Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
This is kind of a weird issue. I was hired for an analyst position around 2 years ago. Assigned a program and was diligent at improving and expanding the program. Things going well. The unit manager wanted more employees so they hired more and shuffled things around. A new analyst was assigned my program (which is a junior program to my new assignment) and I was moved onto a long-tenured analyst's program to assist its expansion. Except...I have relatively little work to do and the tenured analyst is totally able to handle the workload on their own. It's also not a program where the workload can be split easily, doing so would essentially create additional unnecessary work for both of us. I do 15 minutes to 2 hours of work a day and am extremely loving bored. While I get a lot of people would love this, I prefer to be more productive, learn new things, solve problems etc - dumb work ethic poo poo and being unproductive is giving me a fuckload of anxiety. I would like some advice for how to handle this. I want to bring it up to my manager and the unit manager and request re-assignment and have my own program but afaik there isn't other work to do - another new employee also has essentially zero work until the end of the year also. Should I just keep my dumbass mouth shut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

Have you considered a second job?

Yes, but I don't have much of a skillset to grab another full remote, undemanding, loosely scheduled job. While I'm very qualified for my current position, I consider myself pretty lucky to have been hired - my work history didn't really support the job description (which was wildly overblown). My current one does have occasional online meetings and I have to go in office a few days.

I would also not want to risk my current employment, if it were discovered I was working another job on the clock I do not think it would go over well and I want that loving pension.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Vegetable posted:

If you’re serious about it, you should find new problems to solve, rather than wait for your managers to give you stuff. Go talk to people outside your team and understand what pain points they have. Then help them informally or ask your manager for a more formal responsibility.

Alternatively just take online courses in your free time and learn new things.

Whatever you do, I wouldn’t directly tell your manager that you have too much time on your hands.

Thank you, this is good practical advice. WFH has made us very segregated both in tasks and socializing, think I'll make an effort to reach out to other new coworkers.