Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

drat Bananas posted:

My dad got phished out of his bank account info. Do credit unions not have to have a 24/7 fraud line?? I can’t find one that doesn’t eventually end at “We are currently closed. Our hours are….” It’s Texans Credit Union if anyone’s google-fu is better than mine. He’s freaking out really badly and I’m away from home and only on mobile so my searching is slow…

TELL YOUR IDIOT FAMILY TO NEVER GIVE THE CODE THAT YOU ARE TEXTED TO SOMEONE OVER THE PHONE! And tell Google to put the “Do not ever give this code to anyone” as the first line of that text and then a couple line breaks before the code. Oy.

This says it's their fraud line

972.348.2000 or 800.843.5295

Sorry man, we should really be doing better protecting older folks from getting scammed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hutzpah posted:

I have what may be a very dumb question. I need to pull a few thousand out of my brokerage account to cover a large purchase. The money in that account is from a number of purchases over the past 10 years. How do I choose what lots to actually sell? Do I sell ones that gained money (and pay short term/long term capital gains) or do I sell ones that lost money and use the capital losses to cancel out some gains from earlier in the year?

Almost always better to harvest those losses. Reduce your tax burden.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

moana posted:

Hard disagree. It's not reducing tax, it's postponing it, and if you have the option to harvest gains at a 0% rate, it's a no-brainer to take the gains. Even at 15%, these are historically low cap gains rates, and I'm guessing we see a hike on those rates in the next couple decades. If you think your AGI will increase in the future or tax rates will increase, it makes a lot of sense to lock in a low 15% tax rate now.

This all depends on the person's agi and future predictions of their personal tax rate and the federal tax rate, of course. But I think it's wrong to say that taking losses is the default best option.

Ok, at 0% bracket it's definitely true, thanks for pointing that out. Any rule against someone in that bracket with investments just resetting their basis every year?

I'm on vacation and not at a desktop to play with spreadsheets at all, but at 15%+ I believe the compounding opportunity cost of paying taxes "up front" is going to quickly overwhelm the possibility of taxes being higher in the future, even at fairly minimal annual return expectations. And also setting aside the fact that hopefully we're saving until retirement, when incomes will probably be low enough to be in the bottom or near bottom brackets. Or even saving until death to pass down to our kids.

And if we have 3k of net losses to take, can offset that against income. Although to be fair, I don't think the person here is talking about being able to take a net loss, just offsetting some gains.

It's a rule of thumb, but trying to always minimize your current tax burden works out pretty well for enough situations that I'm not sure it merits a "hard disagree" :)

Baddog
May 12, 2001
The daily discussion thread should definitely have a link to our feedback thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020879

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Cacafuego posted:

Is there an easy way to do manufactured spending anymore? I gave up years ago after Walmart got rid of all their bluebird kiosks

And those target redcards, man that was fun.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Bird flu has been so bad that eggs here (colorado), have gone from being rationed to just not being available at all lately. When they are in stores, prices are heading over $6/dozen. Feels pretty crazy - is it like this everywhere?

I believe mass culling has been going on for awhile (2 years?). At this point it seems possible we are past "a really bad bird flu season", and into some sort of chicken apocalypse. Farmers are having trouble changing practices to keep it at bay now? Is this the new normal, and we're just going to have to learn to live in a society where only the elite can afford to get an egg on their hamburger?

Beyond my wife telling me that if the costco five-dozen-egg-crate is available, grab it (the gently caress are we gonna do with 60 eggs?), I am mostly concerned about knock on inflation effects. A dozen eggs are in the CPI, but also this has to percolate up through "food away from home" as well. I'm guessing restaurants are moving to egg substitutes pretty fast though. "Just Egg" is actually cheaper at these prices than real eggs.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

spwrozek posted:

We did just get hosed by Suncor loving up their refinery in Commerce City. Gas was down to like $2.50 and now it is back up to $3.09+. That sucked.

Man, they gotta move that thing at some point right? Its crazy that denver has grown around it, and now we've got a refinery that can't keep their poo poo in check (at all) pretty much right in the middle of town.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Here, there’s a little colored graph and everything:

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/pybshellegg.pdf

Shows much less regional variation than I thought there was! I looked back and the mass cullings started October '21, so "only" 15 months. Wholesale prices seem to have started up in March/April.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
We went a loooooong time without merging all the accounts. (poo poo, I think I still need to get her name on one or two).

She was paying the mortgage and utilities, and I got everything else. It just kinda flows that way sometimes, as you get older and bring more assets to a relationship. She had the house, I had equities, kinda worked out.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

EPICAC posted:

What’s the current recommendation for asset allocations in retirement accounts for early 40s (41 & 42)? I’m in the middle of maxing+back dooring IRA contributions (2022 done today, 2023 next month when bonus hits + RSUs vest).

We were at 90/10 until our late 30s. I’ve been trying to rebalance with contributions, but right now we’re sitting at ~15% bonds across Roths and 401k. I’m planning on manually rebalancing after 2023 contributions next month.

I'm curious to hear. You might want to ask the long term thread. Over the past decade or so, I think consensus was probably that 15% was right where you wanted to be at this point. Or even less, given that you could hardly get any return from bonds.

But the yield on bonds has gotten pretty good lately! Not a bad time to pick some up.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Your brokerage would have to be involved in some serious fraud, or the whole financial house of cards tumbling down for your account to be lost/covered by SIPC. The assets are in your name, and while the brokerage may loan those assets out, they should be recoverable.

SIPC stepped in for events on the order of MF Global, Madoff, Lehman brothers.

btw, that goddamn rear end in a top hat Jon Corzine of MF Global. Cannot believe he escaped pretty much unscathed. Only a $5 million fine and a "lifetime ban" from CFTC markets. The last time I looked him up, wikipedia was describing him as a "philanthropist". I made my one and only edit to strike that poo poo out of there, and I'm glad to see no one has had the balls to put it back.

But somehow even with the lifetime ban, he's got another hedge fund going - https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1gpg14h7x90zd/Jon-Corzine-Wants-a-Comeback-After-Blowing-Up-MF-Global-Allocators-Say-Nope

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I've used a lot of those prepaid visas, and haven't had a bad experience... beyond having to pay the surcharge. I always figured most of the people who had issues with them didn't realize you need to actually get them activated. Not just run out of the store with a handful.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Can someone link the specific reddit action in question?

Thia is the CEO's ama - https://www.reddit.com/r/reddit/comments/145bram/addressing_the_community_about_changes_to_our_api

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'm sorry, the whole "bitching about the bill and haggling over it" part sucks. I saw someone with an elderly parent who just hired someone to fight this poo poo for them, but that sort of skill set doesn't seem to be something you can just find on Yelp quite yet.

When I got balance billed I told them to gently caress right off I would never pay, and told the surgeon if he sent me to collections over it i would sue him. But that seems extreme for 1.5k.

(Balance billing is illegal in Colorado, but I guess if your insurance is out of state they can't do anything about it? This surgeon had set up an entire separate practice for people who fell into his trap at the ER).

Baddog
May 12, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

loving pathologist at a surgery center was setup like this. All in network and planned. He isn't in network with any insurance though and is just the preferred provider for the surgery center. His whole phone tree and scripts are setup to trick people into paying. It's insane the number of people they definitely trick into paying hundreds or thousands of dollars in illegal bills.

gently caress the system don't pay poo poo until everything is itemized and you've talked through it with you insurance.

All so shady. This guy was actually in network at that hospital for planned surgeries, but had a separate "practice" for when he got called in for emergencies on people with out of state insurance. Seems so unethical.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Please go get your chest pain checked out tho. I've been there too, and shrugged it off until I could get an appointment with my PCP. But drat, it was kinda dumb, and if we keep doing that it will catch us one of these days. Getting old sucks, everything aches and it's hard to tell "is this a regular slept on it wrong ache or an oh gently caress kind of a thing"

Dealing with the bill is painful, but not potentially deadly.

I am curious if someone has gone to urgent care for chest pain, did they just get sent right on to the ER.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
At 19 you're like oh poo poo this is the worst pain I've ever felt oh gently caress me.

And then at 50 you're shrugging off a massive heart attack cus it kinda just feels like that one time and that ended up being nothing. Just need to lay down for a sec.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

moana posted:

My.mom and sister just lost both their houses in the maui fire. They are all safe. What the gently caress can I even do for them? Sorry for downer posting, I just need a hug today.

Goddamn that sucks Moana. Glad they are safe. Looks like an absolutely devastating poo poo show over there right now.

I hope the government gets on top of organizing help and supplies over there. Hopefully hotels will take people in. Tourists should be cancelling for the next few weeks, at a minimum.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
So sorry Moana. Terrible.

Looks like Southwest and Hawaiian are offering pretty much free inter-island flights (19 bucks) if your family would be better off getting off Maui for now. I dunno, but Oahu has to have more resources/avail housing? Maybe?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

How is everyone estimating what they might be spending in retirement?

I'm freaking out being behind some dumb throwaway "Have 3x your income in retirement savings by the time you're 40" rule of thumb sentiment. Is this assuming that I want the same level of income at retirement? In my mind we're in a good (enough) spot assuming nothing catastrophic happens between now and retirement, but I see stuff like that and internalize that we're straight hosed.

I think most of it comes from earning significantly more in the last couple of years, greatly increasing retirement contributions, and since the market has been hot garbage it seems we're not making any progress. I know this stuff takes time but it's a little mentally defeating.

It's just a rough benchmark, don't freak out about it too much. But if it gets you saving more, then it's a good thing.

The good thing right now is that you have a little choice in investment again, don't have to dump your savings blindly into the stock market to try for decent returns. You can get 7 or 8% with some pretty low risk long dated bonds.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there like a starting a business thread or anything? I'm still on the step of making sure my idea is vaguely feasible, and I'm not 100% sure if I'm even thinking about all the right things to check. I live in a rural area full of pretty mountains a couple hours north of NYC, and I'm thinking of opening something that's partway between a campground and a bed and breakfast : the idea would separate rentable cabins on a mess of land with a more central house where guests can get a home cooked meal. Think rustic resort for people not trying to break the bank.

I've looked into financing, and that seems okay so far or at least not too bad. The state is trying to increase that kind of tourism so I have a good shot at subsidized loans. Zoning is a whole process (obviously) but I've gone through the relevant laws for the places I'm looking at and that also seems feasible (if annoying). I've got some people who might be interested in going in on the scheme with me, so I think we're good in terms of construction and actually running the place. Land is actually pretty cheap right now with some good acreage for sale.

I'm assuming there are going to be some titanic problems with this, I'm just trying to figure out what they might be. In fact, there are good odds that it's a crazy idea and I just haven't realized that yet. Can anyone point me to some other things to look into to see if this idea has any legs?

Sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask.

I'd be interested in an entrepreneur thread. Insurance is always something that people tend to forget, and is way more expensive than you think it would be.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Got a letter from LexisNexis saying "we added some negative poo poo to your file lolol"

When you call to try to figure out what it is, before you can talk to anyone, they attempt to get you to record you saying basically every goddamn detail of your life for "verification". SSN, DOB, drivers license, etc etc... in your own drat voice. I tried to bypass as much as I could, and I still feel uncomfortable doing it. What happens if *they* get hacked?

Plugging all that info into their web page just gets you your report snail mailed to you. I went to figure out wtf mistake they made and start fighting it asap, but they make it incredibly hard!

edit - Apparently they send the letter if you have more than 8 pulls in the last 12 months, even soft. And every time I looked at my credit score on american express' site, it was a soft pull. I thought that was coming off of amex existing data!

Anyways, I'm sure they will change the number soon, but for now if anyone needs a direct line

LexisNexis Consumer Center
1-888-497-0011

They try to get you to give everything down to drivers license to "verify' your identity, but you can tell them to gently caress off after giving social/address/phone #.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 22, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Cacafuego posted:

We’re at about 83% retirement/9.5% investment/7.5% cash, assuming investment doesn’t include rental property equity.

I think you should absolutely include rental property in investments!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Strong Sauce posted:

how are you guys pulling those numbers.. do you already have all your assets in a spreadsheet.. should i be doing that..?

i was actually going to bring this up since i haven't done this yet..

It's work, but I update the spreadsheet every month to feel like I'm staying on top of everything.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
17% tax advantaged
82% investment (include my primary resident equity in here as well)
1% cash/equivalents

Baddog
May 12, 2001

just_a_person posted:

I found out that a company I worked at previously is IPOing. I have like ~20k share options that I have vested and exercised shortly before I left. I know there's been several rounds of funding since, and thus, the % I own of the company has been diluted, but does that mean that once the lockup period is over, I am able to sell all ~20k shares on the open market? I have friends still at the company saying that they were thinking the total number of employee shares will get dropped by 5-10x because of dilution (i.e., I will only have 2-4k shares), but that doesn't seem right.

Depends on how it's run. You're going to get diluted, but usually that's through them issuing more shares, not dividing yours.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

just_a_person posted:

....or he knows most people with little industry experience doesn't know how it works, which is probably true because everyone at my first company was all from academia and it was their first industry job.

Yah it's this unfortunately. You can sometimes negotiate to get the class of shares with more rights (try to get the same class that the founders have, hah).

But yah they are banking on you being "I have 200,000 shares and stock usually trades in the 20-100 range, I'm gonna be so loving rich". Sad trombone noises when it ends up being worth 20k. Still, better than nothing. All my pre-ipo shares are toilet paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Something weird definitely happened, you gotta pull your report and dispute whatever it is...