Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Would there be an audience for personal finance/frugality challenge threads? Like, "Commute by bike for April" or "Buy nothing new May"?

Hell yes. Do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

dreesemonkey posted:

I like the idea but as a boring old married guy who already carpools to work with his wife, I don't know that there are going to be many challenges I won't fail miserably at.

Eating oatmeal at my desk this morning, sandwich packed from home for lunch. 5 lbs lost in my first week of counting calories :toot:

I saw this on extreme cheapskates, but doing a week where you spend no money at all would be a neat challenge. It'd also help clean out your freezer and pantry.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

pancaek posted:

I was able to travel without a phone for a week or two, but it wasn't as fun as the next time I went to the same place and brought a smartphone. Being able to access maps, restaurant reviews, and figuring out whether or not places were open or closed and how to get to them was valuable, and definitely worth the $100 or so I paid for an int'l data plan.

Getting unnecessary calls from back in the states while traveling ("Hello! I'm calling from Walgreens to remind you that you can refill your prescription!" "AGH HELL THIS JUST COST ME $2.50") was super annoying, though. Even letting the calls go to voicemail would have cost $$, too. It was ridiculous.

BFC tip: Upon arriving in an international destination pop out your Sim card and go to a place that sells prepaid ones. I went to Ireland this summer and bought a $15 O2 Sim and 2 weeks worth of data and voice didn't use up the whole initial $15.

You need an international unlocked phone, but I had a Nexus 4 and that worked.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

drat Bananas posted:

We hired a tax accountant this year because a lot of complicated stuff happened in 2013, and I just got our tax return paperwork (plus another one for an estate I'm handling) in the mail. He typoed my husband's name (i.e. Andrw) and also put the executor's middle name as her first name. Now, I doubt this will make a difference with the IRS but it sure makes me worry about his attention to detail! I chose him because Angie's List had about 6 reviewed accountants nearby and he had 17 "A" ratings. The next best only had 4. Oh well, hope nothing important was missed!

Call the guy up. Note one of the mistakes you saw (not both) and ask him to do a detailed review. Hopefully he catches the other name issue.

poo poo like name is really easy to miss as a preparer and doesn't necessarily mean he's lovely. If he misses it the second time around, he is poo poo and be very wary and check all of his calcs.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Just put an offer in on a rental property that I've only seen pictures of. My wife did a walk through and I trust her judgement.

Projecting a pretty solid ROI on this one. Hopefully my projections aren't hilariously wrong

E: Phone posting typo

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 3, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Mine works sometimes when people ask me about BASIL, but yeah. We need a champion.

Dude, I think you're the BFC champion.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

I stay for fallacies from The Smartest Guy in the Room. And the convoluted hoops he draws his finances through.

I stay to criticize how poorly his excel budgets look and find the errors. I would never do this to a person who didn't claim to be an excel wizard though.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm a big retard who didn't know the definition of "Head of Household", so I took way too many exemptions on my W-4 and now I owe the IRS $3,000. Booooo

Yeah, the IRS being PC and not calling this status "Single Parent" has caused many to make that mistake

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

What a racket. poo poo just gets dirty again.

And the filth is hiding all the retarded cosmetic damage my wife has done.

I love that both of you are terrible with cars. Match made in heaven.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Cicero posted:

Confirming: Vanguard isn't a brokerage, can't trade through them, right?

Vanguard is a brokerage firm. You can trade through them, but unless you hit the voyager/flagship levels, commissions are super high 20 bucks I think

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

last laugh posted:

You can trade their ETFs without that fee, I believe.

Right. As well as their funds.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Vilgan posted:

the 20 bucks is the per year cost of having a brokerage account. Per trade stuff varies based on what you are buying (Vanguard ETFs are free for example).

$20 is the cost for buying stocks, which I think is what the poster was getting at. And $20 is the highest I've ever seen for non assisted trades. Don't buy stocks through Vanguard. Of course Vanguard ETFs and Funds are commission free.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Unfortunately I don't think classes would do all that much.

It took me 10 years after graduating college before I really pulled my head out of my rear end regarding finances. Luckily I was smart enough to max out my 401k immediately but I was up to my eye balls in debt and really didn't care.

I tend to forgive people in their 20's a lot of things I would consider "not smart" because they're still young, enjoying the world and figuring out what direction they're going to take for the rest of their lives. To paraphrase Greg Proops, "if you don't [gently caress like a rabbit and spend like a drunk sailor] while you're young when the hell are you supposed to?"

That said, there is little to no excuse for people past that point in their lives to not at least recognize that they still have a lifetime ahead of them to prepare for.

We have mandatory Geography classes and a lot of people can't identify any European country other than Italy. So I don't think a mandated financial education (which is required in half of the states) would stick, even ignoring the huge draw of buy now pay later.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think Sardines are now my go to food. High protein, lots of nutrients and their low on the food chain so they're less likely to have high levels of mercury. Not to mention they're cheap.

I hope you don't work in close quarters in an office. If you do, you're THAT guy

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

When did STD become STI? I see that all the time now.

I think STD is US and STI is UK/Canada

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I was going to mow my lawn this weekend but I ended up burning my fingers (first time in my life) when I stupidly went to adjust the mower height while the motor was still hot. I considered just paying someone to cut my lawn from here on because I'll be moving soon but after the pain subsided I decided to just mow it myself when I get home today. Lesson learned, money saved.

Depending on how large your yard is, you can ditch the gas mower on Craigslist and then buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045VL1OO?pc_redir=1399739847&robot_redir=1

No gas costs, virtually no maintenance. I think you have to sharpen the blades on occasion, but I'm 2 years in and they're just as effective as day 1.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FrozenVent posted:

Depending on the life expectancy of his current mower and it's potential resale value, he might be better off riding his existing one into the sunset than buying a $200 hand-pushed job.

You have to figure out how much gas your mower is actually burning (IE, not a lot) and how much money you'd save compared to how much you'd have to invest in the new mower. Not doing that calculation is how a shitton of people end up with hybrids that are doing them no favors.

While I agree that the economics of it may or may not make sense, he'll never burn his hand on a motor.

Fwiw I moved into a house that had a mower there. I hated that thing, but used it because it was free. Wound up selling it for $75 on CL and getting one of those fiskars models for $125 on woot. Sure I was out $50, but I can cut my lawn before work at 6am or first thing in the morning on weekends and not be a target of my neighbors hatred.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

EugeneJ posted:

Has anyone successfully got married and kept their finances completely separate?

Like, no joint-checking accounts and no snooping?

Maybe it's because I'm a messed up Jew, but to me not mingling finances upon marriage is pretty much the same thing as deciding to be in an open marriage /poly/whatever the kids these days are calling it.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
My wife had to go to Home Depot for some unplanned home improvement stuff and had to spend $75. She called me and told me how she felt sick to her stomach and now finally understands how I feel everytime I spend money.

I'm so proud. :3:

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Washing machine stopped spinning last week. My wife ordered a new clutch and installed it for $30, fixing it. I was just going to call an appliance repair guy. I'm no longer emasculated by her fixing poo poo. I'd have broken it.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

CatchrNdRy posted:

So I own a house that I rent out in a middle-middle class neighborhood. Near a mall and major roads, not some subdivision in the middle of nowhere. I ask for appropriate rent for the area.

I haven't had a renter for about a month. Management Company says they have a Section 8 approved applicant.

I don't want to discriminate based on income, but are there potentially a lot of hassles and downsides involved with Section 8 tenants?
Would that make my neighbors upset?

Only issue is that depending on your locality you'll have to get inspected and approved for section 8, but the bar is very low. Literal slum houses get approved.

As for your neighbors, a) there's no way they can legally find out unless you or your tenant tell them and b) gently caress em

Also section 8 tenants are great since you have a guaranteed rent payment from the government.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Golden Bee posted:

Got tapped to raise funds for a large (3 Mil) deal. Heard some buzz about people creating various "Kickstarters for Investing", wondering if anyone knew where to look?

Tapped a few people but they're all in rewards-based funding (i.e. Kickstarter itself).

What kind of deal is it?
MicroVentures is a generic one, if you have a specific space there are more. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep it off the forums.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Juanito posted:

We're moving to Florida at the end of August. We've got a dryer, but we won't have a washer. Any suggestions on the best place to buy a washer? We could buy one locally before we move, but I'd rather wait until we get to our destination in case we have to deal with any warranty issues.

I'm basically just wondering in case people have any specific recommendations of recommended stores, or stores to avoid?

I'll probably look at Consumer Reports to get actual machine recommendations, hoping to only spend $300-500 for one.

Sears has a scratch and dent outlet. Usually pretty good deals on a functionally new appliance. Not sure I'd do it for a refrigerator where the damage would be visible, but for a laundry? gently caress cosmetics

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rurutia posted:

tuyop, you turned things around in your thread and you found the MMM philosophy to be best suited to you maintaining your financial health. I'm sincerely happy for you. Please accept that his philosophy is not necessary for everybody to have financial literacy.

I see this all the time with Dave Ramsey followers. The smug condescending attitude of someone who doesn't actually understand finances, but follows their personal Lord and Savior blindly.

My brother and sister in law attend the church of Ramsey and worship upon his bald pate. They give me odd looks anytime I use a credit card because credit cards are the devil. What they don't get is that credit cards are loving awesome for rewards and that really credit card debt is the devil. So if you would pay off your card in full every month you're losing money by using cash/debit. They're low income and the Ramsey thing really works for them and that's great, but it's funny when financial idiots try to apply their narrow case philosophy to someone else.

Fake edit :
Tuyop this was not directed at you, just the topic brought this sore subject to mind.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Employs 2 speaks in a manner consistent with young black people in our area, which is to say "Completely normal and not in need of fixing." Employee 2 is highly qualified

I'm never sure what people mean by "speaking in a manner consistent with young black people in our area" Does employee #2 speak very informally and unprofessionally? Yolo McSwaggins kind of thing? Or using the word ax instead of ask?

This does not excuse #1s behavior one bit, and I'm with tuyop on reporting to HR. If 2s speech is a major issue, then HR may help 2 with things like diction courses to help further his career. This happened with a friend of mine and his communication got way better.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

nickutz posted:

I know Ramsey helps a lot of people but they almost create this cult around him.

A friend's sister works as a bank teller and keeps copies of one of Dave's book at her station to give out to customers if she thinks they need his advice.

This is the issue with him. I've posted in BFC before about my sister and brother in law's fanatical following of him. They refuse to open a credit card for Frontier to get 2 free tickets in the first year and $800 or so spending. They buy at least 6 frontier tickets a year, but whatever.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

It is actually a crappy deal since it is a ridiculous amount of points on frontier to go anywhere.

How is it a crappy deal? You get 2 free tickets, no fee the first year and then you cancel the card.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

spwrozek posted:

You have to pay the $69 in your first bill period (unless they have changed it) I did this a few years ago. Plus to fly anywhere on frontier is 40,000 points round trip basically. With the new way they price flights it is worthless. My wife and I both went Denver to Dallas earlier this year for $98 each. They wanted 20k points each one way. Worthless.

Southwest has the best point system in my experience.

E: basically I don't think you get two free flights really.

$69 annual payment starts in year 2. The deal is 50k points which got me two round trip tickets from DE to FL. And a free companion ticket.

The actual point system is garbage. I'm canceling as soon as the year is over.

E: I've used the two regular tickets and they worked no problem.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FrozenVent posted:

$500 for a good winter coat... Got a good deal too, so woo.

What kind of coat was $500 that was a good deal?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FrozenVent posted:

A decent down parka?

Wasn't judging, just genuinely curious. I just was shopping for down parkas and was bummed to not find a decent one and in the low $200 range. I decided that for the 5-10 days temps with windchill below zero I get wasn't worth the expenditure. Most were well in the $300 range though. Maybe your climate dictates a $500 coat?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Aerofallosov posted:

Is turbo tax okay to use now? I've been trying to decide which to use while my medicaid applications go through, and seeing if I can get a 1098-T from my university. People I know were warning me about Turbo Tax this year.

People are warning against turbo tax because they made many buy a tier higher than they had in the past. They're now giving people $25 if they were forced to upgrade, so it's a wash.

If you're on Medicaid with just student loans as a complication, you'll probably be fine with the basic turbo tax.

On H&R block, consider that a big part of their business model is giving people their refund early at userous rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Composting toilet/humanure toilet. Pooping into clean water is loving barbaric and ridiculous. Your plumbing is basically doing you a favour.

Since it's so barbaric and you're obviously enlightened, how many of your last 10 poops were done in a traditional flush toilet?