Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

I saw this on extreme cheapskates, but doing a week where you spend no money at all would be a neat challenge. It'd also help clean out your freezer and pantry.

We are kinda doing this atm. I am pretty much only cooking what we have in the freezer or the pantry saved up. My husband is taking eggs that we get from our chickens for his lunches, so that helps a lot. I'm only getting things from the store that are perishable, ie, milk/veg/fruit/juice.

So far so good...in a month I have already shaved $200 off our grocery bill, and our eating out/work lunches has dropped as well. I just got tired of seeing all that stuff in the freezer/pantry and realizing that we are just not utilizing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

We're terrible with this. We have so much crap in our pantry I don't even know where to start. If it wasn't such a hassle of tracking the stuff in there I'd build a database or something to keep track of what we have. But scanning everything that goes in/out doesn't seem like a great time to me :(

I went through our entire pantry and tossed the bad and out of date stuff...it made me sick to see the waste, both of food and of money. I am really making an effort for the two of us to not buy it cause "we like it and its on sale" cause it just ends up sitting there.

Cleaned out the freezer, and threw out anything nasty, overly old or too badly freezer burned (made stock out of the freezer burned chicken parts and beef parts etc if possible). Now I am making strides in cooking what is in there and in the pantry.

Seriously tho, I didn't realize how much poo poo we had bought and stacked away that we ended up having to toss. Once we empty out both the freezer and the pantry a bit more, I will be making a spreadsheet/list thing of some sort to keep track, and NOT get into this habit of "It's on sale, lets stock up" again. (Unless of course its for a food drive or something but its not going in my pantry!!!)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, right now I've only ate them at home but I figure I can get away with it because the owner consumes tuna on a daily basis. My office is also far away from everyone else and I can always turn on a fan, swig some mouthwash and then blame it on the boss.

For some reason I grabbed a small can of anchovies. They don't seem nearly as healthy and I read I should avoid tuna and other large fish.

Anchovies make homemade spaghetti sauce incredible....I use anchovy paste in mine all the time! At least you can use them up that way...

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I didn't think that this was worth its own thread so I figured I would ask here.

My husband is being offered an FBA (Flex) acct that will cover both of us when the benefits pkg gets sent out this fall, and I am seriously considering taking it up for us since I am in charge of all that fun stuff.

I'm still a little confused over the whole thing tbh, and have been reading up on it and am still a little lost. If I am understanding this correctly, it is pre-tax money that goes into an acct that can only be used for medical things like his yearly colonoscopy, my mammograms etc, correct?

I went thru today and wrote down all the medical expenses we have had over this year and it looks like this would cover most if not all of them, with some left over. It does say in the little paper that $500 a year can be rolled over into the next year if it isn't used up. So, if it gets rolled over does that lower the amount we can put in the following year? Or is it a cumulative thing? So, instead of $2500, we could have $3000 in the account if the $500 is rolled over if I am understanding this correctly. Or, is it that we only would put in $2000 to meet the limit of $2500?

I assume I will need to save all the receipts. Would we need to do anything special tax wise for it? Or for 2018 taxes, it should be on the tax papers we get correct like the 401k?

Do I pay the amount that we owe after insurance with the little debit card thing when I get the bill in the mail?

And lastly, any major cons that I am not seeing or realizing? Overall I think this could be a good thing for us...but I just wanted to get BFC's input on this.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Thanks, guys! I feel better now about it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Medical clinic offered me the option of waiting until June for a test, or pay $250 to get it done privately tomorrow.

Welp. Hope my health is worth $250.

Hope everything is ok with you! Good luck!