Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Wouldn't that raise the percentage, not lower it?

You pay less in interest because you get some of if back when you take the deduction.

@Omne: The best return is dumping the money into paying off loans, however if you don't feel comfortable with your emergency saving then I would reccomend you put it towards that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Mobby_6kl: if you don't have a good rewards cards, then just get another credit card. If you like your card then I'd just put reminders up every 3 months to continue requesting increases. You may be able to escalate to get a bigger increase as well.

Tuyop: the only potential issue I know of is that the same bank may not be willing to give you another credit card if you're into the sign up bonus game. You can get around this by calling them up and moving the limits between cards though.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The negotiation thread would be a decent place. Do you have a list of duties for your job title and the next one up? The easiest case to make for a raise or promotion is to use those lists and show that you do more than required.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Email isn't encrypted by default so I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of privacy violation to send tax forms via it. Might also be that companies don't want any potential liability.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I believe that as long as the employer is consistent then they can do pretty much whatever they want. State laws may vary but even under an accrued model I don't believe there is anything at the federal level that requires that the employer pay out vacation. It might be worth consulting a lawyer cause you can probably do it for free. I think a first step would be to find out if the new policy is clearly stated in an employee handbook or the equivalent.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Rolo posted:

General credit card question: It now looks like I'm going to be out of town for 2-3 weeks while a new card sits in my mailbox. It's a locked community mailbox so I'm not worried about theft, but how long can a card sit inactivated?

Worst case scenario I can call the issuer, but if it's not a problem I'll save myself a customer service experience.

It doesn't matter.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Also, from your link:

:newlol: Isn't this a discredited argument?

I'm skeptical the average family with $50k takehome is spending $2.5k, or 5% of their takehome, on cable and lattes, but if they are then it works out I guess. I don't follow him so maybe this is incorrect, but I feel like he took his experience and generalizes it not realizing or ignoring that it is significantly easier to cut spending while maintaining a decent life if you're in the top 5%.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

My gym offers a $10/month discount if you pay via EFT with a checking/savings account. Is there any disadvantage to using a Capital One savings account made specifically for this purpose? I was planning on auto transferring the money every month and then deleting the account if needed.

I hate gyms.

I don't think this helps you. Gyms are scummy, but if they can't charge you then you're going to accumulate charges, and potentially fees, that they will most report to a credit bureau as unpaid. I'd personally rather know about the problem and deal with it upfront.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

incoherent posted:

Isn't every state like "right to work" and contractual three months is unenforceable?

Right to work governs agreements between employers and unions. Contracts can require notice but it's most likely only enforceable if the contract has a fixed term or the company is required to give similar notice.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

I Love Topanga posted:

I was just informed that I will receive a sizable (to me) stock grant as a part of my comp package. It will vest over a period of 4 years (1/4 after year one, and 1/16 each quarter thereafter).

I'm pretty new to this part of a comp package so I'm interested in what is typical. Should I expect to receive an ADDITIONAL grant every year moving forward (stacking the stock grants and rolling them all together), or just expect to renew and increase after the 4 year granting period?

How does the award typically work?
for example, if I am awared $20,000 over 4 years.
a. Do I have the $20,000 in shares at today's market price in my account on day 1($20,000 on day one, stock increases 10% by yr 1, I am now vested at $5,500 of $22,000),
b. or will they release the funds and purchase shares at the given market price at the vesting date? (ex. $5,000 at year 1, additional $1,250 q1, etc.)

This is a part of my companies Stock Refresh Program.

Basically A, you should be awarded X shares on a specific date based on the total grant divided by market price. Whether you get another grant yearly, around four years, or never, is entirely company and performance dependent. I would suggest assuming that you don't though if the company is reasonably large you can probably find out what is typical either online or asking your teammates and manager. The recruiter will typically tell you that additionally grants can be awarded yearly based on performance, but will either lie or won't know what level of performance is needed and what is typical.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It's been a while, but the traffic generally flows into Tacoma in the morning and out in the evening so if you were to get a job there it'd be preferable to live in or near Tacoma and have your wife reverse commute to Olympia. I agree that you shouldn't do this for a hypothetical job

asur
Dec 28, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm thinking about it. I didn't want to do it in the summer because light sensitivity and dry eyes are an issue. I will say that the other reason I didn't prioritize it is that my eye issues are just minimal astigmatism so I'm not sure it's as life changing for me as most people.

Not wearing glasses is amazing. I personally had no issue with light sensitivity and dry eyes but ymmw.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I haven't seen an ESPP yet that will allow selling immediately. There's generally a 1-2 day lag for the shares to arrive in your account. The risk is minimal if the discount is 5% or more, but there is some.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If the market actually overweights into ETFs then someone will make money off it. This someone will be a hedge fund or bank and will not be you.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ralith posted:

This definitely isn't true of individual contributor engineering roles in all FAANG companies. Amazon, sure.

Same in my experience. The FAANG companies, and other well established high paying companies, are probably the most reasonable in SV. They expect you to meet your commitments, but they're generally reasonable and end up around 40 hours a week assuming you're not screwing around with onsite amenities. Apple does have hard deadlines so they're maybe the exception based on what I've heard. Netflix also has a weird rep though like Amazon it may be team dependent as the people I know there seem to not be working ridiculous hours.

Everyone seems to think that companies that pay ridiculously well require ridiculous hours and that doesn't line up at all. Companies that pay terribly, especially with a illiquid equity, seem to be the ones that require absurd hours.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Characterizing a payment for an asset, or a percentage of an asset, as a gift sounds like tax fraud though this probably depends on the exact status of the partner. It also may cast doubt on whether she gave you the money or bought up to 50/50.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wasn't sure where to ask this, but since startup options just came up I guess I'll try here.

I work for a startup. I have a decent chunk of options. The company is in a good position, has a real product and customers, and while there are currently no hints of acquisition, it's always a possibility in tech. At the current FMV, my shares are worth ~$150k.

My wife may have the opportunity to go work for her company in the UK. If we did that, and I figured out how to come with and work remotely (definitely possible with my employer)... am I super extra screwed if the startup were to get acquired while I'm there? I know there are situations where US citizens living abroad still end up paying US income tax, and I assume the UK's tax would be pretty significant too.

You should talk to a CPA familiar with both US and UK tax, but the worst case should be paying the highest rate. Note if you live in a state that has income tax then you may have to pay that on top.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
NAL, but I've heard cases in the past where this fails because the company is making you sign under duress as you have to sign to keep your job. It's supposedly more enforceable if the company has you sign it before you start working there though I'm uncertain if that is for competitors only or any second job. It's probably state dependent.

If it doesn't impact you I'd probably sign and move on. If it does you should consult a lawyer. If it's clearly non-competitive you might be able to just bring it up to the company for an exception but there is a risk there.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Agreed that you should get a lawyer and accountant to setup the business. In general, acting as if yourself and the business(es) don't exist as separate legal entities is a potential reason for the corporate veil to be pierced. Renting to a business you own for way under market rate because you indirectly own everything could be an example of this.

The lawyer will probably recommend this, but you should buy some type of business insurance.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I don't know why the cell phone numbers you're giving aren't working, but I don't think it's sketchy to give Citi support a Citi credit card number when you called a known Citi phone number.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for getting better about spending money and feeling ok with what, by all objective measurements, is an amount of wealth well beyond most Americans? I earn an obscene amount of money at a tech job, live well below my means and save a ton, and I'm still terrified of losing my job, being destitute, etc. Like, obviously, therapy is the answer, but we're currently doing other important things there. I'm trying to outrace the terror by sprinting to my FIRE number, but ... that's addressing a symptom.

Do you budget? If not, that's where I'd start because a budget is explicit permission to spend money on stuff.
Regardless, go to loving therapy. You're going to have the exact same problem if or when you FIRE. I'd guess that the transition is going to be a problem as well.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Is the period 3 years or is the look back 36 months and the period is much shorter? It seems hard for a 15% discount on a 36 month look back to be a bad deal, but you'd also need to look at the lock up, penalties, period length to know for sure.

It seems unlikely to not be a ESPP of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't see like a small business thread anywhere so I guess I'll ask here. I'm a tiny business owner looking to hire my first very part-time W-2 employee. I've had a buddy help me for years but he was always happy with a 1099 so I've never had to navigate all this stuff. I've got a local payroll company handling all the payroll, I-9/E-Verify/state new hire reporting stuff and have gotten worker's comp coverage (not actually required for me in my state at my small scale, but I definitely need it). I'm in an at-will, very employer-friendly red state. Do I need a written contract with this employee? Or is saying 'I'm paying you $20/hr, fill out this W-4' sufficient? It's been forever since I had a W-2 kind of job and can't remember what's normal. If contract, is any randomly googled 'free employee contract form' fine? It's like 10 hrs a week maybe, no paid benefits/vacation/sick/personal time. It seems like even if no contract is technically required, both of us signing a piece of paper where we agree that he's getting paid x/hr, no benefits, either of us can terminate the employment at any time seems good just to make sure our expectations match.

I would highly recommend talking to an employment attorney. At least in the state I'm in you need to give new hires a bunch of documents and it's recommended to have an employee handbook outlining a bunch of stuff