Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

No kids, but once I graduated college I tacked 13 years of full time work onto my stint as 2 there s a student worker. I'm worried about that gap growing and narrowing my chances because of absurd "rules"and "standards of HR.

I'm open to most I only have a few moral rules that rule out entire sectors or large parts of them
-- No law enforcement, or their supporters period
-- No defense industry or their supporters, unless it's
-- Not that consulting company. Yeah, that one.
-- Not the company that decided the opioid crisis was good for business.

You also could have been taking care of a sick family member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NoWake posted:

Started at a company working salary coming up on two years ago. Employment contract has no definite hours listed, just a motto to follow saying "we do whatever it takes". I averaged 48 hours/week in '23, and in two years earned a single sub-$2k bonus. I'm mostly doing back-office work, setting up projects and running budgets, occasionally on-site project management. Ownership has me clocking in on an app that tracks my location. I'm typically working from home.

On the heels of two 70-hour weeks, one on-site and one doing project reviews with ownership, I'm taking some time to stay with family, work remote out of my region and check out the eclipse. I'm up to date on all my tasks and projects. Ownership found out and is livid that I clocked out at 2 yesterday, "had no idea" what I was doing or where I was, even though my manager had approved my schedule in January and put it on the company calander.

Just today am getting in writing what my expected work hours are and how many hours I'm expected to put in per week. "10 hours a day, 50 hours a week", and "ask around for other tasks to do for others" if my workload happens to be less that week.

I've been a team player, I help others out all the time, put out fires, and I stay late when I'm needed to complete project reviews with ownership. (Sometimes they don't get around to working with me til noon or so, which of course pushes my day back when the job has to ship by Close of Business.) Friday, I had to wait and hold an hour while my boss talked to a painter working in his house. A few weeks before that, he tried starting up a 4-hour project review at 4:30pm, earlier he'd been at the airport switching out his long-term car rental. I had to be out the door by 5:45, and basically had to hang up on him. I put in a time-off request for a date 6pm-midnight the following week, and was told to knock that poo poo off.

So, anyway, this expectation that salaried employees work a minimum of 50 hours a week while getting paid a strict 40 strikes me as abusive. Especially when it's back-office work that can be planned around, especially when I'm working late due to ownership's personal errands/vacations, and then yelled at when I try and make my own plans after business hours. What say you, Goons? Is this something I should put up with or fight?

Just another vote for get the gently caress out.

If you think there's a chance of getting a referral later, or getting paid while being told not to work, put in two weeks' notice, but if you think the bridge is burned regardless, just call them the day you want to leave and tell them you're not coming in.

What country are you in, and are they not letting you take any time off at all, or is it just this one particular time they're upset about?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

Just another vote for get the gently caress out.

If you think there's a chance of getting a referral later, or getting paid while being told not to work, put in two weeks' notice, but if you think the bridge is burned regardless, just call them the day you want to leave and tell them you're not coming in.

What country are you in, and are they not letting you take any time off at all, or is it just this one particular time they're upset about?

Oh, and make sure you figure out what their PTO cashout policy is, along with any retirement or bonus vesting, etc.; start optimizing your exit strategy now, even if you don't end up executing it for a few months.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NoWake posted:

It's becoming clear, I'm in the US so leaving is likely the only course of action if I don't like it. The pushback I'm seeing is in direct response to me getting a backbone and trying to carve out a life outside of work hours. None of my peers really do, and I'm not trying to fill in their 2x divorced and heart-diseased footsteps. It's a family business and they pay a lot of lip to having a work-life balance, until the rubber hits the road and it's "No! Not like that". I understand when things are an emergency and we need to respond for our clients, but it's back-office stuff that can be taken care of whenever, wherever. Right now it's starting to look like they're building toward constructive dismissal. It's a small industry, but I'm betting I'll find a new spot that will take my skillset.

What is their paid time off policy? How many days a year do you get? Under what conditions are you allowed to take it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I have a Roth IRA with them. Are there any non-pain-in-the-rear end ways or non-fiscally-punitive ways to get my money from them into a different institution?

Vanguard will helpfully walk you through this process. I'm assuming Fidelity would, as well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's the deal with fraud protection on debit vs credit cards? With more businesses charging a fee for credit cards, I've been thinking of using my debit card more but I remember reading somewhere that they generally have less fraud protection if your card is lost/stolen or your card info is stolen. Aside from potentially missing out on CC rewards/cashback, are there any other reasons not to use a debit card?

Ostensibly, there is about as much fraud protection with a debit card as there is with a credit card. The fundamental difference is that if there's an issue with your credit card, it's an issue with the credit card company's money; if there's an issue with your debit card, there's an issue with your money. The smart way to do it is to have at least two credit cards, so if you have fraud on one that's taking some time to deal with, you've got your backup.

I don't even have a debit card, I just have an ATM card, and ATMs and my rare WinCo trips are pretty much the only places I use it. Use a credit card for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Space Fish posted:

Debit card bonuses would be more of a thing except Congress slashed how much issuers can charge for debit transactions, which means no budget for making debit use sexy. I have also noticed stores/restaurants adding an upcharge for credit and debit alike, even if debit should result in a much lower merchant fee.

Recent threats of legislation over credit card merchant fees have convinced Visa and MasterCard to agree to limit their merchant fees, which will likely have a chilling effect on the world of card points. We shall see!

On the fraud topic: I've had to call (Chase and Alliant) fraud departments before over bad charges on credit cards and they were wiped out instantly. A friend had something similar happen on their Fidelity debit card and it was solved pretty quickly. Don't know if all debit carriers can say the same.
Generally speaking, most debit card issues are resolved fairly quickly. I just don't feel the need to risk it, especially when the rewards for using a credit card are so much better.