Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if it's generally better to look for apartments with availability in a month or for immediate availability. I'll be moving to the northeast (let's say CT/MA/RI area) in the summer. I'll be able to look for apartments in mid-June, and I don't know if I'd have more options for July move-in or August move-in or if it even matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Thanks, I didn't think about competing students. Don't know if I'll be able to go look at apartments for multiple weekends considering I'm in the midwest right now, but maybe I'll go on one longer trip (4-5 days).

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I currently use Credit Karma to monitor my credit. Is that good enough to detect when someone's trying to use my identity or does it miss things?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I can't remember if it was this thread or some other BFC thread where people were recommending books like The Big Short. Anyone have that list?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Doccykins posted:

There's a basic list of personal finance books at the top of the Long Term Thread, not sure if that's what you're thinking of?

No, these were not educational books but books about historical financial events. I vaguely remember Flash Boys and maybe Barbarians at the Gates being on the list. I'll post this in in the long term investment thread also.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Ah, the one thread I didn’t think of. Thanks!

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Nam Taf posted:

Unsure if it's been posted before but remember many of you can get a nice $125 windfall thanks to Equifax loving over your privacy. It's almost your moral obligation to make them hurt by claiming it.

The total payout amount may be much less than $125 since there is only $31 million available for claims: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/26/8932398/equifax-settlement-125-claim-wont-get-money-alternative-reimbursement-compensation

Still, free money.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Um, City University of Hong Kong is not some joke degree mill. While it's no Cambridge or Oxford, it is a serious research university, and a PhD from there is a worthy accomplishment. It's not an American college if that's what you mean by accreditation, but multinational corporations hire people with foreign degrees all the time.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Sure, but that's not what they were arguing. They were arguing that a PhD from a foreign university is a joke degree on the level of what you'd get from a degree mill here.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
What does this offer over say Creditkarma?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I have no idea where to ask this question, so I might as well do it here. Before I begin, I want to say I am not a finance guy so I don't know if I'm thinking of definitions and concepts in the right way.

I am very confused about a common statement that I hear which is "higher risk means higher expected returns". I hear this often when people talk about value and small-cap stocks overperforming. I don't see why this should be true.

From what I understand, this comes from the stock prices of companies coming from discounted future cash flows. The usual equation that I see is that the current price of a future cash flow is X/(1+r) where r is some discount rate coming from risk and X is the expected future cash flow.

I will assume here that X means cash flow under normal circumstances and not a true "expectation" that already takes various risks into account because otherwise the problem just further compounds.

My main question is why should your expected returns be higher? I understand that if things turn out well, then you end up getting X in the future which is higher than the amount you paid for it today. But there is also the chance you get something lower than X because of the various risks you were thinking about and those should happen often enough to drag down your expected returns to be in line with the price you paid. Why then should I get a higher expected return?

Is it that people tend to over-discount risk so that the drag of the risky occurences don't matter as much? Am I thinking about this in a completely wrong way?

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 21, 2020

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Ah ok, so this was what I had thought. People will discount more based on volatility than probability deems necessary which drives down prices more than the increased risk is hurting performance. Thanks!

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Wife and I are at around $450/month for groceries and $100-150 for restaurants. The wife is currently pregnant so we've upped our grocery just a little – probably $30-50 a month so far. We also upped our restaurant takeout during the pandemic to try to help the restaurants.

I have no idea how the baby (our first) will affect our budgets going forward.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Anyone have any resources for how to buy term life insurance? I think I should get a policy soon, but I have no idea where to begin.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
My wife and I have one car and it's going great. I go into work 2-3 days a week. She works part time and goes in the other 2 days, but her work is actually close enough (~2 miles) so that she can bike when the weather is nice. Our baby is not yet in daycare, so we don't actually need to drive her places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm interpreting "retirement" as "tax advantaged." Given that, I have something like 86% retirement accounts/9% taxable/5% cash. This is from my spreadsheets at the beginning of the year so I expect the cash portion to be a little lower now.