Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

spwrozek posted:

Don't feel too bad. The wife just bought a $270 pair of Steve Maddens today.

Don't they sell Maddens in Target? How is that even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

This is just a ploy to get them to move out right?

right?

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Bugamol posted:

I took up golfing.

What have I done. :shepspends:

I've been looking for an evening scramble-style couples league and luckily for my budget I have yet to find one nearby.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I know a dude that maxed his student loans and used the excess for a house down payment. He rented 3 rooms and made enough to cover the payment, and the student loan interest. It feels stupid, but also feels really clever in some bravado sense.

He also had the option of being gifted a stipend through college, or a '01 Porsche Carrera. You can guess which he chose.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

You could do some canoe portaging trails in your homeland hahaha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_canoe_routes

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm working on an app to help executors manage estates (I've been an executor for 2 estates in the past 2 years and I've found (a) it's exhausting (b) there don't seem to be any great resources for this work short of hiring a lawyer/accountant/trust company (c) as a well educated english speaker w/ a background in finance I am probably more well equipped than most to do this work and even I found it difficult), and have some basic ideas on what I'd like to build.

I just went through this an I think a basic TurboTax style help guide to go over first steps, probate court considerations, and things like claims would have been amazing, even just organizationally. Obviously I had I lawyer, but there were still a lot of roadmap sort of overview questions that he didn't bother to really humanize.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Man, I should be stoked about our earnings increase last month but we got our dicks knocked in the dirt bad

In one month:
$1600 for flights for emergency funeral services
$1200 in vet bills after dog ran into traffic
$500 to remove broken trees before monsoon season
$1400 in car repairs

Since we didn't have to dig much deeper into debt, I guess that's worth celebrating. But god drat we are poor all of the sudden. I can't wait for next payday to just start dumping 2k+ at debt barring more of this bullshit. Fingers crossed.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

We live near an Intel plant and literally all of our friends pull in 70-150k a year. All single with no kids. Its kind of a bummer we have to turn down offers to go to events as frequently as we do, but over time people have gotten a feel for what we usually come out for.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Of all my yuppie friends, only one owns a house, and he rents out 2 rooms to friends. I think there is a cultural shift with millennials, in which a house can be a huge weight keeping you from being dynamic in the workplace. The stability of a home is kind of lessened when you weigh the issues it can cause to a young career.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I postulate that yearly income and willingness to discuss specifics are an inverse relationship.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

SiGmA_X posted:

I would definitely get an EIN and perhaps a DBA, though. But skip the LLC.

Agreed. This would take less than an hour of your time and cost about $15. It also provides roughly the same protections and rights as sole proprietor/partnership LLC.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Related reading:
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/personal-liability-piercing-corporate-veil-33006.html

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

We just hit 100k in Ally which is one one hand amazing, on the other... Some opportunity cost vs brokerage.

I'm curious what y'all do with long term savings goals in brokerage.

I love buckets and allocations in Ally. Is there some simple equivalent to virtual buckets in a brokerage? Even if it's a spreadsheet. Tracking cost basis of percentages of contributions sounds like a nightmare and I don't want it to become some giant slush fund. Or brokerage is Fidelity btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

My fuzzy understanding is that there is a difference in coverage between whether the transaction itself is run as credit or debit even on the same card. Debit can only be run with a physical card and pin anyway afaik.

Despite this I've also never known of businesses treating debit as a cash transaction for pricing perks or transaction fees. I assume they are paying network fees regardless?