Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Did someone just finish up paying off $25k in credit card debt today? Why yes, yes I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Thanks, it feels awesome!

I stopped using the credit cards I had in May 2010 (incidentally, it got shut off at the end of a two week trip to China because they thought charges in Beijing and Shanghai and Xi'an were fine, but Maccau had to be fake....I just never called to open it back up again). I was in grad school until May 2011 so I was making the minimum payments until then. So, just over three years. It could have been faster, but I spent money on trips and other experiences, always in cash I had on hand and never on credit.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I had to remove several accounts from Mint. I kept getting locked out of certain accounts for exceeding the login tries because Mint kept messing up.

Here's a question: Let's say you have some amount of money that's unspoken for in your budget. You owe a decent amount on student loans, no other debt. You have a $5k emergency fund, no other savings other than 401k/traditional IRA. How would you, personally, break up that extra money between general savings and student loan payoff?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

OK I guess this needs more detail. I'm pretty sure I'll know what BFC will say (hammer the loans) but the lack of savings scares me a bit...

Extra money each month not budgeted: $1800
Emergency Fund: $5100
Other Savings: $300
401k: 8% of salary (get full match at 6%)
IRA: none

Student Loan 1: $17,200 (6.8%) - $256.36/month minimum
Student Loan 2: $15,400 (4.25%) - $126.34/month minimum
Student Loan 3: $2,950 (5%) - $79/month (paid quarterly)

So I pay $462/month on student loans. My plan was to make that an even $1k, applying the extra $538/month on the biggest loan and pay it off in two years, then snowball it and knock out the other two in a year and a half. Meanwhile, I'd be building my savings and be able to increase my 401k, max out my Roth and save for a new car.

Edit: tax implications don't matter, I make too much to deduct the interest

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

According to my Chase year-end statement, I spent $6990 on restaurants and bars last year. Oops

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I get 100% of the first 1%, then 50% of the next 5% I contribute, so 3.5% on 6% in total. No vesting, either, so not too bad. And we get a pension still!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Random question, not sure if it fits in this thread or not. I'm a product manager for a large transportation and logistics company. I would like to move into software product management (well, it seems ALL PM work is now in software at this point), but a major sticking point is my lack of agile development experience. Agile only seems to make sense for software-type products or services. So, since my company uses the waterfall method of product development, what's the best way to gain some meaningful experience? I have lost out on several job opportunities for the sole reason that I lack agile experience. Frankly, it's getting frustrating. Like non-Agile PMs are obsolete now

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Does anyone have experience with a Portable Pension Account(PPA)? I have one with an old employer, I'm fully vested with a current balance of $31k. It just sits there, and I believe I can move it to a traditional IRA (and avoid all taxes for now) or into a Roth IRA (and pay income tax now). Assuming I'm reading the documentation correctly.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone ever look at your finances and just go "mother of God...." and think you're failing? Or look at your budget and see the amount you could save and think it's just not enough, even though ten years ago you'd kill to save that amount?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

H110Hawk posted:

We're doing once maybe twice a week depending on how hectic the day went, with enough for leftovers to eat for lunch the next day. We're also avoiding chains. I hear people at work talking about supporting their local restaurants... like Panera. :stare:

Oddly enough our amazon credit card bill for last month was $45, which is shockingly low.

spwrozek posted:

That is pretty funny. All the places we hit up are local thankfully. I don't even know of a chain within walking distance. Probably a Starbucks but you would pass 3 other non chain coffee shops.

I mean, local people work at chain restaurants too. I'm not saying local places don't deserve more attention given everything going on, but don't discount the local impacts of a chain closing too

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

I don't think you understand the extent to which California real estate is hosed up due to the property tax scheme and how much that is amplified in the bay area due to mid level software developers and product managers making $300k while burning VC money.

.....what. How in the world......

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Product managers are the top of the pile in bay area VC tech as far as ICs go.

Yes, it's as insane as it sound. But they get to walk around being "the idea guy".

I'm flabbergasted. I run a team of product managers in Florida, and I don't make anywhere remotely close to that. Not even half of that.

Maybe I should look for a remote PM job there. I get it won't be that full amount, but has to be better than what I'm making. Plus my company just merged with/got bought out by another, and our options/stock are being paid out.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Yeah I've worked at big, Fortune 100 places and sub-100-person shops, they've just all been in low cost of living places so I guess my experience doesn't align well with firms on the coasts. I've had recruiters from Amazon reach out every so often but I've always said I wasn't interested, maybe I should be? My knowledge of Amazon is a culture where you are worked to the bone then put on a PIP right before your vesting cliff.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

My wife and I probably spend around $500-$600/month. It's less when I do more of the shopping, but it depends if I'm cooking good poo poo or not too.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

ObsidianBeast posted:

A fun story about how it never hurts to ask:

I worked for a startup for a few years, so I had some stock options that had vested. I decided to leave in November 2020, and had 90 days to decide if I wanted to exercise my options. Buying all of the vested options would have cost me roughly a month's salary on essentially a gamble. I decided to buy half, so I filled out the form online and mailed the check to the address listed. At the end of the 90 days, I was informed that the exercise of the options was cancelled because they never received my check. I honestly wasn't too heartbroken about this (again, it was a gamble) so I just wrote it off and told the bank to not let the check cash.

Fast forward 6 months, and that company gets bought by a much larger company. I take a day to kick myself over not following up on the exercise of the options, but then I came to the conclusion that I made the best decision for me at the time with the knowledge I had, and I can't consider it a bad decision based on the outcome.

A couple weeks ago, I told this story to a friend while we were catching up, and he told me to email their finance and legal team and just explain that I tried to exercise the options and see what they say. I was so sure that they would say "too bad", but it took me 3 minutes to write an email just laying out the facts, so I sent it. I got an auto-response that the person was on vacation, which solidified in my mind that I would likely not hear anything.

Well, it turns out that they sent a formal letter saying that while they cannot convert my options to the new company, they can give me the difference in value! I'm blown away that it was that easy, so instead of having nothing, I got a nice unexpected bonus.

Come on, you can't leave us hanging....how much was it?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

ObsidianBeast posted:

$26k. I was considering not saying the amount, but gently caress it. I think it's important for people to know what to expect from being an employee at acquired startups. It's a fantastic amount for me, and I'm giddy with excitement about what we can do with that money, but I think there's a perception that it's "retire now" kind of money. That's only for founders or investors.

Hey, so long as Options Payout > (3/60)xHourly Rate, it was worth it.

I'm on my second startup (both "de-risked" as they say). At the first one, after they raised Series B, they opted to not give out any options to anyone under VP-level. They did, however, let us purchase stock, up to a certain amount. I did $5k, walked away with $19k after taxes when the company was acquired a year later. And then I got a $50k deal bonus on top of it, which blew my mind. Newly-formed company post-acquisition also made the brilliant decision to offer zero equity to people (except some hush-hush options to a few people; I had options tentatively worth low six figures, but I also felt they would never pay out).

The only people I've seen get "gently caress you, I'm retiring" money have been the founders and the growth equity companies that invest. Everyone else, maybe you can buy a car with it

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

I'm not saying it happens all the time, but it happens more than you think.

Hey I certainly hope it happens more than I think, I'd love it if my equity turned into seven figures

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Alignment on philosophy, goals/objectives, etc. is way, way more important than the nuts and bolts of # of accounts and stuff like that. For us, we keep separate checking and savings accounts, and use a joint account for mortgage and household bills, as well as a joint emergency fund and general savings account for things like trips, large purchases, etc. We make sure we are both contributing to our retirement accounts, and we discuss anything that'll take money out of savings. We're each the beneficiary on the other's various accounts. It works for us

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We've had separate bank accounts since we got together (10+ years) and it works fine for us. Every month she deposits her portion of the mortgage and bills. I pay the mortgage and some bills, she pays the others. We have a joint emergency fund, joint savings, and then she does what she wants with her money and I do what I want with mine.

I now make significantly more than her, so I've taken on more of the monthly stuff

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What's y'alls ratio of retirement:investments:cash? I got curious and looked at mine and was quite surprised: 90% retirement/8.7% investments/1.3% cash.

I feel like my cash should be a bit higher than it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Cacafuego posted:

We’re at about 83% retirement/9.5% investment/7.5% cash, assuming investment doesn’t include rental property equity.

Baddog posted:

I think you should absolutely include rental property in investments!

I'm not including property in my calculations, but rental property is a different beast. Maybe a fourth category?

Xenoborg posted:

67% Retirement
28% Investment
5% Cash

% of Cash could go lots of ways depending on your age and how much you have in retirement, X number of months of living expenses is the usual way to talk about it.

I feel like this is a better ratio for me. I'm early 40s, but I've pretty much been contributing to my 401k and little to investments until recently. Cash is rough because we save up for things, spend it on those things, and start over. I'll also note that this is my personal cash accounts, not our joint checking, joint savings, or joint emergency fund.

Ralith posted:

This is a confusing breakdown. Are your retirement assets not invested?

Good point. I look at it like retirement is for when I stop working in my late 60s/early 70s; investments are for 5-15 years from now, and cash is 1-5 years.