things like this (unlikely unless it is very niche) you'll be fine.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Company A just emailed me saying that they've decided to extend me X position. I'm waiting on two other job applications: one of them I'm pretty far along (phone interview + test), the other not so much (just a test).

I'll be on the phone with Company A in a few hours' time, when I expect they'll describe the terms of contract. I'm keen to wait on the results of the other job applications, so I'll ask for a week of time to wait.

What do I say if Company A asks me if I have other job offers on the table? And if I do want to negotiate the salary, should I be doing it over this very phone call or should I email/call them later?

Read the op of this thread: negotiations

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

He more or less implied that he'll be adding hours to my clock-ins every week so that I'm getting overtime to make up for what he thinks is a bum deal for me.

Isn't this considered fraud?

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah it was a United card, there's not a downgraded version that doesn't include a fee.

On another note, I got an email from Ally today saying that the rate on online savings with them has gone up to 1.05% - figure this is as good a place as any to post that. I know .05% isn't much but it's something!

That's ten dollars a year on a 20k balance, I'll take that for free!

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Purple Prince posted:

How do you all deal with the urge to spend money on food? Sometimes at work I just crave some iced tea or a donut or a flat white or something, and looking at my budget I can see that it ends up costing £50-100 month, but it's super hard to break this habit since it's viscerally attractive to grab food when I feel like it.

You either need to build some will power, or plan around it. Bring a snack or some coffee from home that you can prepare when you’re feeling the urge to munch.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Congratulations on your house, I hope!

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

I wouldn't wish a horse on my worst enemies.

BlackMK4 posted:

If a house looks like a used GT3 Cup car, ya

It was a house :smith:

Welcome to the shackles homecarownership! Please enjoy constant homecar improvement projects you were never planning on and frustrating, surprise maintenance issues for the rest of your life!

Fezziwig fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 13, 2020

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Is anyone familiar with Green Dot bank? They look to be FDIC, offer a 3% savings account and their rewards (debit) card offers 3% cash back for online purchases.

Looks like the catch is you need to spend $1,000/month on the card or pay an $8 fee. You also only get rewards and interest once a year.

Assuming you meet the spending requirements, how significant is getting interest only once a year vs monthly?

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
There's the other part that factors in, definitely. I guess most folks, even if they want to keep things as simple as possible, are probably better off getting a 2% cash back everywhere card and using a traditional HYSA.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Did my annual re-evaluation of retirement savings rates and bumped my 401k contribution up to 6% and my wife's up to 7%. This is on top of being on track to max Roth IRAs in 2020 :toot:

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sorry if your CC debt is at 17% you should prioritize the CC debt full fuckin stop

Especially since there is no matching on the 401k contributions

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Big Dick Cheney posted:

We just had our baby delivered a week ago. Is there a way to get the Biden tax credit now or do I need to wait to until I can file my 2021 taxes?

Piggy backing on this, but born a month ago. I assume withholding just has to be adjusted and you get that money back over the course of the year, but would be interested in getting it early if possible.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
The purpose of an emergency fund is preservation of capital and to be available immediately. The best your are going to be able to do is a HYSA, or jumping through hoops for something like HM Bradley.

I've seen some goons discuss I-Bonds lately, but I'm not as familiar with them. AFAIK, they are less liquid but relatively risk free, so if you're willing to chance it that you'll have a few days buffet before needing cash, those might be a good option.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

LiterallyATomato posted:

Hey so I know this obviously changes depending on where you live, etc. but what's a good target on a grocery budget for two adults and a small child? $400/mo.?

Anyone here have a comparable family situation willing to share how much they budget?

E: For reference, two working adults in the Seattle suburbs with a post-formula toddler.

My wife and I spend about $500/month on groceries, but we include things like diapers for our 6 month old in the grocery category. Also occasional purchases like beer and wine, which is probably a once/month purchase.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

nwin posted:

I don’t understand how people can get their groceries so low. With my wife and myself, a toddler, and then a baby on formula (formula is not part of the grocery budget-we have a separate budget for formula/diapers/etc), we average $1200/month.

This includes trips to Costco

A small aside, but if your baby doesn't have any special diet needs, we found the Costco brand of baby formula to be absolutely awesome. It's less than half the price per oz compared to enfamil and our 6 month old likes it just as much. That could go a long way to reducing the grocery bill if your baby eats like ours.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
This is why my wife and I just combined everything. We only have a single checking account where all of our pay gets dropped into, and we both have access to a shared budget where we can both see everything we purchase.

Makes things a little difficult around birthdays and holidays, but that's a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing we are both on the same page financially.

They being said, I also know couples they have 3 checking accounts too: Spouse A, Spouse B and Shared. Some folks still prefer to be in the "mine" and "yours" camp, which is fine, and everything works out well for them. But it is very important that you're on the same page w.r.t large expenditures and retirement. Worst case scenario is one person can afford to retire and the other can't, or one person can buy a new car and the other can't, etc.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
I am in a BA type role that works with a bunch of DAs. The DAs on my team do everything from statistics heavy forcast-modeling, to BA-like tasks developing requirements for data systems, to doing BI-type work making dashboards in PowerBI or Tableau. Some even do SQL-heavy work like I do but are called a DA for some reason.

It really depends on the kind of work you want to do.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

What does BA and BI mean? Business Analytics and Business Informatics? I don't have a good idea of what you mean by forecast modeling besides taking data and making it into something predictive to some level of confidence and accuracy.

Business Analysis and Business Intelligence.

And that's exactly what I mean. Taking existing data (in our case, historical gross profits by month) and using that to create a predictive model of what gross profit will be in the future. This is often using existing models, such as ARIMA, TBATS, etc instead of developing new models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Vegetable posted:

I have a CapitalOne high performance savings account. It’s currently on 3.4% APY.

At the end of Jan, I had $6615.57 in that account and gained $19.96 in interest = 3.0%

At the end of Feb, I had $8,095.88 and gained $18.63 in interest = 2.3%

1. Why am I getting less interest when there’s more money in the account? Are they using some daily average balance as the base as opposed to the balance at time of interest rate payout?

2. What I’m really interested in is maximizing my interests every month. The APY of different banks should be directly comparable, right?

1. Yes, they use an average daily balance.

2. Yes, banks APY is directly comparable. If you're in a HYSA now, chances are there aren't going to be many banks that will beat your current rate. For example Ally, which has been a goon favorite for HYSA, is also at 3.4%.