Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

On the subject of hiking: carry shitloads of water. I mean absolute monstrous amounts. I'd carry around at least 10L of water for 6hours of strenuous exertion as a very fit 200lb male; I'd err on the side of 2L/hour if it's 80+ degrees out. 10L weighs 22lbs by itself. This is extremely heavy when you're trekking miles/day and also carrying food and tenting supplies, but running out of safe drinking water when you're >3 hilly, unpaved miles away from your nearest water source which you still have to put through a potability wash is something I never want to experience ever again in my life.

Buy a bigass water canteen/camel/backpack. Try to make all your non-water equipment weigh less than 15 lbs.

Hiking a couple miles is easy, but doing the same thing while carrying 40lbs in hot weather drains the life out of you. Make sure to stay hydrated.

e: expect to get chafed in all kinds of terrible ways. Vaseline helps. Very slick/smooth undergarments and loose outer garments are best.

DNK fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

If I learned anything from my philosophy ethics/moralism class it's that the application of utilitarian calculus is fundamentally flawed because no one ever has all of the variables and coefficients right. It doesn't mean that the issue(s) at stake don't have comprehensible answers; rather, stop trying to fit a square problem through a round solution.

Value your free time as a virtue, perhaps as something that cannot be like-for-like compared with working time. Or stare at spreadsheets evaluating your time with drag coefficients based on how much time you're spending evaluating your time.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

$150/mo for two people is amazingly thrifty.

Even $500/mo for two people who occasionally eat out (restaurants and booze are included in this, right?) would be a very reasonable target, in my opinion.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Naw that sounds about right. Living (mostly) alone and packing my own lunches I run around $500/mo for food+booze+restaurants.

150/mo just sounded like some kind of amazing costco minimalism magic of pure chicken/rice/veggies.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

2lbs Deli meat, bread, yogurt, vegetable + fruit juice, milk, salty snack, and food staples (chicken+veggies+rice, spaghetti+sauce, etc) make me easily hit $50/wk. If I'm missing condiments or going anywhere out of the pale a single grocery trip can easily hit $100 without even trying.

If I plan on a cooking date it can cost up to $35 for ~3 meals (plus alcohol).

If I eat out at a nice restaurant (maybe once a month) it'll ring up to around $50 (with two drinks). Friday co-worker lunches (2x month) might hit $15 each (usually less).

Personal alcohol purchases for a month go to around $60.

If I travel on the road / not available for home cooking that's some kind of fast food (Subway Chipotle) (maybe 5x a month?) $7 each.

I don't spend extravagantly, but I also don't limit myself to the bare minimum. I like food. It's my single greatest expense aside from investing.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Tangentially related: asparagus is a grass and grows ridiculously fast + spreads like wildfire. Also, it grows in nearly every climate (although the season is different). It's hard to get it to start, but once you do it's unstoppable.

One plot (2'x2') will give you more asparagus than you'll know what to do with. Which is when you take up Canning/pickling as a hobby.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

For general fitness and weight-watching: eat small portions and try to stay slightly hungry. This advice works whether you're sedentary or Olympian. It's usually a good idea to go to bed hungry.

Power-lifters and bulking: eat until you're comfortably full at least twice a day, supplement your diet with protein mixes, and do triple set rotations of your lifts at least every other day. Snack heavily whenever you feel like it. Please note: you will gain a ridiculous amount of weight doing this, and it's not at all a sustainable lifestyle. However, if you want to become considerably stronger, it's the most direct path. Cutting weight is the step after gaining bulk, and it can be extremely difficult to achieve when you're used to a bulking diet.

It's not all that different from boom/bust credit cycles of finance.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I didn't buy anything in this Thanksgiving shopping season despite having the most money and income I've ever had in my entire life. It feels simultaneously lovely and awesome.

Mostly, it's that I'm thinking two steps ahead: if I buy this thing, then it means I have to buy these other things and rearrange my lifestyle to accommodate all those things. Total cost: 200% of what I'm willing to spend plus more poo poo to keep track of. I'll just keep saving my money.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The Buffalo Exchange network of stores are pretty great, imo. http://m.buffaloexchange.com/index.php?pg=2

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Anyone else slightly worried about how this inevitability of richness being preached by long-term diversified holdings is ballooning the market?

I guess there's a fundamental difference between this and the housing market ("guaranteed returns!") in that most retirement account holders aren't using leverages funds to buy more than they can afford. If the stock market crashes it won't ruin The Real World or ruin conservative holdings.

Still, I worry about overinflated P/E ratios and median income:housing price statistics :ohdear:

I'm aware of how long-term investing really does mean long-term; I'm just considerably concerned about the present, is all.

DNK fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 23, 2014

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I was confused by my match, initially. It's a 3% match if you put in 4%, and then a guaranteed Bonus 4% match at the end of the year, and then anywhere from 0-7% ADDITIONAL match based on company performance. All of this is separate from actual payroll bonuses.

So 7% minimum up to 14%. Pretty ridiculous.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

How long is your commute? I think that's the most important question.

Consider working 6am - 3pm and dodging traffic regardless.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Solar panels are decreasing in cost each year (manufacturing efficiencies as well as material science gains) with lots of R&D interest on many angles of the technology.

I'd wait 5 years (or until the technology starts to plateau) before getting into it as an investment... depending on where you live. It can be incredibly viable if you have the right location. If you're just slapping panels on a house in Seattle, tho, maybe wait a bit longer.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

At the very least do it for identity theft prevention. You use YOUR SSN as your provided W-9 when you perform professional services to companies who give a poo poo about accounting. They have to report this information to the IRS to ensure they aren't laundering money.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

In a savings account that you can access easily. Optimally, your e-fund isn't a huge portion of your assets, so taking a slight hit on returns doesn't matter.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It's his windfall. You would have done the sewer work anyways.

Figuring out after-the-fact that something you did was altruistic-by-happenstance and then looking to charge for it is a dick move. Unless, of course, the shared line incurs a reasonable increase in maintenance costs, in which case he should be held liable for that.

This ain't legal advice.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

That sounds like a very cool lawsuit that will probably be settled out of court so fast it'll make your head spin. The potential liability of your employer, if you win, is silly -- like millions.

I know approximately nothing about labor laws, but I think this is a great example of a time where calling a lawyer and paying them $200 could make you thousands.

e: I think the crux of the case will be on how vacation days are handled by the law for your type of employer/employee relationship. I know salaried-exempt employees have seriously reduced legal powers in some of these cases compared to hourly or non-exempt workers.

DNK fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 15, 2016

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I've figured out my financial poo poo and it's pretty cool. Thought I'd share:

1 checking account (@ Wells Fargo)
2 savings accounts (@ Ally)
1 taxable brokerage account (@ Vanguard)
1 ROTH IRA (@ Vanguard)
1 401k (@ Fidelity)

3 standard CCs (Citi Doublecash, Citi Costco, Chase Amazon)

2 flavor CCs (WF whatevercard -- like 15 years of account history, and AmEx BlueCash -- just got $150 spend bonus, planning on churning)

1 Car Loan @ 1.09% (@ ToyotaFinancial; 13k)

I use the WF checking as a clearing account / money hub and transfer to CCs / savings / brokerage each pay period. I'm hitting around ~15% into retirement accounts, ~15% into savings, and ~30% into taxable brokerage (still in index funds though).

Current plans: Engagement Ring, House, Kids in that order, starting now, and preferably spaced about two years apart.

I'm comfortable with my investments and their risks and all that. Feels good. Thanks for being around, BFC.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah hecka congrats and thanks for sharing.

:v: Babies, imo, are a significant macro advantage even though their initial cost is high.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Absolutely reveal you're considering other companies. If they ask for a salary tell them you're considering offers in (highball) pay range. Do not lowball yourself.

Don't let them know who else you're considering or when you'll hear back from them. Negotiate with them in earnest and let them know that you're willing to be hired once an acceptable offer is made (and NOT "in a few weeks when I've heard back from other place").

The correct time to present them with a deadline is when you're making final considerations and are ready to decide. Even if you're willing to work for the company that you're talking to, it doesn't hurt to give them one more chance to raise your salary.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Playing a game of Civ V via PBEM. My capital has, so far, lived up to its name.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

My 2 cents: never use more detail than absolutely necessary unless your audience is fully engaged.

I work with/between chemists, IT, and pure business and I cannot stress how little they (generally) give a poo poo about the details of each-others' work. When you're communicating across the lines keep it focused on what everybody needs to know. Usually this is no more than a short paragraph.

Shakespeare said it best: brevity is the soul of wit.

e: to dilute my point with more exposition... :v: this goes triple when you're bumping into political decisions. You may feel that explaining will help your case. It probably won't. Communicate the plan, give a bullet point or two for the reasons, and leave the nasty guts for phone calls and in-person meetings. Use blind carbon-copy ("BCC") where it makes sense for this.

DNK fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 17, 2016

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

On one hand, he's not wrong. The system is designed to make people give their money to other people. Sometimes it's legit exploitation.

On the other hand, this guy went 30k into consumer debt because he made bad decisions compounded by a lack of income.

On the other other hand, creating a generation of wage-slaves (no matter how they got there) is a really stupid thing to do.

On the other^3 hand, this guy maybe doesn't seem to appreciate that his own actions played a significant part in his current life situation, and his lack of remorse and overall clamor for handouts is distasteful.

On the other^4 hand, giving people who LOVE to spend money is a great way to stimulate the economy, so maybe handouts to spendy idiots isn't such a bad thing. To put a cherry on top, this fiscal stimulus is essentially what we're doing now except in the form of 1% loans to bankers. Trickle-down didn't work for taxation and it probably doesn't work with government stimulus either.

tl;dr don't read this

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The idea is that you could gain 2-3% of expected arbitrage -- the difference between prices in separate markets.

Example: you have a 100k loan with an interest rate of 0% that you pay over 30 years. At the end of 30 years, you will have paid $0 in interest.

There also exists a wishing well where you can throw money into that spits it back out with a 5% annual coupon.

If you got a 100k inheritance, what do you do with it? Pay off the loan or throw it in the wishing well? For reference, 100k compounded over 30 years at 5% is 432k -- a net gain of 332k.

The non-idealized version of this is -- of course -- more complicated.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Switch positions within your company. 7 years of experience will help anywhere you go.

e: that was rude, sorry. Naw man, it's totally normal to get burned out. Happens all the time. Usually, the solution is to do something different -- and preferably a job that aligns with what makes you energized! Is it working with people? Mastery over a subject? Do you like to have a few close coworkers or be a part of a large group? etc etc

DNK fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 15, 2017

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Free cash flow (and a history of it) is probably the most important measure of creditworthiness for a business. And for people too!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Also as an end-of-life plan I'd consider transferring money over into relatives' accounts slowly. This is ~14k per year ("gifted") that is tax free and legal.

Also consider buying things that she will enjoy for herself -- foot massager, a nice chair, magazine subscriptions, etc. This is all legit.

If she ever gets on Medicaid or into a medicaid-funded nursing home they will seize all of her assets and use it to pay for her expenses. You will not have the option of keeping much. Keep detailed records on when / how if you transfer her savings into any of your family's accounts. You may get audited.

e: you can also charge "reasonable" expenses for being caretakers / landlords, but this is generally taxable. Again, make note of this and make sure you count it as income on your returns.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It's real...
https://www.irs.com/articles/7-things-you-should-know-about-gift-tax

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/frequently-asked-questions-on-gift-taxes

and to the guy saying to prepare her estate with her money: yeah of course.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

FSAs are cool. You pay for your expenses like normal and then submit receipts to be reimbursed. No additional tax work necessary.

Not sure about the carry-over; I'd assume that the carried over amount counts towards the cap.

The danger of FSAs is that you overcontribute and lose the money. You're planning out your expenses, though, so I wouldn't worry.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

If an actual class action suit were to happen, I doubt the CFPB would find that paper shield intimidating.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The place I work at was recently acquired, and I now work at the new parent company. The average tenure there is 17 years :aaa:

Definitely a double-edged sword. People can get too comfortable. Then again, their company has doubled about 10 times in the past 25 years so they're doing something right.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

What’s your project management question?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Veskit posted:

I'm trying to do research on estimating project time and all I remember from college was how to do lines of code estimation but I don't want to sound like an out of date rear end in a top hat. Are there good resources for methodologies and things like that or do I just google like hell?

Sounds like coding, which I have very little as-a-job experience with.

Broadly, project management is about timelines and communication: communicating to people when their timelines are coming up; QED.

Understanding timelines is an exercise in knowing what you need to have done and whether those things have dependencies. This is the rabbit hole that needs the most inspection. In order to do x, I need to do y. In order to do y, a and b must align the signs, etc.

If you got all of that, google GAANT and use whatever tools at your disposal to recreate project plans that look like that. There are Excel, Google Docs, OpenOffice, whatever versions of makin those things.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Banks have reoccurring scheduled transfers too. Just skip the app and use your bank (unless it does something else I’m not getting).

My story is that I automatically contribute to Roth IRA, 401k, HSA; automatically pay rent, utilities, mobile, internet, loans, and credit cards; and have weekly scheduled transfers into my savings account. I’m happy if there’s anything left (which then gets tossed into either debt overpayment or brokerage acct).

It’s very hands off. The only time I need to touch anything is when the checking account gets a bit above the target float range.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

On the other hand, don’t spend early on your budget. Then it isn’t a budget.

This same thing goes towards spending on high-value items that you may need to save up for. If you have $200/mo in “shopping” and want to buy a $300 thing, you should wait until you’ve accrued a $300 balance (due to underspending) and only then purchase. Do not “borrow” from your future self.

It’s okay to adjust your budget and to allocate unusually-obtained money, but generally my thought is that your budget is probably in place for a reason, and deviating from it should be carefully considered beyond just “I want it NOW”.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

100% World Equities baybeeeee. Who needs rebalancing when you’re young and under 250k assets.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is this chat thread because i bought a car

but it was really heavily discounted, has a long warranty, and 1.9% financing for 60 mos so i'm claiming GWM status

Condolences on the purchase. Congrats on the terms.

What car u got?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

...my total retirement contributions in 2019 were 19.51% of my gross income. If I don't include my employer contributions, that goes down to 16.72%. I am happy with both numbers, but I was curious...
It’s about total, all-inclusive savings. So yeah, it’d include employer contributions. Another way of framing the concept is “do you consider pension plans a form of retirement savings?”. Yes, obviously.

quote:

Should we also be counting HSA contributions towards this retirement figure?
Should you count retirement savings as a form of health care savings? Almost certainly yes, so HSAs could be considered retirement savings. I wouldn’t be surprised if 50% of the average American’s retirement savings eventually finds its way into the healthcare system.

Now, the timing of when the money will be used is really the differentiator. If you only put enough into your HSA to cover current-year healthcare expenses, then it’s clearly not going to help you in retirement. If you vastly overfund (and invest) your HSA such that it’s growing much faster than current expenses are draining, sure.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I lurk a lot of BFC threads, and it’s funny to see the huge spike in posting when there’s a downturn. Meanwhile, I’m chillin in my index funds not giving a gently caress. Cheers to the rest of the bogle bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yes. Communicate. Make sure the hiring manager knows what’s up. Call / email them directly.