Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jows
May 8, 2002

My grandmother (Dad's mom) recently passed away. My dad died 10 years ago so my sister and I "get" to settle her estate. We're meeting with the lawyer next week, but is there anything in particular I should ask about? Stuff that gets easily missed?
My grandma left us a house in a trust, (filled with stuff - I guess there's services that manage estate sales and stuff, right?), a car (with a note still on it), and a couple insurance policies. Should be fairly straight forward, especially with the lawyer's help, but I don't want to miss something obvious that my sister and I need to do.

Is there a thread for this type of thing? I didn't really see one that seemed appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

It's like getting sketchy looking third party links in an unsolicited email that link to your mandatory corporate cyber security/anti-phishing training. Like, c'mon people.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Just find a dealer and use cash, man.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I had some on auto roll at Fidelity and the debt ceiling fuckery cancelled it, so I just put my money in SGOV instead

Jows
May 8, 2002

I went to urgent care once with chest pain. They hooked me up to an EKG and I was fine. Ended up going to ER later that night because it felt like there was a piece of rebar going through my chest. Turns out it was just a real bad cold.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

So my father passed away recently and we are trying to figure out what to do with his vehicle. Ultimately we need an SUV with a third row so we can fit my mother, wife and our 2 kids in one vehicle. What would be the most legal/tax advantaged way to handle this?

Does she gift me the car, then I could trade it in/sell it? The car is worth more than $17,000; so there would be some tax issues there I believe.

Do I buy the car from her for $1?

Does she just come with me to trade in the car and the dealership apply the value to my purchase?

Far and away the easiest thing is for your mother to be a part of the transaction rather than insert yourself as a middle man, giving money to the state for no reason through taxes. And you can't just buy the car for $1 dollar, your state will probably have a tax table based on the age/model/class of the vehicle.

Jows
May 8, 2002

DNK posted:

You don’t need a sale transaction at all. You just need to transfer the title. Transferring the title can be done at whatever local DMV your county has and will cost some money. If the title was in your fathers name and now he’s dead, you may need a death certificate and the asset’s new owner (likely your mom?) to participate in the transaction.

“Gift tax” is only a thing when the giver has exceeded some loony number like $13,000,000 of total lifetime gifts; do not worry about tax consequences of gifts unless you’re a powerball winner or something.

When my grandmother died the state basically forced me to effectively buy the car from the estate (me and my sis) and had to pay sales tax on that transaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

Yeah, I got screwed because the car wasn't specifically listed in her will or something like that. DMV lady said if my dad was still alive it wouldn't have been an issue.