Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I made soup out of a discount supermarket chicken the other day. It was really weird - normally if I boil a chicken for an hour or so, lots of fat bubbles to the surface and the meat falls off the bone. Hardly any fat came off of this chicken, and it was still really stiff after like 2 hours in the pot. Also it was flavorless.

I only eat meat once or twice a week for financial and environmental reasons. I'd rather drop my consumption even lower than eat a gross chicken like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Harry posted:

I would imagine the market for that is absurdly small. Then would get even smaller when someone's purchase gets rejected when the movie theater is coded as a grocery store by mistake.

This is why I think prize-linked savings accounts are far more elegant solution. It's crazy that they aren't widely available.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I have a completely retarded question. If I want to max out my 401k, and my employer has 5% matching, my contribution should be:

($17.5k/salary)-.05

right? What happens if you hit the contribution limit before the end of the year? Will Fidelity just not take the money?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ok, that makes it easy.

I'm about to turn 29, and I'm kicking myself for not maxing my contribution earlier.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah. I've had a good but suboptimal trajectory with my money, but it's weird to think about how much worse I'd be without a finance subforum on a comedy website.

I'm maxing my 401k and my Roth, and it feels good.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's 5% of our yearly income. We also have a pension plan, which I didn't even know about until last week.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

My friend's apartment burned down last week. Nobody hurt, but they're homeless and they lost all their stuff. I've been toying with the idea of buying a condo, but man, this is really making me reconsider the idea of owning property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I have zero debt, a healthy retirement account, and a down payment for a house saved up. And I'm cringing because I just dropped $1400 on a custom built musical instrument.