Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I may be moving to a new job in the greater NYC area. They posted it with a salary range of 45-60 and I said I was looking for at least 65 since that's what I was making at my previous job. Old job was 35h work week, state benefits, all tools provided, one site/no travel. This job is 90% travel with my own car to NYC and as far as Boston and Long Island, and even Florida and the Virgin Islands. Travel ranges from one day to a few weeks. They haven't made an offer but did ask "hypothetically" how soon I could start. Would I be way out of line asking for 85k based on all of that? They sound like they're urgently trying to find people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like a mountain of overtime. How does that work? Are you currently still at the state job? Because the state job sounds cushy.
I'm not, it was cushy but I didn't realize how miserable it made me until I left. I'll check about overtime since the guy said work away from home is still in business hours with hotel, meals, and expenses covered

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can always ask for whatever you want and i would be looking for pretty good money. as someone with a heavy travel job, you need to get compensated accordingly because you will most likely log insane hours of work+travel.

Make sure about their mileage reimbursement policy.
I'll definitely ask about reimbursement and compensation.

Spokes posted:

you would not be out of line asking for 120k. a few weeks at a time? sheesh
No way is anyone paying an A/V installer that much, but I'm going to push it. Supposedly more than 2 or 3 days is only a once or twice a year thing.

To be honest, I don't want this job and they're going to have to pay me more if they want me to take it. On the other hand, I've been out of work since summer 2021 and don't want to pass on something since I haven't had much success job hunting.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should accept this job after some slight negotiations

edit: you should also look for another job too but you should accept this job if you have been out of work for 1.5 years
I'm going to take it even if I can't get the salary up, but continue looking for another job with a <10 minute commute since there are plenty of companies in need of people around here.

SlapActionJackson posted:

And you should post in the negotiation thread for help with that slight negotiation.
Done.
quote="Cacafuego" post="529089082"]
Is this a company on the NJ side that starts with a C? I was an A/V installer for a bit in PA. It’s not a glamorous job, but it paid the bills.
[/quote]
The one the AMX guys in NYC refer to as "the company from New Jersey"? No, this is in northern Westchester

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

slurm posted:

How many nights away from home a year?
50-65% of the time, but I don't have to use my own car so no mileage reimbursement. The offer is $65k, health insurance, no vision or dental, 10 days/2 weeks flex PTO, and first 3 months at gross pay as a 1099 worker. I'm hoping to get an offer for way more from a competitor that said they would let me know by Friday, but I'll just have to see if they actually get back to me; that one was another "when can you start?" phone interview and the guy flat-out said "what we need is another genius type who has seen everything and can fix whatever the crew on-site runs into, and you sound like that kind of guy." I'm hoping it's just time zone delays since I'm on the east coast of the US, the guy who interviewed me was in Ireland, and his business partner is on the west coast. Not wanting to constantly travel is one thing, but salary plus optional overtime and all-expenses-paid travel on the clock makes it a lot more palatable since the farthest I've been from home outside of an airport was Miami.

I'm not going to give up and stop looking for something better, especially with the 1099 bait and switch that wasn't mentioned during the interview although the guy who runs the office is really nice and has a particularly adorable dog. I'm touching up my resume and writing cover letters to a bunch of single-location M-F jobs in my area. Aside from A/V and IT tech jobs, there are a handful that pay over $100k base, plus commission, that I'm more than qualified for if I suck it up and break my personal "I don't want to work in management" rule.

I'm also spending a lot of my free time cramming on Coursera Plus as a refresher on some programming skills that I've forgotten*. There's a potential, very lucrative opportunity with a medical startup and I'm currently reading a book on Keras for healthcare applications while practicing optimization problems in both TensorFlow 2 and
D-Wave Leap.

* - holy poo poo, do I feel old having learned C++ in my freshman year CSE101 class

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Does adding someone as an authorized user do anything positive for their credit rating?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was out of work for almost 2 years, was hired a few months ago, had a job with a stellar record for 4 months, and was wrongfully terminated over medical issues with an EEOC complaint in progress. What the hell do I put on my resume for that so I don't keep on racking up time out of work and don't look unreliable? Recruiters, the scourge of the earth, have demanded to explain a work gap when I was a full-time student, and I've even interviewed with one of the worst companies in the world, who did the same.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Put school on your resume like a job.

As for the recent gap - do you have kids by chance? They're always a good scapegoat.
No kids, but once I graduated college I tacked 13 years of full time work onto my stint as 2 there s a student worker. I'm worried about that gap growing and narrowing my chances because of absurd "rules"and "standards of HR.

I'm open to most I only have a few moral rules that rule out entire sectors or large parts of them
-- No law enforcement, or their supporters period
-- No defense industry or their supporters, unless it's
-- Not that consulting company. Yeah, that one.
-- Not the company that decided the opioid crisis was good for business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

You also could have been taking care of a sick family member.
You mean the 3 years I was my mom's primary caretaker while she had Stage IV pancreatic cancer for 37 months? (actual, not made up) I feel like that plus developing PTSD twice more on top of it sparks the "find any legitimate reason to hire this guy" response from HR.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 10, 2023