Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

C-Euro posted:

It's a "shame" that in that 40-hour workweek I'm lucky to have 20 hours of actual work things to do, any advice for stuff I can work on for personal development that isn't necessarily job-specific? I picked up a part-time gig as a freelance science journal editor for downtimes at work but they're laughably bad about sending me assignments.
There's tons of stuff you can work on part-time; what skills do you want to develop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I'm probably going to be doing the same thing myself in a few years, so I'm not going to talk you out of it at all :) Besides, homeschooling/private schooling is quickly growing and it's a great market to be in - richer families who will spend money on their kids to do well.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

lord1234 posted:

Are there any good threads about forming LLC's and the pro's/con's of one? I'm going into an Independent Contractor role, and need to figure out how to best protect myself both legally and tax wise. Being a Sole Proprietor seems like a good way to lose a significant amount to taxes. If not, can someone tell me who I should be talking to? Lawyer? Accountant? Financial Advisor? All of the above? I'm not rolling in money, but would like to figure out the best way to do this.
Depends on what you're doing, but just having an LLC isn't going to protect you if you really truly gently caress up. Yes, being an independent contractor means paying a lot more in taxes, make sure they are paying you enough to make it worth it. You still have to pay those taxes even if you're an LLC. The biggest benefit of self employment and the best way to save yourself taxes is setting up an individual 401k and maxing that poo poo out.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Okay, so let's talk health insurance. Mainly, how the hell do I get cheaper health insurance? My premium is going from $427 to $489 and my husband's is going from $299 to $335. What the flying gently caress, people. We may have a kid in the next year, complicating things. Should I be looking into a broker to see what's best? This is one of the most confusing things to me, I hate trying to compare the different plans. It's loving awful and I normally enjoy comparison shopping. Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. (I'm in Santa Cruz, California but would also appreciate general advice)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Alright, I made an appt to go see a broker this Thursday. Man, gently caress the american health insurance system. I want to be able to understand my coverage, dammit!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Devian666 posted:

Just talk to a broker. At least then you can get a competitive comparison. You might be able to get something tailored better to your situation.

Yeah, so I went to the "broker" and he tried to get me to buy dental insurance, death benefit life insurance, and accident insurance. When I asked for a comparison of health insurance, he just went to the website and did the exact same thing I had already done, then shoved me out the door when it became obvious I wasnt going to sign up that day. No useful advice at all. It was the loving worst.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Congrats, good to hear about the raise!

Has anyone else used annualcreditreport lately to pull their credit report? When I tried just now, they gave me my Transunion report and said that for both Equifax and Experian I would have to mail in a physical letter with proof of id before they could get me the report. Just wondering if I am an outlier here or if this is a new thing that you have to do to get all your reports.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Is there some sort of max cap on how many vacation hours you can accrue? Maybe that's the "available" bit. Like if you contributed $1000 to a Roth, it might say "Total $1000, Available $4500"? I dunno, just spitballing. Ask HR.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I bought a miniature copy of Winston Churchill and it only set me back $6500!!! Don't worry, I'll make it all back in tax deductions. Obligatory day-old stoner baby girl face, freshly smushed up from being pushed out of a vagina:

And just so everyone knows, a 22 hour labor and delivery with zero drugs and labial tearing was still less painful than reading through all of Boon's lovely posts in the BWM thread.

moana fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 2, 2016

moana
Jun 18, 2005

It was surreal but I didn't even feel it when it happened, it was just such a relief to be done with the pushing. Like, the doctor is all "hey look down" and there's this loving BABY sticking half-out of me, screaming and waving her arms around (arm came through with the head, hence the tearing). Worst part is recovery for sure but it's really not as bad as it sounds, I'm only taking Motrin.

And I didn't want to start a 529 plan before she was born for fear I'd jinx something, so I gotta get on that now. aw yeah.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Moneyball posted:

I'm so sorry, moana.

Goodbye, :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:
Yeah, what is that, like a week of diapers? Good thing we never have to spend money on going out for the next two years :v:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Congrats! Question for you - do you find people just saying the WEIRDEST poo poo to you about being a parent?
She's only a week old, so just a million people telling me to sleep when the baby sleeps. And two separate instances of people saying that she sounds "like a kitten" which is true maybe if the kitten is being slowly tortured to death. And lots of people assuming that my husband is incapable of doing things around the house like cooking and cleaning, which is irritating for him because I haven't cooked dinner in months and he gets no credit whatsoever.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Poor in spirit! But so far all of the baby spending has been pretty well covered from royalties I keep getting from my old gay cowboy erotica. Plus now that I hit my deductible, I'm going to get free doctor visits for the rest of the year! What should I go in for? I'm already planning on getting some moles removed and going in for some free therapy visits. Maybe blood testing for cholesterol?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

The way some of the reviews out there talk about it, it might be a somewhat decent way to slowly save up a decent little wad of money for rainy days. Does anyone use this app or know anything about it? Is it legit? Is it something that would be worth looking into more? Is there a better thread to post this in that I should go to instead?
"$1.25 per month for accounts with a balance under $5,000 and 0.275% per year (charged monthly, computed daily), for accounts with a balance of $5,000 and over."

Compared with a FREE savings account that you actually get PAID interest for, this is a stupid way to save money. Just set up an auto transfer of $5 each week to your savings account if you can't be hosed to do it any other way.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

asur posted:

I'm skeptical the average family with $50k takehome is spending $2.5k, or 5% of their takehome, on cable and lattes, but if they are then it works out I guess. I don't follow him so maybe this is incorrect, but I feel like he took his experience and generalizes it not realizing or ignoring that it is significantly easier to cut spending while maintaining a decent life if you're in the top 5%.
Lattes at the local coffeeshop where I am are $5 for a medium, if you have one every work day that's $1300, plus $100 a month for cable... not completely out of the realm of possibility. I've always thought this argument just blanket includes all the stupid small luxuries that add up when you're doing them every day - buying popcorn at the movies on Friday night instead of bringing your own candy to the matinee, taking Ubers everywhere, that sort of thing. I know that's doesn't address any of the structural reasons that people can't buy a house but that imo is more on the side of less income and inflated real estate prices than it is about expenses. If you're making decent money and live in medium COL area, then there's no reason you can't save for a down payment by cutting out stupid poo poo. I mean, I saved much more than $2.5k when I was a teacher living in NYC making $45k, it's not an insanely difficult thing to do.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

This just seems like a lovely feel-good proposal that would be absolute hell trying to enforce, and would result in a billion subjective calls by the fund's management. What constitutes "contributing to genocide"? It could be anything from defense contractors to oil companies to any Israeli company to whatever. I don't think there are a lot of companies that have a mission statement of like "eliminate those drat Tutsi" so really it would be completely unenforceable.

Anyway I thought proxy voting was over already but that's my take on it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ralith posted:

Why are you giving them a $1300 interest-free loan?
Because making a fuss over a couple of bucks to the people who take care of your children is Bad With Life.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

And Alliant is a good alternative if you want a credit union.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

High-interest savings accounts didn't used to be a thing, back in the day we used CDs and Money Market Accounts as short-term interest-bearing places to keep money. They are pretty poo poo now, though, compared to an Ally or Alliant account!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Mint will do that.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Well, I threw some money into the AdWords slot machine -- got 166 unique visitors but no one called me. It's hard to reach people!
Not a great time for it. Midterms and finals are good times to pick up clients. Tell your current kids you have some spots open if any of their friends need help with math, tell the parents as well. Consider boning up on SAT math and possibly other subjects to tutor the subject tests; this helps during the summer months.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This is not really a career for me because it will never pay that well and there's always seasonal variation
At my top end, I was making close to six figures tutoring and billing out my highest end students at $250/hr. There absolutely is room for a career if you enjoy it, but consider joining a small boutique test prep firm if you don't want to deal with the business side.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

That's like, so many pizzas.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

BigDave posted:

It's like Mint, but more oriented towards investment tracking.
Yeah, I use it to look at my asset allocations and rebalance if things are too far off. It's nice because it ties together like nine different investing accounts I have so I can see the big picture. Mint continually was deleting my husband's vanguard info because they couldn't handle that I had multiple vanguard accounts, after the tenth time of reinputting the logins I said gently caress this.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

dress to impress, roll up in style

moana
Jun 18, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

SA Forums are big on costly hobbies
a forum full of nerdy middle age dudes, it's like the prime consumer demographic for unnecessary hobby poo poo. If it isn't computer games and camera lenses, it's warhammer figurines.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Anybody doing rebalancing by bands right now? My allocation was pretty far off and I didn't even realize until I went in to look at how things got shook up.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I did my first ever client financial review meeting today!! Of course, I was really just sitting in while the CFP talked, but I ran the planning software models and nodded at appropriate times and I was wearing my fancy earrings so basically I felt like a real deal financial advisor, it was way cool. And we got them to ditch their lovely funds and go to vanguard, woo!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Mine is at vanguard. I would just do that.
Listen to golden dollar sign man

moana
Jun 18, 2005

"Dominoes" posted:

I'm suspicious that all predictions, including ones from respected sources, are no better than random
Yeah that's pretty much it. There was Buffett with his prediction about passive investing beating hedge funds that was pretty famous.

Edit: just found longbets.org, poo poo is pretty interesting!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Today I got an email that is a "reminder" about an annual 'maintenance fee' that they are going to charge everyone in June- $69. This has literally never been communicated to anyone, is not in any documentation I received when I singed up, and isn't on their website at all. Trying to decide how much of a stink I should make about this. It's not enough to leave the place over but, what the hell you can't just spring a $70 bill on people and pretend like everyone already knew it was coming.
On the one hand, this is pretty normal. On the other hand, it should really be in your documentation. Decide whether this is something worth leaving your gym over if they call your bluff about not wanting to pay the maintenance fee before you go in there to gripe.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

DJCobol posted:

I was just wondering where that thread went. What happened?

How do all y'all not have threads bookmarked? I never leave the user control panel.

also I am so glad it was moved, I have been waiting to find a good place to ask about buying a Miata and that is now the perfect place for that question

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Bring BWM home again

Ban zaurg

Single payer healthcare

That's my election platform

moana
Jun 18, 2005

There was a budget spreadsheet template posted somewhere recently and I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

enahs posted:

My girlfriend was recommended to some online stream put on by Tony Robbins
Tony Robbins is the self help guru idiot who uses positive thinking to help people walk across fire*

*note: you may be burned by the fire if you are not positive enough

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Foma posted:

We should pay some poor people to go over there and constantly say nice things about us.
If you pay lowtax directly I'm pretty sure you can get them all banned - good thing we don't have socialized healthcare in this country!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

literally this big posted:

What would be the best way to basically tell this guy 'No, I can't come in on Saturday, I have other plans already. This job sucks, and my weekends are worth more to me than minimum wage'? I may get fired for it, but at this point I don't really care. Would it be better to just quit?
Stop being a pushover on this, I know it's hard but you do not owe them hours of your life. No is a complete sentence. "Sorry, that doesn't work for me." if you want to be nice. Did you already tell them you would work this weekend?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Slap her in the face with your dick while reading aloud the MMM blog post Your debt is an emergency.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My awesome, soon to retire, boss wants me to stay at their house while they are away on vacation for 3 weeks.

Take care of their dog, take in the mail, water plants, etc.

What should I charge a day? $50?
Is there a chance they promote you to their position when they retire?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I also now have two BASIL plants, so winning on all fronts.
I have eight little basil seedlings in my garden, can't wait for pesto harvest!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

You just grow BASIL out in the open??
I live in California where everything good is legal!* Also it's just basil, only my old hippie neighbor grows pot.

*Except fireworks and pet marmosets.