Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Unbeknownst to her, I switched my wife from Stoli to Smirnoff, which will save $600+ annually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

So I'm applying for jobs and one person, I guess them recruiter or HR asked me if a certain salary was OK in an email. Is that legally binding? Do I say yes in hopes that makes me look like a candidate they don't need to pay as much? Do I want that? (Entry position)

Check out the thread on salary negotiations but a good general response to something like that would be to say that it depends on the benefits package to include things like health insurance, retirement, paid leave, etc. It's definitely not binding until you've got a signed offer letter. And you can almost certainly assume that they're lowballing you.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I've been a DirecTV customer for 6-7 years, and my bill has slowly crept up to about $115/mo. Realistically I'm not ready to go cold turkey, but we have a new provider (gigabit fiber Internet + TV, no contract) that will be live within 6-12 months and I'll be switching to them. If I call DirecTV and tell them I want to cancel based on "it's too expensive" can I expect that they'll offer me a discounted rate for a certain period of time with no contract extension?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

tuyop posted:

Did you take a huge break from logging over Christmas as well?

hosed if I'm going to weigh and track all these silly cheese hors d'oeuvres.
That's a good indication that you shouldn't be eating them, then. I don't mean from a moral or even health perspective, but for the 3-4 months that I got serious about eating well I would shun [almost] anything that I couldn't account for.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Also, see if your existing auto insurance policy covers you on a rental. In the rare cases where it doesn't, see if you have a credit card that offers free rental insurance.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I know insurance is cheap where I live, but I pay about the same monthly for 3 vehicles, including an older M3 and a late model Lexus. And drat, $325 HOA fees on a $716 mortgage that includes insurance and taxes? $117 on a phone? That's not just one line is it?

Sorry man, not trying to kick you while you're down but it seems like you're flushing a lot of cash down the toilet.

e: numbers

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 3, 2015

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Best to avoid garage chains like Firestone and the like in my experience. Try to find a smaller shop. Ask around for recs. Hell, I bet someone in Automotive Insanity can give you a name or two.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
... so I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time...

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

C-Euro posted:

I started my first salaried position (after being hourly) a few weeks ago and luckily my boss understands what a 40-hour workweek is, he fucks off every day at 5:01 and doesn't seem to care if I'm packing up at the same time. Then again he may or may not also get in a half-hour early each morning, but hasn't asked me to do the same.

It's a "shame" that in that 40-hour workweek I'm lucky to have 20 hours of actual work things to do, any advice for stuff I can work on for personal development that isn't necessarily job-specific? I picked up a part-time gig as a freelance science journal editor for downtimes at work but they're laughably bad about sending me assignments.

Just from the little bit that you wrote, I'm wondering if a salaried job is "for you" career-wise. If this is just a short-term, paying-the-bills thing you can feel free to dismiss this, but as a salaried employee I feel that it's my duty to give my best effort to the company, at least within the confines of that 40 hour week, and more often than not a few hours beyond that. I don't mean to sound patronizing, but if your first instinct is to only do what is asked of you, even if you're doing good work, you don't sound like a great fit for the job. I don't mean to imply that it's all on you; the culture of the company might be poo poo, in which case you're still not a great fit for the job since it's apparently a lovely job.

Not trying to chide you or go Lumbergh on you, or say that you can't improve yourself, just hoping that you'll evaluate your perspective.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
When you're new to any job it takes a while to find your groove. My first few months at this job I was bored as poo poo and literally counting the minutes until 5:00. Eventually I found my stride and have been called up to the bigs, so to speak, within the company. Just make sure you are looking for those opportunities. If you're not finding them, it's probably not the place for you.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
A lot of you guys have lovely jobs. I've been there.

spwrozek posted:

Lots of hours says nothing about work quality.

Yup. Too many people think effort and value are 1:1.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Sitting in an office, spending most of my time asleep or on the internet, and occasionally rubber stamping something: My Paradise.

One Goon Who Dared to Dream

I'm still holding out for Bikini Inspector. Already got the shirt and everything.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
If KG could bill $10/hr for the time he's spent loving around in that thread he could retire today with all the coke and Camaros one could want.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Any reason to not use Affirm 0% financing for a four-figure purchase? Can I make those payments with a credit card so I can still get those rewards? I can afford to pay outright but I’d rather let the funds earn interest in a HYSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
It’s 0% for 12 months on a $5000 purchase. So that’s what, $100 assuming 4.25% out of my HYSA? But $100 is also what I’d earn via 2% cash back (with no tax implications) so if I can’t get cash back on the Affirm payments (if they require bank transfer or if they charge a fee for credit cards) it’s obviously not worth it.

e: looks like CC is only an option for some payments so I think I’ll pass on Affirm

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 2, 2023