Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

12 days from the end of the month and my eating out budget is pretty much blown. Guess I'll have to do better next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

DNK posted:

Naw that sounds about right. Living (mostly) alone and packing my own lunches I run around $500/mo for food+booze+restaurants.

Seriously? I'm at $200 groceries (including housewares bought at the grocery store) and $75 eating out.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

pig slut lisa posted:

You haven't even begun to save money

Real men only drink the finest Russian Baltimore vodka. $10 / handle is good with money, right?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

spwrozek posted:

What is the go to online (or not) bank for checking with no fees, atm reimbursement, FDIC, no international atm issues, etc?
Schwab

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You could be investing that $1. The BWM is coming from inside the thread.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Both Transunion and Experian tell me I have to call them up to get my credit report and they said that last year too and I just skipped it because it seemed super annoying but I probably shouldn't let it go this time...

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Scionix posted:

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have recently quit my job voluntarily, and am now basically looking to move to somewhere I hate less. I can post what I do for a living, what I want as far as a living situation goes, etc, etc, but don't want to type it all out if this is the wrong thread. Should I ask somewhere else?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's your question, exactly?
I think Scionix is asking for recommendations for a new place to live. I don't know what the proper thread for that is.

Edit: sniped

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 24, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm a single adult. In just a bit under 7 years of logging everything in YNAB, I've spent $15,828.41, or an average of $198 per month. That doesn't include restaurants. The only times when I can consistently get my grocery spending under $200 / month is when I've worked in grocery stores or restaurants (free produce or shift meals) or eat almost exclusively from the bulk bins.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

After you turn 65, HSA money can be used for anything, not just qualified health expenses. Max it out if you can.

Here's the r/personal finance flowchart

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Anyone have any suggestions for getting better about spending money and feeling ok with what, by all objective measurements, is an amount of wealth well beyond most Americans? I earn an obscene amount of money at a tech job, live well below my means and save a ton, and I'm still terrified of losing my job, being destitute, etc. Like, obviously, therapy is the answer, but we're currently doing other important things there. I'm trying to outrace the terror by sprinting to my FIRE number, but ... that's addressing a symptom.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Roth IRA / Trad 401k is a fairly common pattern, I think. The goal is to have differently taxable buckets to pull from depending on what your expected tax bill will be?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's a tamper monkey script that auto bypasses the virtual keyboard, so you can autofill with a password manager. It makes login painless, at least. Still a terribly lovely UI once you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Have you considered a second job?