Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You could like, plan ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I would imagine the market for that is absurdly small. Then would get even smaller when someone's purchase gets rejected when the movie theater is coded as a grocery store by mistake.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

Is that not a thing in the US? Here in the UK we can just set up a regular standing order to any other account free of charge. Weird.

All the large banks can do it.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Sundae posted:

How do you guys handle the never-ending stream of "one time" expenses? My wife and I do great on the general budgeting, eating out, groceries / shopping / whatevers. What inevitably murders us, or has for the last two years, is travel associated with one-time events like weddings, baptisms, funerals, etc. It's only June and we've attended six weddings out of state already, with three more later this year and several more we know are coming next year but haven't RSVP'd for yet. It seriously adds up in a hurry.

We can afford these things (and everyone in our family/social circle knows it, unfortunately), but it's still not Good With Money(tm) to attend them all. Do I just have to start telling people no?

Go to an airlines webpage that you like/know will fly to the area and do their cc bonus offer. This is usually a free round trip, or two if you luck out. Then go to a hotel chain website and get one of their cards. With this you get 3-7 nights free, and usually one free night anywhere once a year (thinking IHG specifically). Your wife can do this as well. With this you can pretty much weather season and spend nearly nothing.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I thought 5k deductibles were killed off with obamacare.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

I own a rental property that I'm trying to sell, so I recently had the tenants move out after we refused to renew the lease. I just learned that they hadn't paid their water bill in months, and the water company came after me. I went ahead and paid the bill, but what recourse do I have against the former tenants? Aside from asking nicely, is small claims court the only way I'll get the money back?

Virtually none worth your time. Always pay the water bill yourself since that can result in a lean on your property.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I brought up the Prenup Conversation today and the fiancee has absolutely lost her poo poo that I'm "already thinking it's not gonna work out", and thinks I'm crazy for considering this since "we're not celebrities"

But it doesn't seem like that bad an idea... We're both in our mid 30's, but our net worths are $1M vs $0 (savings roughly equal to current debt) and income is $120k vs $60k.

Anyone ever managed to have The Talk without it blowing up the engagement?

Of course she's going to say that since she has nothing.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

One person has a million dollars, the other is broke/most likely has CC debt. Not sure how you goons don't think neither side would want to mention it.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

So as an Ally customer, I’d have to withdraw everything, register and the push back in?

Likely will have a lookback period. This is just a reward to people who hopped over to higher interest rate accounts.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

nwin posted:

Need a quick reality check:

In the midst of the government shutdown, USAA (my bank) is offering certain individuals the opportunity to take out a one-year loan at .01% interest as long as monthly payments are setup through them.

As long as I ensure there is money in the account to make the monthly payments and get the loan paid off in one year, is there any reason I shouldn't take a loan out for $10k, throw it in my Ally savings account, and reap the profit of 1.99% in interest over a year on 10k? There is no cap on how much I can take the loan out for, just a minimum amount of $2500.

A bunch of plans were posted on reddit and basically all of them will automatically sweep direct deposits as payments. Make sure that's not the case or you'd be wasting your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

nwin posted:

Got a link? Mine is just a 1-year private loan at .01% with automatic monthly payments set up to pay it back on time.

Here’s the NFCU. USAA has the same deal. If yours specifically says 1 year, then it’s probably fine.

https://www.navyfederal.org/about/government-shutdown.php