Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Lustig is a quack, and it's terrible that he and guys like Taubes get exposure from a credible source like the NY Times. If you eat reasonably well most of the time, the rest doesn't matter nearly as much as you think. End YLLS rant.

On topic: I need new work slacks. My normal places would be Marshalls/TJMax, but any suggestions? Open to spending more if the durability makes it worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I'll second IF being awesome and point to the leangains thread in YLLS for those who are also interested in lifting. Read the general IF stuff first.

It saves me a lot of money because I don't buy breakfast/lunches at work except for social events.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

tuyop posted:

Guys, GUYS!

Zaurg sighting?!

Edit: two days too late to convince slomo to buy that condo. Missed opportunity.

antiga fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 29, 2014

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Cicero posted:

Confirming: Vanguard isn't a brokerage, can't trade through them, right?

I have seen the place on the their site to open a vanguard brokerage account but I have no idea what the fees are for anything. There is probably not a catchy gotcha sign up bonus though

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

You should keep it unless there are problems you know about. Agreeing with the poster above, the lease is pretty much a sunk cost IMO. If you don't like the car, then you have a question about preference, not just money.

Do not buy a smart car if you live in the US. I would not want to be involved in an accident against an "average" US vehicle in something that small.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Old people like heat, if your building isn't new it costs a bunch of money to keep an apartment at seventy five degrees 24/7/365.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Cash equivalent gift cards marketed by Visa or Amex generally have fees (these are the disposable ones you can buy anywhere). There are other prepaid options such as Bluebird that are basically a self sustained debit and checking account.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

How do people retire early when there are penalties for withdrawing from 401ks/IRAs before a certain age?

My guess is you could withdraw "principal" from the ROTHS but my guess is there is some other work around.

Taxable accounts that are used to cover expenses until the "retirement" dates or passive income, as far as I can tell.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Get Rich Slowly used to have good content, but several years ago it was sold and the original content writers have been replaced. It is pretty close to worthless now in my opinion, even without the pseudoscientific/antiscience bs.

Edit: I'd be interested in the consulting thread.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Other than electronic stability control and side air bags, what significant safety features exist in a 2010 model year car vs a 2000 or 1990? I'm not under the impression that the actual construction of the cabin has changed significantly but I could be all wrong.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Everyone pick a BFC superstar and give me "advice" as if you were them.

Go buy a LOADED Nissan and don't even read the purchase agreement. You deserve it.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I suggest a pool table. If that's too rich for you, scorpion wall art is the fallback. Live it up.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

DNK posted:

Tangentially related: asparagus is a grass and grows ridiculously fast + spreads like wildfire. Also, it grows in nearly every climate (although the season is different). It's hard to get it to start, but once you do it's unstoppable.

One plot (2'x2') will give you more asparagus than you'll know what to do with. Which is when you take up Canning/pickling as a hobby.

This is surprising only because the way asparagus is generally priced made me think it was a precious metal or something. Thanks for the tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I wouldn't leave a job I liked for only $5000 but it might be worth it if $5000 is a meaningful percentage of your salary e.g. going from 30-35. I also generally wouldn't accept a counteroffer for so little if you were willing to leave for a small raise in the first place.