Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I ate out. McDonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I cannot fathom not having my phone with me even on vacations. It's my map, my camera, my internet, my notes, my to-do list. It's how I get in touch with people I'm visiting to catch up and grab a beer with them and so on. You guys are crazy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah annualcreditreport doesn't work for me either.

What I do is I have an account at experian.com and sign up for the 7 day trial to get all 3 reports. Then I immediately cancel the trial. For some reason they have offered me a 7 day trial every single time I log on. I cancel the trial immediately after signing up. I've done this for months and months now and I've never been charged. You have to do this on a computer to get the trial.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

NoWake posted:

Started at a company working salary coming up on two years ago. Employment contract has no definite hours listed, just a motto to follow saying "we do whatever it takes". I averaged 48 hours/week in '23, and in two years earned a single sub-$2k bonus. I'm mostly doing back-office work, setting up projects and running budgets, occasionally on-site project management. Ownership has me clocking in on an app that tracks my location. I'm typically working from home.

On the heels of two 70-hour weeks, one on-site and one doing project reviews with ownership, I'm taking some time to stay with family, work remote out of my region and check out the eclipse. I'm up to date on all my tasks and projects. Ownership found out and is livid that I clocked out at 2 yesterday, "had no idea" what I was doing or where I was, even though my manager had approved my schedule in January and put it on the company calander.

Just today am getting in writing what my expected work hours are and how many hours I'm expected to put in per week. "10 hours a day, 50 hours a week", and "ask around for other tasks to do for others" if my workload happens to be less that week.

I've been a team player, I help others out all the time, put out fires, and I stay late when I'm needed to complete project reviews with ownership. (Sometimes they don't get around to working with me til noon or so, which of course pushes my day back when the job has to ship by Close of Business.) Friday, I had to wait and hold an hour while my boss talked to a painter working in his house. A few weeks before that, he tried starting up a 4-hour project review at 4:30pm, earlier he'd been at the airport switching out his long-term car rental. I had to be out the door by 5:45, and basically had to hang up on him. I put in a time-off request for a date 6pm-midnight the following week, and was told to knock that poo poo off.

So, anyway, this expectation that salaried employees work a minimum of 50 hours a week while getting paid a strict 40 strikes me as abusive. Especially when it's back-office work that can be planned around, especially when I'm working late due to ownership's personal errands/vacations, and then yelled at when I try and make my own plans after business hours. What say you, Goons? Is this something I should put up with or fight?

You're getting heavily taken advantage of. If I were you I'd comply with their 10 hour/day schedule to the letter including just getting up and leave exactly 10 hours after after "clocking in" and then taking the rest of the time in my day to apply for other jobs asap. gently caress that poo poo, do the bare minimum you need to get paid and jump ship.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The catch is that these bank accounts typically have poo poo interest rates so you end up losing out on interest income while you park your money to get the bonus. It usually works out better though.
But there are also fine print details like how long you have to keep the money in the account, minimum balances if any, and at the end of the day you'll probably get a 1099 for every bank signup bonus so you'll have to report those and also pay taxes on them. It's not 100% free money but it is free money, with strings.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SpelledBackwards posted:

I just checked my credit report last month and I'm good, but the reason I checked it was to figure out who was sending me banking offers with a slightly incorrect name. My 3 reports didn't show any alternate names and I've never used any other name, so it must be in some other system that I have no idea to check (is there some sort of equivalent report for Chex systems, etc.?). Could still use advice on next steps there. My posts from the 1 page ago:

For Wells Fargo you'll want to pull EWS. EWS is a legit CRA co-owned by Wells Fargo. You can check out their sample report to see that they'd have daily bank account balances for all your participating accounts which is creepy af.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think that calling your bank to report fraud on your checking account can result in your checking account being frozen which might affect your ability to receive direct deposits from your work if the timing is bad and leading up to not being able to pay bills if you didn't have a backup bank account. Having your credit card frozen while fraud if being investigated is just meh, change the billing credit card number to a different one and you're on your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Experian website will offer you a one-week trial every single week if you visit it on a desktop. You just log in and it'll ask if you want a trial, say yes and then you can immediately cancel right away. For one week you'll get both your credit report and FICO scores across all 3 credit reporting agencies updated daily. After the trial ends you just log on via a desktop again and it offers you another trial. I've been doing this for months now and paid $0.

It gives you a bunch of different FICO scores, not just FICO8.